PDA

View Full Version : 10/20NL, 6max Set of Aces when Flush card comes

fuzzylogic
09-30-2005, 04:18 AM
No-Limit Hold'em, $20 BB (6 handed)

Hero ~($3600)
UTG+1 ~($2000)
Button ~(3500$)

Button seems to be good player (28/20 after~500 hands) and is able to pull out some tricky moves.

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/spade.gifA/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG Folds, UTG+1 Calls(20$), Hero Raises (80$), Button Calls(80$), SB&BB Folds, UTG+1 Calls(60$)

Maybe I should be raising a bit more after limper?

Flop: ($270) K/images/graemlins/club.gif5/images/graemlins/spade.gif3/images/graemlins/club.gif
UTG+1 Checks, Hero bets $200, Button calls $200 UTG+1 Folds.

Should I have bet more? I almost never bet the full pot on the flop, don't know why.

Turn: ($670) A/images/graemlins/club.gif

Flush card, but now I have a great hand too. Whats the best line to take from here? I have 3320$ left and Villain has 3220$.

09-30-2005, 04:26 AM
Bet again and if raised reevaluate. If he does raise check/call down unless you fill up.

chuddo
09-30-2005, 04:37 AM
if button has been shown to be fairly agressive there is a good chance he would have tried to move you off on the flop with the flush draw.

also the fact both the Ac and Kc are out help a tiny bit, but not too much, as if button is solid he can, and should, have a wide range calling preflop in position.

since your stacks are not terribly shallow, if you wanted to get to a passive weak showdown you could check the turn, and if he bets then call and lead block the river for 1/2 pot. or if you checked the turn and he checks behind, you can lead the river for 3/4ths pot for value and to block, provided a club doesn't fall of course. (which is the obvious risk)

but since his range is so wide he may have a moderate holding such as KJs or K10s and just be looking to see what you do on the turn.

for me it is usually full speed ahead on the ignoramus express and im firing 500 here.

Mikey
09-30-2005, 05:50 AM
you check.

Hattifnatt
09-30-2005, 07:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you check.

[/ QUOTE ]

09-30-2005, 09:19 AM
EASY - Get yourself pot committed, get all that confusion and doubt out of your mind when he reraises you!

Yeti
09-30-2005, 09:24 AM
Check-call.

FoxwoodsFiend
09-30-2005, 11:58 AM
Bet 500. No real reason to believe he has a flush yet, and if he doesn't you don't want to give a free card and let any club beat you.

rwanger
09-30-2005, 01:29 PM
Why check?

Because you're afraid of the flush?
or
Because if you were ahead, you're so far ahead now that he isn't going to call with a worse hand?

or both?

freekobe
09-30-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why check?

Because you're afraid of the flush?
or
Because if you were ahead, you're so far ahead now that he isn't going to call with a worse hand?

or both?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got to believe you check because you're way ahead here. Only hands with clubs that he flat-calls with pre-flop are QJ and J10, and even that's questionable. If he's the kind of player who is more likely to bluff at this pot but would fold to a turn bet, checking is optimal.

mgsimpleton
09-30-2005, 01:59 PM
he can only call with QJ and JT clubs? is this a joke? he can't play any connecting or one gapping clubs on the button?

tdomeski
09-30-2005, 02:51 PM
He has the wheel. Check/fold unless given odds to fill up.

freekobe
09-30-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he can only call with QJ and JT clubs? is this a joke? he can't play any connecting or one gapping clubs on the button?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess he could call with connecting clubs, but calling $80 there with any connecting or one-gapped clubs seems a little loose, no? Maybe I'm wrong.

I just think there's a good chance he thinks you don't have the flush or that he'll bluff, representing the flush, rather than him actually having the flush. And, even if he does, you have a big re-draw.

geo8o2
09-30-2005, 05:22 PM
how about check/raise? that is of course if you think he'll bet.

if he goes check check, then bet out the river for value.

Big_Jim
09-30-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how about check/raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate bluffing with top set.

Big_Jim
09-30-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
calling $80 there with any connecting or one-gapped clubs seems a little loose, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

it is a little loose, but he's on the button and stacks are deep, so it defensible

fuzzylogic
09-30-2005, 11:05 PM
Seeing the fact that i had just turned set of Aces made think I had the nuts and I didnt like to give any free cards so i came out betting 400$. He re-raised it to 1200$, which I thought was a bluff, but I wasn't sure so "I had to call". I think that my bet was too weak and it begged to be raised, 400$ into 690$ pot...so I couldn't be sure if he had the flush what he was representing. River was 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif I checked and he bet 1200$. Because I'm a horrible calling station I called him and he showed 9/images/graemlins/club.gif7-/images/graemlins/club.gif.

Now I know I should have taken another line and I played this badly, but if I check-call the turn how much I should be calling on the river? Or if you prefer a blocking bet how much that should be?

09-30-2005, 11:48 PM
you say that he is a good player who is able to pull off tricky moves then you have to keep his range of hands wide including suited connectors. if you wanted to elminate the call from weaker hands dont only make a 4x bb raise over limper. as he is a smart player he can call with weaker hands like the suited connectors because 4x is not that big of a raise and his superior postion. Then when the flop comes you should know that those hands can still be in play so with the straight and flush draw board you should at least pot size bet the flop and only allow the good player to call with a made hand. Then on the turn you wont have to worry about the flush and then have a better feel and then know that your way ahead. Since you took the passive play on the flop and then on the turn and he pops it up then you have you have to realize the amount of hands that you are losing to which includes 79 of clubs and lay your hand down. i think your betting pattern was the reason you lost this hand because you allowed his range of hands to include suited connectors heading to the turn.

fsuplayer
10-01-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess he could call with connecting clubs, but calling $80 there with any connecting or one-gapped clubs seems a little loose, no? Maybe I'm wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are very wrong.

10-01-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Should I have bet more? I almost never bet the full pot on the flop, don't know why.

[/ QUOTE ]

I make an overbet here, I'm popping it $350 on that draw friendly board. If called it clearly defines their hand; generally a big draw or a made hand like two pair. If raised reevaluate - push or fold.

Turn card super dangerous, a real hospital card. I would check it.

Your flop bet signaled AK, KK, AA, at worst and very remote possibility of KQ. He re-raises you expecting you to call.

He's got a flush yoz. Call if you want to see a repeat.