PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of my opponent's play?

slim
05-16-2003, 03:39 PM
5/10 live.....

I raise with JJ from UTG +1 and everyone folds to LP and button who call.....old man in BB calls (OM). Flop is 8-7-2 rainbow. OM bets,I raise,LP folds,button calls ,OM calls. Turn is a 7, and OMbets into me again......I look at him, he looks at me, I reluctanly call, buttoncalls. River is a 10 and now OM checks. Again, I look at him,he looks at me, I am thinking that he tried to bluff when that 7paired and since I called his bluff, he is checking becaise heknows I'llcall again. So Ibet, button calls.....now OM checkraises!! I am pissed off andmake a crying call.

results below.....

OM shows AA.

At first, Ithought heplayed it poorly but themore I thinkaboutit ,the more I think he played it smart.....and tricky.What do u guys think?

Play Tight
05-16-2003, 06:24 PM
I have read and re-read your post trying to make sure I fully understood the actions of the old man and I have to say I think he played it well also. Yes a point can be made for going the other way and three betting the flop as well as comming over the top on you a couple of other times as well, which he did on the river.

Ever heard the old joke where the old and young bull stand at the top of the hill looking at all the cows....The young one wants to run down and grab the first available cow...and the old one says lets walk down and get them all! This was pretty much what happened to you.

I'm sure others would disagree with me here but I tend to slow roll some great hands and keep more players in the hand. Yeah, I hate to get rivered (2nd pair, flush or straight,) but sometimes those are the breaks for slow rolling the best hand. You must of almost flipped backwards in your chair when he showed Aces. Well thats the same thoughts I like to put in my opponets heads, I gurantee that not only you but most of the table gave this guy a wide berth on future hands.

Louie Landale
05-16-2003, 09:24 PM
I think he played it great. His flop call in the BB looks perfectly natural and he could have a very wide variety of hands. If he 3-bets you will of course be VERY suspicious about his hand and he's unlikely to get any raises in again.

I have some doubts about his turn check since unless there is some doubt about whether you actually have a pair. River check-raise was great, since you aren't going to call if you have AK or some screwy draw, but ARE going to bet your likely pair of Paint.

Notice that early deception worked wonders in this case. This is why I almost NEVER cap it pre-flop.

I especially like the part about you looking at him and him looking at you. The experienced player is going to win that encounter just about every time, and he did: he figured out what you have but you didn't figure out what he had. Trust me, you are just about turning your cards face up when you engage in that sort of activity. Its kinda like trying to talk your way out of something during a police interregation: unless you REALLY know what you are doing you are going to give away too much information.

- Louie

slim
05-17-2003, 08:43 AM
Hi LL,

Actually, I think you misread the post. The old man did NOT check the turn, he bet it when the 7 paired.....that's part of the reason I think he made a great play, it kinda set him up for the river.

Here is my thought process and why I think he made a nice play:
Preflop: he just calls my raise from BB. I don't really like that play but from the BB it's not so bad.
Flop: he bets and since I raise, he now knows I have a big pocket pair and and nearly drawing dead to him. since hejust calls my raise, Iput him on top pair, maybe 2nd pair.
Turn: he bet again when the 7pairs because he knows I have a big pocket and won't fold.I call hoping he's trying to bluff.
River: because a relatively small card (10) falls, OM knows I'll bet....although I easily and almost checked.

Dynasty
05-17-2003, 10:09 AM
You've got an easy fold on the river. What does it take for you to fold an overpair?

Forget about your opponent playing his hand deceptively. You were throwing away money on this hand.

34TheTruth34
05-17-2003, 10:16 AM
Notice that early deception worked wonders in this case. This is why I almost NEVER cap it pre-flop.

I hope you mean heads up and not with like 2 or 3 other players...

lil'
05-17-2003, 10:31 AM
I think he paid the 10 bucks on the end out of a morbid sense of curiosity. If it's live and people are friendly, perhaps he could convince the sweet, nice old man to show his hand when it's all over.

Kevin J
05-17-2003, 10:47 AM
Seems Ok to me.

BacMan
05-17-2003, 11:52 AM
I don't like his play. Yes it's deceptive, but he lost money, either by not reraising pre-flop ($15) or by not re-raising you on the flop ($10). He shouldn't have won an extra bet on the river.

slim
05-17-2003, 01:15 PM
yes, it was an easy fold on the river but haven't you ever had one of those moments where you're so ticked off that you throw in the last bet before you really stop to think about it? If Ihad waited5 seconds to think after the CR, Iwould have folded for sure, but my money was in there almost before his was! He verbally said "raise!" andmymoney was in there!! I am so undisciplined!

Kevin J
05-17-2003, 01:25 PM
He shouldn't have won an extra bet on the river.

But he DID win that extra bet.. And it was no doubt due to his earlier play, which you don't like.

Kevin J
05-17-2003, 01:28 PM
I agree this type of payoff will usually not be a profitable one, but it doesn't have to be a total loss. He learned something about this opponent and that should be worth something. IMO-

Dynasty
05-17-2003, 01:43 PM
He learned something about this opponent and that should be worth something.

If he's really smart, he learned something about himself. That will earn him a lot more money than knowledge of an opponent ever could.

Kevin J
05-17-2003, 01:56 PM

Louie Landale
05-18-2003, 11:39 AM
You may be giving up whole bets by not raising, but even with lots of players in your future extra potential is VERY large. Not raising PF can get you two raises later, and extra calls to boot.

So, I don't want to give away my hand no matter how many players are in.

- Louie

Mike Gallo
05-18-2003, 12:10 PM
I think he played it well on all streets.