PDA

View Full Version : Something wrong in my thinking?

09-30-2005, 03:41 AM
Ok, so I read here and there. I played 15 games some $10+1, a lot of $2+0.5. About break even.

Early stages:
I play real tight. Only raise with AA, KK, QQ, AK. The rest I just limp and hope to outplay the fish. Sometimes I get AA and bust a fish and could proceed comfortably to middle stages. Most of the time I don't play any hand at all, that's what majority of gurus say I should do. So....

Middle stages 50-100:
Two lucky fish $2500, one unlucky fish $300, one tight player $500, me $550 (9 out 10 times). Wow I need to play <10bb all in, aiming the tight player and the unlucky fish now. To make matters worst, the fish are raising and calling now, they know how to push! One even sits on my left, so my <10bb sb steal is real difficult! Most of the time I got busted.

Hey I am the good player here. How come I need to fight a uphill battle to get to ITM 90% time, whereas some fish who doubled up in early stages with Q3o gets to see me suffer! Something is not right!

1. So I am thinking...it could be better that I loosen up in early stage and with better play , hopefully get some protection for middle stage, unlike what the gurus say.

2. I am thinking whether the gurus suggested this early stage tight play so the students become fish?

3. Middle stages, the 10bb all in play to me is very risky, this poker champion, Michael Dannington something, said something about dont invest all your stake for a few % advantage. I am not sure where risking all my stake for this few % folding equity can really add to my profits.

4.Btw who first publish this <10bb all in play? Is there a name for this play?

5. Are you guys usually in situations like mine? Do you actually make money 15% to 50% like the books?

Late stages:
A lot of times, one of the fish gets here. And their play is not bad at all. Actually anybody can play like this. And I need to fight another battle to overcome the rake.

So what's your take? Pick the faults in my thinking.

bones
09-30-2005, 03:45 AM
Warning sign of someone who doesn't have poker in the proper perspective: Constantly referring to your opposition as "fish."

splashpot
09-30-2005, 03:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Warning sign of someone who doesn't have poker in the proper perspective: Constantly referring to your opposition as "fish."

[/ QUOTE ]
Couldn't agree more.

09-30-2005, 03:48 AM
What site are you playing on? How many starting chips?

If 9/10 times you enter the 50/100 blind level with only 550 chips, it sounds like you might be doing something wrong.

09-30-2005, 04:01 AM
Pacific Poker. I don't do anything at early stages.I just play tight.800 starting chips.

Annulus
09-30-2005, 04:03 AM
your screen name proves that you have thinking problems.

09-30-2005, 04:07 AM
I don't understand. Do you start with 800 chips or 1000 chips at Pacific? Are levels 10/15, 15/30, 25/50, 50/100?

I'm just trying to figure out why 90% of the time you only have 550 chips at level 50/100. There's something wrong there--- unless you are exaggerating.

09-30-2005, 04:11 AM
Pacific poker. Yes those levels.800 chips.

Ok maybe I exagerated. Something like

$2000 2/10 times.
$500 4/10 times.
$700 4/10 times.

applejuicekid
09-30-2005, 04:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is very true. I see that a lot here as people refer to their opponents as fish, donkey, etc. I think these people would do themselves a great favor if they changed their outlook.

helpmeout
09-30-2005, 04:54 AM
Unless you play 15+ tables at once you can raise some more hands preflop.

Playing super tight against really weak players is a poor way to play. Most weak players will play poorer postflop when the pot is larger.

Not raising hands like JJ against a guy who will call with any 2 and check/fold a flop he misses and call down with any pair is a crime against humanity.

You know why the so-called weak players get lucky its cos some of them actually dont play that bad. They may be a bit too loose aggressive but when they get some chips they know how to throw their weight around.

If you dont have a good read on their play they can be very difficult to play against.

09-30-2005, 06:17 AM
http://www.tightpoker.com/tournament/no_limit_sng.html

09-30-2005, 06:42 AM
okay, prepare for a hijack!

look at taht link, now scroll down, and look at the pokerroom banner on the left.

holy crap! that is why white people will never understand "bling bling". I know this because I am white, and that jewelry looks hot to me.

sahala
09-30-2005, 06:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

----- SNIP -----

Level 4 and 5: Blinds 50/100 and 100/200

Tighten up your starting hand selection to premium hands.
Since every bet is important here, you want hands that will make top pair when the flop comes. You want to be playing hands like AK, AQ, AJ, AT, A9 (six or less players), Ace/x (4 or less players), KQ, KJ (late position), and pocket pairs. More often than not though, you want to be raising these hands instead of simply calling.

Fatdogs12
09-30-2005, 08:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since every bet is important here, you want hands that will make top pair when the flop comes. You want to be playing hands like AK, AQ, AJ, AT, A9 (six or less players), Ace/x (4 or less players), KQ, KJ (late position), and pocket pairs. More often than not though, you want to be raising these hands instead of simply calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh this must be my problem, see I am pushing like crazy late in the game. I think next time I have 5 big blinds and there are 5 people left witht he blinds at 100/200 I will really tighten up. I definitly think that will make me more money. Playing tight late is definitely +++++++EV

Unoriginalname
09-30-2005, 10:46 AM
I didn't have time to read your whole post or replies, so I don't know if this has been said, but you should avoid those $2+.5 games like the plague. That is a 25% vig. That's even worse than the party 5+1s. I don't care if it's only a total of $2.50. That is an insane entry fee.

Nicholasp27
09-30-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

----- SNIP -----

[/ QUOTE ]

wow...to think all this time i didn't know that a9, kq,kj were 'premium hands'

Nicholasp27
09-30-2005, 11:09 AM
a) 15 games is nothing
b) 2/.5 is INSANE...why are u paying 20% rake?
c) how do u know that u are the good player here?
d) that same fish that doubled up with q3o also lost 3 other tourneys with q3o...
e) u are playing tight when they play loose and then you play loose when they tighten up on the bubble
f) u aren't risking ur entire stake...just the tourney buy-in
g) if u have <10bbs and raise 3bbs, are u then gonna fold when someone resteals and puts u all-in? what about when flop misses u and someone bets? if the hand isn't good enough to push with, then don't spew 30% of ur chips on it
h) the normal itm % is 40%...the normal roi is 10-20%

Insty
09-30-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So what's your take?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should ask stanzee for some coaching.
He's quite good I hear.

Nicholasp27
09-30-2005, 11:29 AM
that article is bad on many, many counts...try to forget what you read there

zambonidrivr
09-30-2005, 11:29 AM
Given your name of Anus, I'm certain there's something wrong with your thinking.