PDA

View Full Version : Building a bankroll

09-30-2005, 01:29 AM
ecently deposited my 100 on empire due to rakeback and have been playing the 5+1 sng's and did pretty well, then moved up to the 11$ tables. It was a completely different game, I went from being up 200 to up 25. My itm and roi %'s were rediculously low. I am not sure why I did so poorly, it seemed like I was experiencing bad beats almost every sng. Anyways, I really dont like the structure on party $ skins, too few chips. I really really really need a good site to deposit my 150 on, hopefully with rakeback, or good bonuses. I really just need a site I can do well on and build a bankrol. By moving to a different site, will variance still occur as extremely as it did on empire for me? I really need help, I need to build my bankroll. At the moment I am focusing only on building a bankroll, then I will focus more on improving my game(And I am currently reading harrington on hold'em and am looking to read others if they will help.[Ive read a ton of sklansky books and a few other random ones])All help is greatly appreciated.

09-30-2005, 01:37 AM
look, the R you're making at party is nothing at the 5 and 10s, if you want more chips, move to stars, there, you have 1500 to start with, but they drag.

I would really suggest looking at your hand histories for those "bad beats" you had... unless you're on a major downswing of variance, some of that could have been caused by sub-optimal play, and you need to adress that honestly.

After you have 300 or so, move on to bonuswhoring, and build the br to 1k, come back to pp and clean up on the 22s.

but before you go a-whoring, make sure you can play limit.

Hendricks433
09-30-2005, 01:46 AM
why do most people play Limit for whoring? dont mean to hijack. Just a quick question.

durron597
09-30-2005, 01:49 AM
If you really think the structure is the problem (which most likely it isn't) I would try PokerRoom, similar structure but the stacks are twice the size.

Hendricks433
09-30-2005, 01:56 AM
I thought the structure was a problem too and moved to stars and realized it wasnt. Bonus Whore or something till you get better and have a bankroll.

helpmeout
09-30-2005, 02:08 AM
If you are a beginner then you should play nano limits and freerolls instead of starting at party.

Checkout the microlimit forum for threads on stuff like bonus whoring.

09-30-2005, 10:54 AM
Before taking on the challenge of mastering sngs, I only played limit, usually at the .5/1 level and occasionally at te 1/2 level. I just find it to be very boring but I suppose that would be the best way to build a roll.

Nicholasp27
09-30-2005, 11:00 AM
well, 5/1s are bad because of the extra rake...if u play 100 5/1s, that is $50 u just gave the sites in extra rake

if u only have br for 5s, then move to other sites that offer 5/.50s...

as for br and variance, it's not uncommon to see -20 buyin downswings, which is -220 in 11s...u really should have 30 buyins of 11s or be able to quickly/easily reload your br with more money if u have less...

u are also going to experience worse downswings while u are learning...if u haven't learned about icm and bubble play, then do that next

my suggestion: put the money into a site that has 5/.5 sngs....build your roll and your game...once u are confident in your game and your roll is 300+, move to 11s

since u know limit, u should also get deposit bonuses...there is a forum here "internet bonuses" that tells u how to bonus whore and build ur roll to 1k pretty quickly playing limit to clear bonuses

and yeah, get rakeback wherever u play...that's $25 for every 100 11s that you play...a lot of money to just let go

09-30-2005, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you really think the structure is the problem (which most likely it isn't) I would try PokerRoom, similar structure but the stacks are twice the size.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to hijack as well, but can someone explain to me why Poker Room doesn't have SnGs that are larger than 1-table? I don't really like single table SGs. Does anyone else feel this way, or do you prefer the single table?

Nicholasp27
09-30-2005, 11:10 AM
i prefer single table...more $/hour

09-30-2005, 11:18 AM
He is a sng player, bonus whoring doesnt apply to them does it because sngs dont count towards the rake requirement

09-30-2005, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
At the moment I am focusing only on building a bankroll, then I will focus more on improving my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cant believe no one said anything about this. I think you are working backwards. If you work on your game, the bankroll will follow, but if you concentrate on the bankroll and ignore your game, and improvement in your bankroll will be mostly due to variance and luck. Tighten up your game and the bankroll will follow.

Rasputin
[ QUOTE ]
He is a sng player, bonus whoring doesnt apply to them does it because sngs dont count towards the rake requirement

[/ QUOTE ]

They do at some sites including Full Tilt and Stars which have more chips/slower blind increases than party. And at Tilt you can get rakeback.

Shilly
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to hijack as well, but can someone explain to me why Poker Room doesn't have SnGs that are larger than 1-table? I don't really like single table SGs. Does anyone else feel this way, or do you prefer the single table?

[/ QUOTE ]

They have other two (I think) and three table tournaments listed under the "Tournaments" tab.

suited_ace
09-30-2005, 11:31 AM
You can go to Poker Stars or PokerRoom. Poker Stars has a softer structure, so you get a lot more play for your $. I think you can get rakeback @ PokerRoom.

Before you move, though, you need to know what's your goal playing SnGs. If you plan on eventually doing this for a living, then there's no place like PP for $/hr.