PDA

View Full Version : The combined intelligence of two beings

fatdave
09-30-2005, 03:41 AM
Can the combined intelligence of two beings be greater than the sum of the intelligence of each individual being? Or, can a being create another being that has a greater mental capacity for intelligence than the creator?

When I mean intelligence, I mean awareness and knowledge of all possible things, from math to physics to philosophy to logic to love.... I mean omniscience.

Examples:

A) Could we (as humans) eventually create a computer that can think philosophically about things that we can't even perceive based on our own biological limitations?

B) Could "God" create a being that is more omnipotent and omniscient than "he" is?

Edit: I am not asking to try and find a "hot burrito"-style paradox regarding the existence of God. This was a genuine question, involving a theory I have about the intentions of God.

09-30-2005, 06:12 AM
A- Probably
B- How would I know.
Shooby

tek
10-04-2005, 01:20 PM
Look at the combined intelligence of a couple a few years after marriage...

/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

xxx
10-04-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Look at the combined intelligence of a couple a few years after marriage...

/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, but that is an example of 2 people combining to be LESS intelligent.

Girchuck
10-05-2005, 09:54 AM
Lets expand the question.
Are we smarter as a society now than we were in the past, when there were less people?
If we are smarter, there is hope that we can become smarter still, by producing artificial intelligence and combining it with our intelligence.
Is our intelligence limited? The answer is yes. Is there a limit to which our intelligence can grow? I don't know.

As to your question B.
If you define "God" as infinite, that A and B are fundamentally different questions.

A asks about ability to raise the limit.

B asks about extending infinity to a higher order infinity.

B is not at all like A.