PDA

View Full Version : Put myself to the test?

Entity
09-30-2005, 11:11 AM
One bad limper and I raise ATo in MP. Coldcalled by a somewhat unknown player on the button who I have limited notes on: he raised A8o from the blinds 3-ways, bet a K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif5/images/graemlins/spade.gif7/images/graemlins/spade.gif flop, called a checkraise, then raised a 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif turn. So I'm convinced that he's got aggression in him, but I'm not sure in what quantities.

The flop is K/images/graemlins/club.gif2/images/graemlins/heart.gif8/images/graemlins/heart.gif. Limper checks, I bet, Button calls, limper folds. The turn is the 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Check or bet, and is it close? If I check, what's the best plan on the turn/river? What about if I bet?

Rob

09-30-2005, 11:16 AM
Villain sounds pretty damn LAGgy to me. I'd put him on two high-ish cards and bet the turn. I think you'll probably pick up the pot right there. If he calls the turn, check-call the river unimproved and pick off his bluff. If he raises the turn then you're in a tough spot, but I'd lean toward folding.

krishanleong
09-30-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Villain sounds pretty damn LAGgy to me. I'd put him on two high-ish cards and bet the turn. I think you'll probably pick up the pot right there. If he calls the turn, check-call the river unimproved and pick off his bluff. If he raises the turn then you're in a tough spot, but I'd lean toward folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems good. I'll also sometimes just check-call check-call.

Krishan

MAxx
09-30-2005, 11:20 AM
Rob-

I have found myself in this similar position recently for sure, maybe several times.

I decided not to bet the turn because I didn't want to call a raise, and I really wouldn't like folding to this guys raise eiter. Another words- a bet/fold doesn't seem like a solid turn strategy against this player heads up in this spot. I'd check call the turn.... and I am leaning on ckeckcalling the river as well... but I wanna see his turn action and the river card before I absolutely commit to showing down.

09-30-2005, 11:26 AM
The problem with check-calling the turn is that hero's ahead here most of the time, which means you want to charge villain to see the river card (and would be perfectly happy to take down a decent-sized pot right there if he folds). There's also an outside change he folds a small pair.

09-30-2005, 11:29 AM
If he had a piece of this flop he would have raised. He sounds aggresive enough, that if you check to him he will bet. Which I would like him to do, as it keeps me from having to decide what to do vs. a raise, and gets more money out of crap that was just peeling the flop. The pot is still small enough that you'd like him betting his nothing as opposed to folding it.

09-30-2005, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There's also an outside change he folds a small pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he called the flop with his small pair, this turn card does absolutely nothing in terms of making him now want to fold it.

DMBFan23
09-30-2005, 11:37 AM
true, but entity's bet may skew his hand range toward kings, and force button to fold where his flop peel had an expectation of a certain % of turn checks, free cards, profitable bluffs, etc. I doubt this opponent is thinking like that, but it's could be something more along the lines of "oh [censored], he bet again, he has it"

I agree that this opponent probably doesn't fold a small pair though, so yeah. just wanted to be a nit.

09-30-2005, 12:39 PM
It's not at all uncommon (or incorrect) for someone with 5 outs to call a flop bet but not a turn bet.

09-30-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not at all uncommon (or incorrect) for someone with 5 outs to call a flop bet but not a turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

An aggro opponent who paired that flop, doesn't call, he raises.

09-30-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like you're making my argument for me. Another reason to bet.

setjes
09-30-2005, 01:10 PM
Lets say u c/c the turn, what is ur plan when u hit ur A on the river, and do u have a different plan when u hit ur T?

09-30-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like you're making my argument for me. Another reason to bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

why? If you are are ahead, and he is aggresive, you profit more from him putting money in the pot when he bets when checked to, than you do from him folding.

Shillx
09-30-2005, 01:20 PM
If he really will raise the flop with any pair/draw, him calling means that he either has Ax, 2 undercards or a big hand like a set of twos. If he did call on the flop with 2 undercards, the 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif on 4th street probably helped his hand in some way. It might have paired his hand or gave him an OESD or gutterball.

It sounds like this is the type of player who might raise if he picked up a draw (with something like J9). He also sounds like the kind of player who will not take a free card with that same hand. For this reason I like checking and calling here and then again on the river. If he will check behind with hands that have outs then it becomes trickier. This seems like the type that will bluff raise or semi-bluff raise at or somewhat above that frequency that makes your brain hurt. No matter what you do against a turn raise, he is going to get the better end of the deal.

Brad

B Dids
09-30-2005, 01:45 PM
Feels like a bet/fold?

Aggro plays in these spots tend to pop the flop with something here IMO, so you're likely taking it down with a bet. If he raises, I don't have a problem folding...

Victor
09-30-2005, 01:49 PM
you guys realize he semibluffed a turn earlier with no pair, no draw and a weak a-high after a flop cr. do we really want to get blown off a hand by a player who has already demonstrated he is capable of pulling moves on the turn?

i vote check/call and check/call.

B Dids
09-30-2005, 01:52 PM
I think the biggest argument for betting is just that I think we win the pot here a lot. The earlier hand had flop shenanigans and he was the preflop raiser. In this hand he's just calling and hasn't shown any agression. Feels different and just in my experience, he's got jank here a lot.

Victor
09-30-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
just in my experience, he's got jank here a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

if he is willing to raise the turn with jank then we are giving up a lot.

if he is willing to bet when checked to with jank, then we are gaining a lot.