PDA

View Full Version : Car battery trouble

miami32
09-30-2005, 01:03 AM
I wonder if you guys could help me with this. I have a chevy blazer 2 door I think 2003. I parked the car and turned on the hazards. When I came back about two minutes later. I turned off the hazards and tried to turn the car on again. Nothing but a clicking. The lights were dim and that radio didn't work. I got the car jumped but the radio said LOC on it and didn't work after it was jumped or when the car went dead. We did positive to positive and neg to neg. It turned on fine but what happened to the radio? Is it possible I fried it? Or could the battery dying ruin it?

Any thoughts?

PS-the battery is not that old, and there has been no other trouble with the blazer at all.

Al P
09-30-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"I have a chevy blazer 2 door I think 2003."

[/ QUOTE ]
You're not sure?

miami32
09-30-2005, 01:10 AM
Okay it's a 2003. I've had it for two years it isn't something I always think about. It's relatively new, thats all I care, but now it's f'd and I just want to know why.

MrMon
09-30-2005, 01:12 AM
I've got a Honda, but I suspect it's an anti-theft thing on the radio. Similar thing happened to me after a battery failure. Go by the dealer and they can unlock it for you.
Should be a no charge item.

miami32
09-30-2005, 01:15 AM
could you explain to me what you mean by anti theft thing? I'm slightly car retarted.

Brom
09-30-2005, 01:19 AM
In my VW the stereo system is set to disable itself if the power to it is totally disconnected. This is to deter thieves, as no one would want to steal a radio that is useless once removed from the car (assuming the thieves know enough about the cars to know this).

Even when my battery died once though, it didn't kill the stereo. I'm guessing the dealer is the one to fix it.

miami32
09-30-2005, 01:21 AM
thanks man.

MrMon
09-30-2005, 01:24 AM
You got it. Disconnect the power and the thing locks up. You need a code from the dealer that is serial number dependent. Take it in and they should be able to unlock it in about 5 minutes. Happens all the time.

MelchyBeau
09-30-2005, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We did positive to positive and neg to neg.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. It should be neg to ground (part of the metal frame), not to the negative terminal of the battery.

Melch

tonypaladino
09-30-2005, 02:49 AM
Now maybe you've learned to get a seperate battery for that kinky stuff.

ChipWrecked
09-30-2005, 07:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We did positive to positive and neg to neg.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. It should be neg to ground (part of the metal frame), not to the negative terminal of the battery.

Melch

[/ QUOTE ]

shhhhhh. Battery explosions are fun.

jakethebake
09-30-2005, 07:53 AM
Read your manual. The LOC thing means the anti-theft device for the radio kicked in. You'll have to take it to a dealer or repair shop to get the code to turn it back on if you don't know it, which i'm guessing you don't since you don't even know what year the car is.

edit: I have no idea why they put these on a GM factory stereo. Who'd steal that?

TheTROLL
09-30-2005, 07:59 AM
It's fine to just admit you've bought a stolen stereo and can't get it working, no-one's judgemental here.

Try putting it in the freezer for a few hours, apparently that resets most of them.

FouTight
09-30-2005, 08:45 AM
Usually the code is somewhere in the owners manual or on a card somewhere.

Look through all that "junk" they gave you when you bought the car