PDA

View Full Version : Knowing what kind of tourney you're in

suited_ace
09-30-2005, 01:50 AM
Lori mentioned (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=353 4440&Forum=&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=3532 353&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=22&daterange=1& newerval=1&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&bodypr ev=#Post3534440) something about knowing what kind of SNG you're in and adapting your play to it. I found the concept very interesting, but I didn't want to hijack the post, so I did mine.

I sometimes have a feeling for it, but I know I'm spotting only the extremes (e.g. being in a total push-fest with enough BB to fold ITM). So...... What kind of things do you look for to identify what kind of SNG you're in? Can you give examples? How much can your play change in relation to it?

P.S.: I know there's probably no simple answer and that this will evolve with experience, but try to express it in some way...

09-30-2005, 01:55 AM
it's amazing how much the texture of an "average" SNG can vary from one to another. I honestly think that one of the best things to look for is the rate of knockout. If there's only 2 people left at L4, then duh. However, if there are 10 people at L4, you've got one of two types:

Super Tight, so loosen the hell up already, or
Super Loose, and they're all just trading chips back and forth.

PP SNG's develop so quickly that Im not sure there's a better way to hone in on which type it is.

Hope this helped.

suited_ace
09-30-2005, 02:04 AM
Yeah, that's the easy part to spot. I was actually more interested in stuff like stack sizes and how to group them, that kind of stuff.

One of my plans it to study Game Theory specifically for SNGs. I think it can be *extremely* useful, specially at the higher levels.

And that's just one of the aspects of knowing what kind of SNG you're in. I'm sure that there's more than just "hmmm... I'm the only one left in level 3".