PDA

View Full Version : firefox question

NLSoldier
09-30-2005, 04:01 AM
when I started firefox tonight i little window came up asking me which profile i wanted to use, adn if i wanted to create one other than "default" this had never happened before so I didnt know what to do.

I tried just exiting and starting it again but the same thing happened. So i tried to just use teh default but then it just froze. So i tried again and made a new profile, but now when i start it, it starts with the new settings which do not include and of my bookmarks or cookies or saved passwords or anything like that.

is there anyway to switch back to default? sorry if this is vague but thats the best i can describe it.

ChipWrecked
09-30-2005, 04:28 AM
This just happened to me at work also. Did you upgrade to 1.07? I think the install corrupted. I uninstalled/reinstalled and it's fine now.

NLSoldier
09-30-2005, 04:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This just happened to me at work also. Did you upgrade to 1.07? I think the install corrupted. I uninstalled/reinstalled and it's fine now.

[/ QUOTE ]

no i did not upgrade...

FouTight
09-30-2005, 08:26 AM
This usually happens when the program hasn't left memory yet. open up task manager and see if it's still present in processes.

Guthrie
10-02-2005, 01:21 PM
This happens to me occasionally, almost always when some nitwit's webpage demands that I download the latest whiz-bang player so I can enjoy the privilege of seeing their movie or listen to their awful music.

The only thing that fixes it for me is to shut down the PC and reboot. Just closing Firefox and restarting doesn't work.

10-02-2005, 04:28 PM
It's likely I'm not understanding the prob completely. Would this be "fixed" with the "return to settings..." (or whatever XP calls it) where the settings that worked before a prob occurred are used? I've only had to use it once, but it worked in my situation.

tpir90036
10-03-2005, 09:41 AM
pull up the task manager and make sure all of the firefox processes are dead. this usually fixes it. if it doesn't you can make a new profile and then switch back to the original one. after making a new profile when it prompts you, type "firefox -profilemanager" (without the quotes) into the "run" box and switch back to the default.

good luck,
tpir

NLSoldier
10-04-2005, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
type "firefox -profilemanager" (without the quotes) into the "run" box and switch back to the default.

hmm, I tried this and got an error message saying windows cannot find firefox-profilemanager please check that you spelled it right blah blah blah...

[/ QUOTE ]

TheTROLL
10-04-2005, 08:37 AM
It appears you spelled it wrong. There's a space.