PDA

View Full Version : Don't underestimate the Padres

mrbaseball
09-30-2005, 08:57 AM
They will probably play StL in the first round. They were 4-3 against the Cards this year (3-1 in STL). Peavy is as good as anyone and if one other starter can get get hot they have a genuine chance. Their bullpen is well above average.

This is a team that set a major league record this year for the most wins in a month (22 in May). When they get hot the get HOT. If they get hot, who knows?

They will be large dogs. Public will look at their record (1 above .500 right now) laugh and figure they have NO CHANCE! Nothing could be further from the truth and they should only be slight dogs which would still probably have value in the crapshoot environment of playoff baseball. But they won't be slight dogs they will be huge dogs and opportunity will abound.

Bill C
09-30-2005, 10:01 AM
To add to that, The Cards ace, Carpenter, may not be quite what he was earlier in the year when he was pure money. His last 4 starts have definitely been lesser performances for him, and I think it's possible that he's begun to tail off, and to show some wear and tear.

His last start can be discounted, pretty much, as the Cards had clinched, and he just needed to "knock the rust off." But the three before that were all sub-standard for him.

I agree with Mr B that the Padres have some real value, and this will be most evident if/when they face Carpenter when there would be a huge number.

Just my $.02 worth...
bc

EZB
09-30-2005, 03:01 PM
what are your picks for tonight, how to you like the under in the sox/yanks game (11)?

I would love to hear any other picks you have for tonight

Feltin Licter
09-30-2005, 03:51 PM
What do you think the series price WILL be? I'm thinking

+350