PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a speech topic

Popinjay
09-30-2005, 07:23 AM
I am a college freshman taking a class called Introduction to Public Speaking. Basically we get up and make speeches. I've done 2 practice ones, 1 graded one, and all of them have elicited an above-average to very good amount of laughes from class.

Next up is the 6-7 minute informative speech. It can be on any subject as long as it is approved by the teacher. In about 11 hours my topic must be approved. I would probably think of my own but there are a lot of bored people here who need something to do. SO, let's hear em.

And please remember, the topic is going to be approved by the teacher, so no blatantly offensive or inappropiate suggestions. I'm thinking it's going to be a subtly funny subject that is usually not regarded as such. But who knows, I might get surprised.

Results and trip report probably to follow.

diebitter
09-30-2005, 07:25 AM
Belgium

or critique boxtree's sex Haiku (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=3508897&pa ge=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1).

or talk about the various approaches to handling a man who insults your significant other.

jakethebake
09-30-2005, 07:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Belgium

[/ QUOTE ]

This made me laugh but I have no idea why.

DougShrapnel
09-30-2005, 07:28 AM
How to give a speech about giving a speech.

Belgium - Thanks for the waffles now fck off.

lem45216
09-30-2005, 07:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Belgium

[/ QUOTE ]

This made me laugh but I have no idea why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same, those belgians crack me up every time.

rusty JEDI
09-30-2005, 07:32 AM
A speech:
-full of acronyms
-on Johnny Cash
-on college urban legends
-about historical events of 1986 or whatever other year most freshmans in your class were born. Or take that and spend a very short amount of time on each year from the birth year to now with major world events or pop culture.

rJ

jakethebake
09-30-2005, 07:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
-about historical events of 1986 or whatever other year most freshmans in your class were born.

[/ QUOTE ]

Christ that made me feel old. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

rusty JEDI
09-30-2005, 07:34 AM
A speech about what everyone will do with their lame arts degrees.

rJ

ChipWrecked
09-30-2005, 07:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-about historical events of 1986 or whatever other year most freshmans in your class were born.

[/ QUOTE ]

Christ that made me feel old. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yeah! I boned their mom!

diebitter
09-30-2005, 07:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Belgium

[/ QUOTE ]

Go on - I dare ya. I double dare ya. At the risk of breaking playground etiquette, I triple-dog dare ya.

ChipWrecked
09-30-2005, 07:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Belgium

[/ QUOTE ]

Go on - I dare ya. I double dare ya. At the risk of breaking playground etiquette, I triple-dog dare ya.

[/ QUOTE ]

How the hell is he going to do six minutes on Belgium?

"Once upon a time there was a country. They made waffles, and chocolate. Then the nazis overran it on the way to France. The end."

swede123
09-30-2005, 07:41 AM
Belgium is a pretty solid topic, but if you don't do this, pick something you are passionate about, at the very least something you already have some knowledge about. Speeches are so much easier when the speaker seems to know what he's talking about.

Swede

rusty JEDI
09-30-2005, 07:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Belgium

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Once upon a time there was a country. They made waffles, and chocolate. Then the nazis overran it on the way to France. The end."

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the muscles from Brussels and Belgian fries.

rJ

diebitter
09-30-2005, 07:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the challenge!

But to help, two words: Asterix, Tin-Tin

or is that three?

ChipWrecked
09-30-2005, 07:43 AM
meh. If he hasn't already covered the phenomenon of the current explosion of [card game], he should do that. But I figure it's odds-on that was his first speech.

ChipWrecked
09-30-2005, 07:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the challenge!

or is that three?

[/ QUOTE ]

He could talk about how the diamond traders in Antwerp are responsible for thousands of African kids getting their arms hacked off.... not much humor in that I guess. Damn I'm in a miserable mood today /images/graemlins/mad.gif

swede123
09-30-2005, 07:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the challenge!

or is that three?

[/ QUOTE ]

Asterix, Tin-Tin,
what else can I saw about
Belgium, not too much.

Swede

diebitter
09-30-2005, 07:54 AM
Swede's got it

Your topic is: Belgian Haiku

steelcmg
09-30-2005, 07:58 AM
In my speech class my topic was on the difference between the types of beer. Everyone loved it i got an A. I think i got alot of people to atleast try good beer.

swede123
09-30-2005, 08:00 AM
Did it involve sampling these different beers? For that even I would have given you an A, and I'm a hard-ass grader when it comes to speeches.

Swede

steelcmg
09-30-2005, 08:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did it involve sampling these different beers? For that even I would have given you an A, and I'm a hard-ass grader when it comes to speeches.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA i wish. But my teacher was really cool and he even said he tried some of the beers i talked about and it changed the way he thought about beer.

bholdr
09-30-2005, 08:05 AM
I was a TA in a speech class once... (i DO know what i'm talking aboput for once!)

here:

A speech will always be superior if it's about soething you know and love, vs about something you pick because you think OTHERS will find it intresting- an audience will generally, if the speaker is good, be exactly as involved in the subject matter as the speaker is.

so why not poker or some other form of gamboooooooooling?

