PDA

View Full Version : Haiku post, i'm being a nit... maybe i'll do a contest (with prizes!)

bholdr
09-30-2005, 09:48 AM
Okay... apologies in advance, but I'm gonna be a poetry nit for just one litle post here, since there seems to be haiku posts on this forum once in a while, and i think most of us are getting it all wrong, and, more to the point, could do a lot better... (god, i'm a dork... sorry)

I'm going somewhere with this, so bear with me, i know it's a long looking post. If poetry bores the hell out of you, just scroll to the bottom and do the poll, if you don't mind.

one little rant and i'll come to the point: The posters that are poking at the non-5-7-5 haikus gotta STFU and get some help pulling their feet out of their mouths. The 5-7-5 structure is not (even close to being) mandatory, it's a general guideline for haiku noobs and non-poets that provides a hint of a clue of an inkling as to what a good haiku's pacing and rhythm should sound and feel like when read or spoken. It's also a terribly limiting creative cul-de-sac, which bugs the hell out of me, if you couldn't tell that already... It's not all bad, of course, and many haikus ARE written in that structure (including most that i've written- but mine are generally crap, so, there). But, even if the point is just to have fun or be funny, to be a human thesarus or to recklessly cram one's inspiration into a rigid template for the sake of a grammatical convention is just plain wrong, people. c'mon. leave that garbage to limericks and such.

haiku, in breif

The greater idea behind, and the reason to write, a Haiku is to express a signifigant, momentary point of experience and/or inspiration in the life of the author. A haiku is not unlike an artist's black and white photo, it's a moment captured on film- the mind of the author- and then written down. Like a photograph is printed in the darkroom, the finished print is not exactly the negitive, but proceeds from it through the lens of the poet. the moment is captured and translated, but still remains true to the original exposure.

According to haiku enthusiasts and traditionalists in particular, a real Haiku can only come from such a transitory moment of inspiration (or, to some, enlightenment). It's a split second perception of the writer kinda trapped, frozen in the metaphorical amber of the poem. Some will go as far as to say that one cannot TRY to write a haiku, that such effort is ananthema to the whole idea of haiku... the photograph metaphor is really the best way i can explain it.

not being a poet (I am enthusastic, though ham-fisted amatur), I'm not claiming to be any kind of athourity on the subject, so here's a link (http://www.ahapoetry.com/haiartjr.htm) to someone who is. it's a pretty nice little explanation, with some great, classic examples, and some tips and techniques.

here are some examples, from the haiku society of america (http://www.hsa-haiku.org/haiku-mhl-award.htm#2002):

Mark Alan Osterhaus:

January thaw
the narrow path
fading away

Lenard D. Moore:

a pile of rocks
shifting in spring rain
the stiff old man

There were a lot in the other thread that i really liked... some of jakethebake's were fun and really inspired, imho, but i'm passing out here and can't dig them all out. here:

Jakethebake:

Your beautiful soul.
I can give it what it needs.
You won't take from me.

i like the give/take dichotomy a lot in that one.

and from me:

Haiku: i don't really care
late became early again
and i still cannot sleep

i'm crashing
does anyone here even give
a flying [censored]?

Don't bother to answer that.

Okay, here's the point of this whole dumb post:

If i were to offer a worthwhile prize would you participate in a (serious) haiku contest? The haikus themselves wouldn't have to be serious, I'd just like to see what this fairly intelligent and creative group that makes up OOT could come up with, given a little incentive and effort....

diebitter
09-30-2005, 09:55 AM
If there's a prize for volume, just give it to Jake now.

bholdr
09-30-2005, 09:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If there's a prize for volume, just give it to Jake now.

[/ QUOTE ]

there would have o be some king of rule against the massive attack approach to such a contest.

if one can't write a good haiku, they're not gonna stumble into one by just writing a buttload of them.

heh. i haven't used the word 'buttload' in years.

diebitter
09-30-2005, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
heh. i haven't used the word 'buttload' in years.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is it prison lingo?

bholdr
09-30-2005, 10:13 AM
close... elementary school.

sexdrugsmoney
09-30-2005, 10:23 AM
Dude WTF is your avatar?

bholdr
09-30-2005, 10:37 AM
this poll/potential contest... big money! I'm thinking like a hundred bucks... for reals, people... i won't bitch out like kanekungfu did last time... this post has been veiwed 38 times, and only seven people have even bothered to vote.

C'mon!

you could at least check the 'meh' box if you don't give a [censored]! i think maybe this particular forum is too apathetic/lazy to win my money! [/transparent reverse psychology]

oh, i want all the copyrights to haiku's posted in the contest if there is one- j/k. Could OOT actually produce something worthy of publication?

would it be better if it wasn't limited to haiku? some OOT generated free verse could be good...

nevermind, it'll be a haiku contest for $100, say... $50/$30/$20 for the top three in the form of a party or stars transfer if it happens.

c'mon. I'm not going to sleep until i get an adequete sample and some serious responses, favorable or not.

bholdr
09-30-2005, 10:38 AM
it's a little frog-creature from miazaki's 'spirited away'- a phenomonal, mind bending visiual masterpiece of anime from '04.

if you haen't seen it yet, go rent it now. trust me.

lem45216
09-30-2005, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going somewhere with this, so bear (http://www.bearden.org/) with me, i know it's a long looking post. If poetry bores the hell out of you, just scroll to the bottom and do the poll, if you don't mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll enter your haiku contest.

2planka
09-30-2005, 10:43 AM
Haiku writing style
Comes fairly naturally
So I'll play along.

Shajen
09-30-2005, 10:45 AM
F the written word
I saved money at Geico
I'm not a caveman

bholdr
09-30-2005, 10:51 AM
i'll decide wether or not to do this mother tommorow... ugh... i mean later today.

ugh.

sexdrugsmoney
09-30-2005, 10:52 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
it's a little frog-creature from miazaki's 'spirited away'- a phenomonal, mind bending visiual masterpiece of anime from '04.

if you haen't seen it yet, go rent it now. trust me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will do.

Thought it was slimer from Ghostbusters. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

bholdr
09-30-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thought it was slimer from Ghostbusters.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm... nah, but that'd be a pretty good one, too: Has it been done?

okay bedtime for real monitor off in 3...