PDA

View Full Version : What do my grades translate to in GPA?

partygirluk
09-30-2005, 10:49 AM
I am applying to phd programs in the U.S. It is effing stressful. I have been to sites which show the details of people who applied to similar schools to those I wish to get into. This will list their GPA/GRE scores etc. I want to know how my undergraduate scores compare to theirs as I am worried that I am wasting my time applying to Harvard etc.

Over here you get a % score for each module (course) you take. They get averaged to give you that final score. Depending on your score, you will get a classification

either:

1:1 - The best you can get. Typically 5-10% get this.
2:1 - The standard score. Considered pretty good.
2:2 - A bit substandard. A blemish, but not disgraceful
3 - Not good.
Pass - Really really not good at all.
Fail - ysscky

Now, the percentage required to get a 1:1 will differ by uni and course. E.g. for maths at cambridge, 40% will get you a first. Also, a first at cambridge is gonna be worth a lot more than a first from some crappy institution.

Anyway, I studied at a very good university, but not a great one. 70% would get you a 1:1. I got about 73.5% or so. This got me 3rd place out of a year of 170 odd. The 2 people who surpassed me did so comfortably, getting about 77-78%.

If you have got this far, could you estimate what sort of GPA my result would equate to please?

Thanks,

Dean

peachy
09-30-2005, 10:50 AM
3.5??? 3.4ish kinda hard to tell from that

lucas9000
09-30-2005, 10:52 AM
pi.

Soul Daddy
09-30-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This got me 3rd place out of a year of 170 odd.

[/ QUOTE ]
Does this translate to you graduating 3rd in your class? I'd guess it's 3.8+.

partygirluk
09-30-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
pi.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

partygirluk
09-30-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Does this translate to you graduating 3rd in your class?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-30-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Does this translate to you graduating 3rd in your class? I'd guess it's 3.8+.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, maybe 3.6-3.8

Soul Daddy
09-30-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Does this translate to you graduating 3rd in your class?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then I stand by my earlier estimate. Do you get the scores by module as well as the overall average?

JihadOnTheRiver
09-30-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I studied at a very good university, but not a great one. 70% would get you a 1:1. I got about 73.5% or so. This got me 3rd place out of a year of 170 odd.

[/ QUOTE ]

They probably won't care too much about a #. They'll have just as hard of a time converting your numbers as you have. Your schools quality combined with your success/rank in the student body, is what they care about.

danzasmack
09-30-2005, 11:01 AM
where's this site with the GPA/GRE score?

does anyone know how the 2 weigh out?

not to jack the thread but im applying to grad school. i botched my first like 2 years of school (nothing AWFUL, just not what I should have done) and got my act together recently. Just wondering what is in my range and where I should expect to get in. I'm coming from NYU.

EDIT: I want to go for math or econ, but most likely econ.

partygirluk
09-30-2005, 11:02 AM
Yes, individual module scores are available.

partygirluk
09-30-2005, 11:03 AM
http://www.econphd.net/decision04.xls

But that is only for Econ

peterchi
09-30-2005, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have been to sites which show the details of people who applied to similar schools to those I wish to get into. This will list their GPA/GRE scores etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
What websites are these?

Anyways, I would guess about 3.7 - 3.8.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-30-2005, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
where's this site with the GPA/GRE score?

does anyone know how the 2 weigh out?

not to jack the thread but im applying to grad school. i botched my first like 2 years of school (nothing AWFUL, just not what I should have done) and got my act together recently. Just wondering what is in my range and where I should expect to get in. I'm coming from NYU.

EDIT: I want to go for math or econ, but most likely econ.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd go talk to professors in the program(s) you want to get into. See if there's one in particular that you want to have as an advisor and work your way in with him/her.

Soul Daddy
09-30-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay. Just total of how many times you got each classification for your entire tenure. We can attempt a crude conversion from there.

jakethebake
09-30-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pi.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't like pie? pie is goot.

partygirluk
09-30-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay. Just total of how many times you got each classification for your entire tenure. We can attempt a crude conversion from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK.

My penultimate year counted for 1/3 of my degree. I took 12 courses and got:

5 firsts
5 2:1 s
2 2:2s

My final year counted for 2/3 of my degree. I took 12 courses and got:

7 firsts
5 2:1s

What does your crude conversion say?

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-30-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think 3rd in class is the stat to promote.

Soul Daddy
09-30-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My penultimate year counted for 1/3 of my degree. I took 12 courses and got:

5firsts
5 2:1 s
5 2:2s

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not 15 courses? Am I missing something?

partygirluk
09-30-2005, 11:24 AM
No, I am missing something aka a brain.

2 2:2s, not 5

Thanks,

Dean

Soul Daddy
09-30-2005, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What does your crude conversion say?

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, focus on the crude part. Multiply the number of courses by the quality points earned for each course. Divide the total by the number of courses to get the average. 1:1 = 4, 2:1 = 3, 2:2 = 2

1st year: ((5*4)+(5*3)+(2*2))/12 = 3.25
2nd year(weighted): ((14*4)+(10*3))/24 = 3.58

Total: 3.47

Again, this is very crude and I suspect it would truly convert higher. Like Patrick said, I think the focus should lie in your class rank. No one graduates 3rd in their class here with a 3.5.

partygirluk
09-30-2005, 05:45 PM
Ye the distortion might be due to a couple of factors

i) I scored some incredibly high grades (98,95,93,88) which still count the same as a 70 in your weighting system

ii) I scored lots more grades that fell at the top of one gradezone (just below another) than vice versa.

ooonicepot
09-30-2005, 06:16 PM
Im a UK citizen and I recently moved to the US for work purposes and I had to complete all the forms for both Visa and employment purposes. I did not convert to GPA due to the fact that I thought it was a worthless comparison due to the huge differences in the education systems.

I put down what class of degree I got and attached the transcipts from my university listing the grades I got in each module. I also put down what position i was in the graduating class.

FWIW I got a 2:1 from loughborough and it all went fine. If the college is a good one they will know the differences.

By putting it in UK terms it may help you stand out from the crowd also. A first is pretty damn good!

Good luck!

partygirluk
09-30-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

By putting it in UK terms it may help you stand out from the crowd also. A first is pretty damn good!

Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks a lot. However, I am applying to places like Harvard, where imo, everyone is going to have a first or the equivalent. Scary.