-how to play texas holdem in 6 easy minutes... edit: better name for the speech: "how to beat the crap out of your buddies in your NL holdem home games" (people will pay attention to this one, and i'm sure you can come up with a way to pack enough info into a short time to seriously improve the skills of a bunch of amatures)
-you can't beat the table games, and i can prove it; just say NO to martingale and other betting systems... (this one's got big potential for some subtle humor)
-somthing like that... i don't know what your other intrests are. a usefull, but uncommon skill is always good, the best grade in that particular class's informative speech went to a dude that explained how to properly wrap a gift with common 'found' materials. it was actually really cool to learn that.

oh, and if you can, bring props. props are a big grade-booster in speech classes.

one more thing.. if you use one of these topics, i'd be happy to edit that mother for you if you'd like. i actually kinda miss editing stuff. (I will get you an 'A' or your money back!) PM me!

diebitter
09-30-2005, 08:15 AM
Seriously, take care if it's a subject you're passionate about/know a lot about - really, really easy to overshoot your time and end all wrong.

bholdr
09-30-2005, 08:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, take care if it's a subject you're passionate about/know a lot about - really, really easy to overshoot your time and end all wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

diebitter raises a good point, and reminded me of another important one: remember, or rather, assume, that your audience knows very little about your subject; Don't write a speech about poker and use the word 'variance' without a good, succint explanation, for example; also, remember that they're probably not as 'into' the subject as you are... it's your job as a speaker to generate that intrest.

bet, what does 'diebitter' mean? isn't it 'the please' in german? WTF is that? or am i WAYYYYY off? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ChipWrecked
09-30-2005, 08:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

diebitter raises a good point, and reminded me of another important one: remember, or rather, assume, that your audience knows very little about your subject; Don't write a speech about poker and use the word 'variance' without a good, succint explanation, for example; also, remember that they're probably not as 'into' the subject as you are... it's your job as a speaker to generate that intrest.

bet, what does 'diebitter' mean? isn't it 'the please' in german? WTF is that? or am i WAYYYYY off? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's German for die Bart.... die.

diebitter
09-30-2005, 08:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

diebitter raises a good point, and reminded me of another important one: remember, or rather, assume, that your audience knows very little about your subject...

...what does 'diebitter' mean? isn't it 'the please' in german? WTF is that? or am i WAYYYYY off? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I expect to die bitter.

Another important tip - which probably doesn't apply for your very short talk - best approach is:
1) Tell em what you're gonna tell em
2) Tell em
3) Tell em what you told em

ie prepare em for recieving wisdom, dispense it, review the key points at the end

Lazymeatball
09-30-2005, 08:55 AM
Tupac vs Biggie Smalls feud,

or eulogize Gilligan (Bob Denver)

Shajen
09-30-2005, 09:21 AM
the history of the "crop duster".

I got nothing.

jakethebake
09-30-2005, 09:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the history of the "crop duster".

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the perfect spot for it.

bholdr
09-30-2005, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's German for die Bart.... die.

[/ QUOTE ]

NH, sir.

mslif
09-30-2005, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Asterix, Tin-Tin,

[/ QUOTE ]

Caution: Thread Hijack!

Those were some of my favorite comics growing up... Asterix was so funny! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

diebitter
09-30-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Asterix, Tin-Tin,

[/ QUOTE ]

Those were some of my favorite comics growing up... Asterix was so funny! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, mslif, quick, we gotta go. So many threads to hijack, so little time.

mslif
09-30-2005, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Asterix, Tin-Tin,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, mslif, quick, we gotta go. So many threads to hijack, so little time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just took a trip down memory lane when I read about those comics, it made me smile. Sorry for the hijack. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

shakingspear
09-30-2005, 11:13 AM
If you're in a frat give a speech about doing something while intoxicated. Everyone in class will laugh and laugh, and you'll attain hero status.

But don't do it if you're not in a frat. They'll all just think you're a lamer.

Matt Flynn
09-30-2005, 11:16 AM
Gotta be poker.

Popinjay
09-30-2005, 03:09 PM
final entries time!

09-30-2005, 03:36 PM
The speech should be about the ingenious way the French unblock the sewers in Paris when they clog up with solids.

They have a wooden ball with a 90% diameter of the sewer. The ball floats along until it meets the blockage. The pressure then builds up behind the ball until it is forced through clearing out the solids. Also, they've got dudes who ride boats in the sewer.

Chicks who like either Paris or poop will be all over you like solids on a sewer ball.

Popinjay
09-30-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gotta be poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

But how to make it funny? I have a feeling it'd be funny but only to me.

swede123
09-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Ok, all joking aside. Do your speech about PEZ dispensers. There's some interesting facts about the origin of Pez, the crazy collectors of rare dispensers, the various candy flavors during the years and so on. You can even offer samples of various flavor of Pez candy. It's easily enough to cover a 6-7 minute informative speech. How do I know all this? Cause this was the topic I chose for a similar assignment back in school. It went over quite well, if I recall correctly.

Swede

Shajen
09-30-2005, 04:10 PM
great idea. I'd listen.

jgorham
09-30-2005, 04:18 PM
"How to give an impromptu speech." But you are probably less lazy than me /images/graemlins/smile.gif

M2d
09-30-2005, 04:19 PM
SIIHP-a viable form of birth control