PDA

View Full Version : Party 20/40 weak pair Aces vs LAG's turn checkraise

Benjamin
09-30-2005, 11:26 AM
Opponent plays pretty well postflop but is very LAG at 51/23 preflop and very aggressive postflop.
Party Poker 20/40 (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
1 fold, Moderate LAG raises, 4 folds, Major LAG calls from SB, Hero calls. ... Routine call, am I correct?

Flop: 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Major LAG checks, Hero checks, Moderate LAG bets, Major LAG calls, Hero raises, Moderate LAG folds, Major LAG calls. ... Checkraise reasonable? Other line preferred?

Turn: Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Major LAG checks, Hero bets, Major LAG raises ... ??? I routinely call down from here, but I'm wondering if a fold is a reasonable option? Or call turn/fold river if nothing comes to give me at minimum a shot at a split vs a higher kicker?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Benjamin

Jeffage
09-30-2005, 11:32 AM
Betting the flop is much better than checkraising it and building a big pot/eliminating no one. Plus, if your opponent has a big ace you set him up to be able to extract the most from you by raising the turn. Betting the flop makes hand easier to play also bc if LP has a big ace he will probably still raise right off with the SB involved. And he might also raise with something like JJ looking for a walk so turn goes check-check, river gets you paid in that spot.

Jeff

09-30-2005, 11:53 AM
I fold right here. I dont think I'll get saved too much by kicker, i feel even pairing my 5 might not win the pot. Villians like looks a lot like QQ, AQ, AK. He knows you have an Ace and he doesn't care much. You say he is a major LAG but does he play well postflop? If he is a complete doofus I might call down but I would need some damn good signs to call it down.

Benjamin
09-30-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Betting the flop is much better than checkraising it and building a big pot/eliminating no one. Plus, if your opponent has a big ace you set him up to be able to extract the most from you by raising the turn. Betting the flop makes hand easier to play also bc if LP has a big ace he will probably still raise right off with the SB involved. And he might also raise with something like JJ looking for a walk so turn goes check-check, river gets you paid in that spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your comments, Jeff. I can see how betting out can work better in some situations. In this case I do make it hard for myself with the checkraise to get away for anything less than 2 BB if I'm beaten ... though I admit that I sometimes have trouble throwing away top pair aces unless it comes to me 2 bets. /images/graemlins/frown.gif In this case my checkraise did eliminate the LP after inducing a bet from him ... when you are ahead of both you tend to get more out of them with the checkraise, no?

Is check/calling the flop a viable line ... the LP auto bets, I see the SB call it, I should be thinking right there that I'm probably behind or possibly splitting with another weak ace. Q comes the turn, SB either bets out or goes for the check raise, which likely misses if I'm not driving the betting the way I did. Hmm, weak aces are a pain.

Benjamin
09-30-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I fold right here. I dont think I'll get saved too much by kicker, i feel even pairing my 5 might not win the pot. Villians like looks a lot like QQ, AQ, AK. He knows you have an Ace and he doesn't care much. You say he is a major LAG but does he play well postflop? If he is a complete doofus I might call down but I would need some damn good signs to call it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he plays pretty well postflop ... sometimes a bit over aggressive as you might guess, but in a way that makes it very difficult to play against, not just brain-dead spewing.

He sure did signal that he doesn't care about me having an ace with that checkraise, you got that right. Damn, why do I find it so hard to fold to these bastards in this kind of situation?

You pegged it. He was on AQ. I think the chance I'm ahead there, given the lack of draws, is very slim and I should fold to the turn checkraise.

Do you have any opinions about the line on the flop? Bet out, checkraise, or check/call?

Benjamin