PDA

View Full Version : 2/4 NL-- underpair/bad bluff?

tdarko
09-30-2005, 01:09 AM
i had been hyper-aggressive at this table, nobody knew me and they all thought i was a terrible player that was "just getting lucky."

stacks:

Hero: $560
Villain: $390
5 limpers, to me on the button with black 10's i raise it to $40 (i listened to your advice from the JJ-too fast? thread), the SB calls, all the limpers fold.

flop (K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif)pot~104
villain checks, hero bets $100, villain calls.

turn (K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif)pot~304
villain checks, hero bets $250

PoBoy321
09-30-2005, 01:32 AM
Looks ok to me. I think you'll see a draw here often enough for protection bet on the turn. Also, it's likely that you can get a hand like AQ or maybe KT to fold.

hit_the_set
09-30-2005, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
they all thought i was a terrible player

[/ QUOTE ]

You want to tighten up If thats your image. Any reads on SB at all? If you have a loose image, you are getting called with a hand like AQ..

As played, the turn bet looks good. You are representing AK here.

Big_Jim
09-30-2005, 01:41 AM
Any read on SB?

While I do think that you will see a draw fairly often on this board, this concerns me:
[ QUOTE ]
they all thought i was a terrible player that was "just getting lucky."

[/ QUOTE ]

How was this the case? Were you drawing out on people? Hitting flops with goofy cards? Making "sucker" calls? Overly aggressive?

Any reads on SB?

Typically, people will call you down here, in what is obviously a very good game, with a weak king fairly often, I think, or even check-raise you. On the other hand, you get most Qs to drop.

With a solid image, I think you can make a case for a bet here.

Check behind. Call only a small bet.

tdarko
09-30-2005, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How was this the case? Were you drawing out on people? Hitting flops with goofy cards? Making "sucker" calls?

[/ QUOTE ]
two of the times this was said their hands were folded and my hand was mucked w/o being shown. this table was a great game/bad players that complained about others being lucky when they lost a pot no matter what had just happened and boasted about their play when they won a hand.
[ QUOTE ]
Any reads on SB?

[/ QUOTE ]
will limp/call with a wide range of hands. has the ability to be pushed out of pots and the when he made the flop call i would usually slow way down against a better player that didn't value his stack. this player treated his stack like it was the fountain of youth, this is why i bet exactly what he had left on the turn.
[ QUOTE ]
Typically, people will call you down here, in what is obviously a very good game, with a weak king fairly often, I think, or even check-raise you. On the other hand, you get most Qs to drop.

[/ QUOTE ]
first reason why i had an inkling this could be a bad bluff.
[ QUOTE ]
With a solid image, I think you can make a case for a bet here.

[/ QUOTE ]
second reason i had an inkling this could be a bad bluff.

Sadat X
09-30-2005, 02:23 AM
Not betting this turn is criminal, IMO. It folds any queen, some kings and is probably your only chance to win this pot.

Big_Jim
09-30-2005, 02:54 AM
What do you think his range is here flat calling from the SB?

The I would say a tricky AA-KK (although he probably 3-bets) QQ, JJ, TT, AK,AQ. Can't really see much else, given your read.

If you think that he can fold AQ, JJ and TT here, there are 24 (which we can probably weight down to about 20 combos, due to likelyhood of re-raise from big pairs) that won't ever fold, and 18 that might and 1 that chops. (We could probably weight this down, too, due to less chance of making it to turn, maybe to about 16).

Since a good image would bring down the ones that he calls with, it becomes marginally correct, but as it is, I think it's a clear check.

tdarko
09-30-2005, 03:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you think his range is here flat calling from the SB?

[/ QUOTE ]
i think this may weigh more than my image. calling from the SB with 5 limpers yet to act told me he had to get some of that board, but i couldn't get this pot with a "clear check."

the range i had him on wasn't much since the only hands that jumped out at me were AQ/JJ.

i think sometimes you do choose a good table and you make a marginal play but it ends up working out b/c you made it against a guy that had the one X factor working in your favor...he valued his stack too much. but in hindsight i think i was lucky, if this were any other of the dozens of tables i might have been spewing chips here???

villain folded and showed AQ.

i posted b/c i felt it was the wrong play but found the golden player. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Lucky
09-30-2005, 03:25 AM
I dont like it, given they're going to put you on what you have...nothing. Any K is coming along, maybe some Q's.

I check turn, hope he's on flush draw or whatever and get to cheaper showdown.

Big_Jim
09-30-2005, 03:39 AM
nh

creedofhubris
09-30-2005, 05:03 AM
If they think you're speeding a lot/getting lucky then firing the second barrel on the turn is a mistake. But you know that already.