PDA

View Full Version : how to keep weed fresh...

whiskeytown
09-30-2005, 01:23 PM
I'm out - I will get more someday...

my question - I borrowed some from a friend, and he had just gotten his, and it was so much fresher, with the smell and stickiness then that shake I was reduced to smoking at the end of my bag...but that's the way my stuff was when I started - even a little piece would stink up the car when I first got it.

How do I always keep it that freah and loaded with that glorious THC goodness? - put it in the freezer? I tried ziploc bags (I needed 3 or 4 to keep the smell out of the apt..) - no real success...

I've got to smoke it less - my first half ounce and I can already feel tolerance kicking in.

RB

Slow Play Ray
09-30-2005, 01:25 PM
One small piece of orange peel in the bag will keep your stash nice and moist for weeks.

The Goober
09-30-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One small piece of orange peel in the bag will keep your stash nice and moist for weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, a bit of citrus peel (lemon or lime work as well) will work wonders. I've actually managed to re-vitalize some old dried out weed that way. I think it also helps to get a nice jar to put it in - get the kind with the top that latches down and has a rubber seal so it's airtight.

One word of caution, though, keep an eye on the piece of peel because it will mold eventually.

MonkeeMan
09-30-2005, 04:16 PM
It's been my experience that you should fire it up before it dries out. The older it gets the less kick it has (like my grandma).

Popinjay
09-30-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's been my experience that you should fire it up before it dries out. The older it gets the less kick it has (like my grandma).

[/ QUOTE ]

That sweet apple pie just keeps getting less and less moist every year.

gabbahh
09-30-2005, 05:02 PM
weed should not be smoked fresh.
Keep it in a cool, dark, non moist place (without draft)and after about
a YEAR your weed is still perfect.
Weed should be dried for about 3 months (which is not economically viable) before it is of optimal quality.
Most ppl hurry up the drying process so that the weed can be sold within a few weeks.
I am now smoking grass which has been in the garage for a year and it is better then when it was fresh.
Why u want to keep your weed fresh is a mystery to me. The stickyness is only caused by H2O which still needs to evaporate.

Slow Play Ray
09-30-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The stickyness is only caused by H2O which still needs to evaporate.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true. For the record, I never use the orange peel trick anymore - I was just providing a solution to what I thought the OP was looking for (sticky weed). As a matter of fact, I now just leave my bag open on my desk all the time to let it dry out. It smokes so much better when dry, particularly when rolled.

Slacker13
09-30-2005, 05:32 PM
In the day I would keep it in a freezer. Worked for me.

wacki
09-30-2005, 05:33 PM
humidor

tdp
09-30-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Weed should be dried for about 3 months (which is not economically viable) before it is of optimal quality.
Most ppl hurry up the drying process so that the weed can be sold within a few weeks.
I am now smoking grass which has been in the garage for a year and it is better then when it was fresh.
Why u want to keep your weed fresh is a mystery to me. The stickyness is only caused by H2O which still needs to evaporate.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong,wrong,wrong,oh so very wrong.Resin losing potency when it dries out.A mason jar with a tight seal works just fine.

thatpfunk
09-30-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong,wrong,wrong,oh so very wrong.Resin losing potency when it dries out.A mason jar with a tight seal works just fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Who do I listen to???? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

09-30-2005, 06:52 PM
Maybe this is too obvious to mention, but how about a glass jar? Baby food jars work well for small amounts, less than a quarter or so.

bravos1
09-30-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That sweet apple pie just keeps getting less and less moist every year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still feisty though!

PITTM
09-30-2005, 07:05 PM
okay, ive seen a lot of horrid weed advice on here in the past week(INTENTIONALLY growing mold on your weed, saying you DONT want fresh weed) now i shall speak the truth. i usually buy about an ounce at a time. when i get it, it is in a vaccum sealed bag from my dealer. i immediately open it and put it in a mason jar. if it is fresh when you get it, the moisture from all the plants stays in. if you find it gets dry put a SMALL piece of lemon peel in, but make sure its small, a lot of peel could end up ruining your [censored] by making it TOO wet and therefore unsmokable. i havent used peels in a loooong time. a sealed mason jar does the job JUST fine.

rj

gabbahh
09-30-2005, 09:08 PM
Sorry to be rude BUT...
Most ppl I know grow their [censored] themselves either for own use or for selling. Including myself... Ya want proof?
After cutting the weed, we put it in dryracks, and put them on the attic or an other dry and cool place.
After several weeks ALL the moist has left the buds. At this moment u can sell it to a coffeeshop (yup me from Holland)
In the average good coffeeshop they only sell dry weed. Most customers will not buy wet/moist weed. Most of the time in zipbags. When u put wet weed in a bag it will suffocate and smoking this weed can be harmfull.
When u put dry weed in a closed bag everything should be ok.
Keep it in a dry cool and cold(!!!!!!!) place (garage) it will not lose its taste or bang for about a year (know this out of experience). If ya want to keep it longer stick it in a zip bag and let all the air out.
Since THC is an oil, heat will evaporate it. Keeping it in a bag/jar will not stop this. Keep it cool.
Bottom line: weed should never be smoked moist. That's like cursing over here.

whiskeytown
09-30-2005, 09:22 PM
I wouldn't say what I had was moist or that sticky - but it was obvious to me that even that little bit of new stuff was a lot more pungant then my 3 mo. old stuff and seemed to have a bit more kick.

