PDA

View Full Version : Party Poker ease of 10/20

PokerAmateur4
09-30-2005, 03:16 AM
I have been clearing bonuses at sites at their 1/2-4/8. 4/8 seemed big to me. My pal just tells me that he plays 10/20 with short term success and I tell him you will lose this game(as he is worse than me and I figured this was far harder than 2/4 and the like which I have been playing).

Tonight I tried the 5/10 and mostly the 10/20 party and rocked it for a healthy amount. It looks like 10/20 is not such a far cry from 1/2 or 4/8 games. This was prime time 9pm-midnight thursday. Any comments on how I am totally wrong? It seems like a good 2/4 player would do better on 10/20 Party. I was 4 tabling during much of this btw.

09-30-2005, 03:27 AM
Dono about party. I play stars 10/20 and its a big difference from stars 2/4

sweetjazz
09-30-2005, 03:32 AM
I played Party 10/20 full tonight, and it's the softest I have seen it. (I've only played it a handful of times though.) A lot of weak passive play and several players who were much too loose.

But overall it's definitely a harder game than the lower limits. You need to table select carefully and be ready to get off a table as soon as it goes bad. I've played several tables where there was only one player who was significantly bad. As long as he's totally clueless or sitting to your right, it's worth staying. But once he gets up, it's time to find a new table.

The edge is small enough that variance will hit anyone playing it and 50 / 100 / 150 BB downswings are going to happen. Against tonight's level of opposition, making 2 BB / 100 in the long run is definitely doable by a pretty good player. In general, I think making over 1 BB / 100 in the long run would be pretty good in the game.

These are just my best guesses -- I don't have enough hands to substantiate them as anything more than mere speculation.

EDIT: I think you stand a serious risk of losing your entire bankroll if you keep playing 10/20. Also, moving up several limits and then immediately four-tabling is very foolish, imho. Obviously, you want to multitable to clear your bonus, but that's what lower limits you are comfortable at are for. You should probably be taking shots at higher limits -- try SINGLE-TABLING 5/10 a little bit from time to time and concentrate on developing reads at that one table. You won't be able to crush a new limit by just showing and four tabling. You and your friend have been running good. Dropping 100 BBs (and 100 BBs at 10/20 = $2000) is relatively common, even for expert players.

dcarlc
09-30-2005, 03:32 AM
I have a friend who plays 3/6 to 6/12 live and does not win. He took a shot at 15/30 online and ran it up to $17,000 in 6 days. He thought that game was easy to. It only took him 3 days to loose it all back. Take the money you won and be happy. You are not going to make that jump and beat that game no problem.

09-30-2005, 06:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a friend who plays 3/6 to 6/12 live and does not win. He took a shot at 15/30 online and ran it up to $17,000 in 6 days. He thought that game was easy to. It only took him 3 days to loose it all back. Take the money you won and be happy. You are not going to make that jump and beat that game no problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point and it is good to reiterate that people always tend to confuse a "soft game" for what really is a good run of cards.

jayheaps
09-30-2005, 11:25 AM
1) sample size

2) actually, i think on average the 10/20 is the toughest of the 3 party middle limit games and the stats will bear this out. Some of it is probably preference though. I do much better is loose aggressive games than tighters one.

amulet
09-30-2005, 01:19 PM
i play a lot bigger. but each step i took i moved up slowly. it is a mistake to move up quickly. move one step at a time, do not jump 3 levels. and when you move up a level give yourself time to see if you can handle it. one session or 10 sessions are not enough to judge anything.

PokerAmateur4
10-01-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] OK. Thanks for the comments. I'm not saying me playing 5/10+ is right, however allow me to grant you more perspective. I play 3/6 live and beat it thoroughly. I am in the middle of reading Winning Low Limit by Sklansky, read Lee Jones, have read 3 or so NL books, and have been at thsi game, however mostly NL, for maybe 2 years now. Consistently I have won STT, MTT, and a mild amount of ring play($6k in overall profit?).

Futher, I am careful to jump from the biggest Avg. pot to the next and also have begun to track ridicoulously poor players and follow them. This cat was capping and calling with 10 6, I followed him to three tables where he dropped like 2k. One was 30/60 where the first hand was this as I sat to his left:

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has Kd 2s (three of a kind, twos).
Hero has 5d Ad (straight, five high).
Outcome: Hero wins 13.50 BB. </font>
Such things make me consider playing juicy party games at 7.5bb avg. pots and more at 5/10-30/60
Critique on my decisions of games and that hand are appreciated.
-PA out

sweetjazz
10-01-2005, 02:17 AM
Is there a book by Sklansky on Winning Low Limit???

Anyhoo, did you notice something about the hand you posted? You flopped the nuts (okay second nuts). You're gonna make a lot of money at any limit when you flop nut or near nut hands.

I bet you are at least decent and maybe good or very good. It would be a shame to see your bankroll ruined because you moved up too quickly. It's happened to a lot of other decent and good players before.

Anyway, I am glad you practice table selection as that is a skill that applies at any limit. Personally, I think tracking bad players is more effective than going to the biggest average pot table.

Perseus
10-01-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] OK. Thanks for the comments. I'm not saying me playing 5/10+ is right, however allow me to grant you more perspective. I play 3/6 live and beat it thoroughly. I am in the middle of reading Winning Low Limit by Sklansky, read Lee Jones, have read 3 or so NL books, and have been at thsi game, however mostly NL, for maybe 2 years now. Consistently I have won STT, MTT, and a mild amount of ring play($6k in overall profit?).

Futher, I am careful to jump from the biggest Avg. pot to the next and also have begun to track ridicoulously poor players and follow them. This cat was capping and calling with 10 6, I followed him to three tables where he dropped like 2k. One was 30/60 where the first hand was this as I sat to his left:

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has Kd 2s (three of a kind, twos).
Hero has 5d Ad (straight, five high).
Outcome: Hero wins 13.50 BB. </font>
Such things make me consider playing juicy party games at 7.5bb avg. pots and more at 5/10-30/60
Critique on my decisions of games and that hand are appreciated.
-PA out

[/ QUOTE ]

Flopping straights when taking shots &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Flopping straight draws when taking shots

PokerAmateur4
10-02-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Flopping straights when taking shots &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Flopping straight draws when taking shots

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Oh I posted the wrong hand sorry, right guy but now I can't find the hand.

10-03-2005, 03:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have been clearing bonuses at sites at their 1/2-4/8. 4/8 seemed big to me. My pal just tells me that he plays 10/20 with short term success and I tell him you will lose this game(as he is worse than me and I figured this was far harder than 2/4 and the like which I have been playing).

Tonight I tried the 5/10 and mostly the 10/20 party and rocked it for a healthy amount. It looks like 10/20 is not such a far cry from 1/2 or 4/8 games. This was prime time 9pm-midnight thursday. Any comments on how I am totally wrong? It seems like a good 2/4 player would do better on 10/20 Party. I was 4 tabling during much of this btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally find 10/20 to be very easy... though I can't imagine a 2/4 player understanding the game well enough to beat this limit... best of luck...

RyGreen18
10-03-2005, 09:11 AM
this posts sucks. the main reason i don't post here very much is because i don't want to make posts like these. useless. thanks for wasting a minute of my time

highlife
10-03-2005, 10:53 AM
you missed a bet, well done.