PDA

View Full Version : check raised

09-30-2005, 09:16 AM
Villain is LAA. VP$IP 35

0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Little calls.

Flop: (6.60 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (4.30 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero ??

Tried a steal Pre flop.

Webster
09-30-2005, 09:22 AM
I would drop it. One thing I have learned . . .over and over, is when someone raises on the turn they normally have better then top pair.

Sure he could be bluffing but unless he has already shown you he bluffs a lot I put in on trips.

With that said - you have a choice - fold or reraise. Do you want to reraise him?? I sure wouldn't.

Absolution
09-30-2005, 09:38 AM
At first I was going to say this seems like an easy fold against your typical micro player, but against a LAG I think you can at least call down here getting 7.3-1 on the turn.

If you raise here and he doesn't have it, he's probably going to let it go so I think calling down is better. He's going to try again on the river most of the time and he only needs to be bluffing (or maybe small pair or something like KT) at it 25% of the time, which seems reasonable for this guy. As I said, against a typical passive this is an easy fold.

Absolution
09-30-2005, 09:41 AM
It doesn't matter that his preflop raise is from late position and the SB is loose aggressive?

Redd
09-30-2005, 09:43 AM
Preflop is fine. I think you need to pay this one off. You're getting crappy odds on a calldown, but given the read I think this guy plays a weaker 8 or 4 like this often enough to justify it. But I think it's close and am curious to hear what everyone else thinks.

@bsolute_luck
09-30-2005, 09:49 AM
i pay it off. weaker 8s would do this too.

sean c
09-30-2005, 10:09 AM
You basically getting 4:1 on a call down. Even the times he is bluffing he can possibly spike a pair higher than eights on the river so I think calling down is marginal and probably depends on a good post flop read some LAA just over play their hands and others just love to bluff so it depends on how this guy plays post flop.

Absolution
09-30-2005, 10:22 AM
You could also spike a K so I wouldn't worry about that part of it.

sean c
09-30-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You could also spike a K so I wouldn't worry about that part of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can spike a king and lose to a better king. My point is even if he is bluffing your going to lose this pot some of the time which makes the call down even a little more marginal.

speirs
09-30-2005, 10:31 AM
I will drop it, also against this player. Mainly because of the reasons sean described.

MrWookie47
09-30-2005, 11:28 AM
If you had a pair of K's instead of 8's, I'd be more inclined to call down, because if you assume he doesn't have an A, he's much less likely to be ahead of you or to draw out on you. This one I think you can let go.

09-30-2005, 12:13 PM
Hero calls.

River: (8.30 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.30 BB

I called it down and hated myself for it...he'd slowplayed trips !! thanks for the feedback.

@bsolute_luck
09-30-2005, 12:15 PM
what were the results though? did he suckout with the Q or had the A?

09-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Actually, I guess him slowplaying this till the turn is not such a bad play in this situation ??

09-30-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what were the results though? did he suckout with the Q or had the A?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, had the A bro. sorry I left that out, I've edited.

MrWookie47
09-30-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I guess him slowplaying this till the turn is not such a bad play in this situation ??

[/ QUOTE ]

Waiting to the turn to c/r or raise trips is standard play 101 for a lot of players on the internet. I have almost stopped making notes on it (instead noting people who don't do it) because it's so common. The more passive the player, the more sure you can be of folding here. Even if you had something like KQo on a AAK2 rainbow board, there are a lot of players against whom you can correctly fold to a turn c/r. However, there are some LAGs and maniacs who capitalize on this by bluffing at you. These guys are much less common. You have to make your decision on the player c/r'ing you, the size of the pot, and how likely it is that, if you're currently ahead, you'll still be ahead at showdown.