RB

PITTM
09-30-2005, 09:23 PM
how is this rude? isnt this agreeing with what i said like exactly?

rj

STLantny
09-30-2005, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record I asked it growing mold was a myth or not, and was told on all acounts that you do not, rather than do want mold.

gabbahh
09-30-2005, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

rj

[/ QUOTE ]
About.. But u said to keep it fresh/moist. Guess I misunderstand the moist part.
The difference between moist and very dry is mostly taste.
Sorry about the misconception.

Benal
09-30-2005, 09:39 PM
Get all the info you'll ever need here:

www.overgrow.com (http://www.overgrow.com)

Go to their forums.

edit: link nsfw /images/graemlins/frown.gif

whiskeytown
09-30-2005, 09:44 PM
um yah...that's an after work site, methinks - /images/graemlins/grin.gif

RB

gabbahh
09-30-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

For the record I asked it growing mold was a myth or not, and was told on all acounts that you do not, rather than do want mold.

[/ QUOTE ]
If ya let the weed hanging in a dry, cool and dark place after it has been harvested for more then a half year it starts to ferment. However... if the weed gets exposed to moist (and draft) it starts to mold (could not find the translation of mold, but what I mean: it starts to grow fungi) and smoking this weed is very bad for your health. You do not want to inhale spores.....
Fermented weed however can be safely smoked. It tastes very sweet (sugarry) and gives a different kind of high. Instead of lazy high, u get more of a active high.

whiskeytown
09-30-2005, 09:55 PM
I just know when I got my first stuff, I'd smoke one puff off a pipe, and then a couple more, then I melted into my recliner - I couldn't do ANYTHING....

maybe what I'm thinking is a decreasing quality as it gets older is actually me quickly picking up a tolerance -

RB

mason55
09-30-2005, 10:14 PM
If you're just a recreational smoker it would be better to buy a little bit at a time so you don't smoke too much of one strain. If you find that it's losing its potency, switch to even a slightly different strain and you should be fine again.

wonderwes
09-30-2005, 10:23 PM
A) Mason Jar
B) vacuum seal
C) (my choice) get a wooden keef box. Many stores will have them, it will be a multi layer wooden box with a screen and mirror on the bottom. Everything you store/cut you do in the box on the screen, which collects all the keef on the mirror. It will keep it fresh, actualyl make it cure better, and will be an excellent investment.

unlucky513
09-30-2005, 10:48 PM
prescription drug bottles

Sponger15SB
09-30-2005, 11:04 PM
Aren't you a Christian?

edfurlong
09-30-2005, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Aren't you a Christian?

[/ QUOTE ]

Crap, now god doesn't like pot?

whiskeytown
09-30-2005, 11:10 PM
yes - though some would disagree....

[censored] them - their opinions have absolutely no bearing on my relationship between me and God -

RB

handsome
10-01-2005, 01:03 AM
To keep weed moist, put it in a drawer with an open cup of water on the side. <---- from hearsay

mason55
10-01-2005, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A) Mason Jar

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of jar?

PITTM
10-01-2005, 03:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

rj

[/ QUOTE ]
About.. But u said to keep it fresh/moist. Guess I misunderstand the moist part.
The difference between moist and very dry is mostly taste.
Sorry about the misconception.

[/ QUOTE ]

i meant moist as in not dry. if there were a word for "perfectly hydrated" i would have used that. you walk a thin line with the chronic.

rj

gabbahh
10-01-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

i meant moist as in not dry. if there were a word for "perfectly hydrated" i would have used that. you walk a thin line with the chronic.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]
Excuse me for my bad english. It's not exactly my first language.
What u mean with walking a thin line with the chronic??? U base this upon 1 misconception of a word? U think I don't know what I am talking about? We have different opinions based on facts, and I walk a thin line...
U draw up conclusions up a lil bit 2 fast me thinks.

Now that I figured what u mean by moist (it is what I thought it was)...
Why ya all wanna keep ur weed moist is a complete and utter mystery to me.
Please do a search on Google or just go to www.highlife.nl (http://www.highlife.nl) or www.sensi.nl (http://www.sensi.nl) (these are both big players in THC country)
They have an english page on how to grow, harvest and dry weed. Both these pages state that weed needs to be dry before selling it. Dry as in when-u-try-to-break-the-stems-they-need-to-snap-easily-dry. We don't want to pay for water in our weed. (even if this is less then 5% of the total weight of the grass, we still feel cheated)

Let's agree to disagree.

PITTM
10-01-2005, 02:33 PM
every plant has *some* moisture in it. if youre telling my you prefer your weed to have NO moisture, then yes, i disagree. if it has no moisture it is dry as hell and generally gross. i am well aware it is unsmokable straight off the plant and needs to be cured and whatnot, but ive definitly gotten weed that was *too* dry. im not telling the OP to soak his weed in water or anything. just that a lemon peel or something keeps some moisture in. making it more fresh while still smokable.

rj

Slow Play Ray
10-01-2005, 07:57 PM
So speaking of weed...anyone in the UK wanna hook a fellow 2+2er up while he's here on business for the week? I'm too chicken to bring in on an international flight, and I sure as hell don't have any connections over here. I'm right outside Heathrow. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

gunt
10-01-2005, 08:02 PM
put it in an airtight glass jar, or smoke it all as soon as you get it.

PITTM
10-01-2005, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
smoke it all as soon as you get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Victor
10-01-2005, 09:15 PM
put it in a jar. some ppl like orange peels or a piece of the end piece of a bread loaf.