PDA

View Full Version : LLHE missed river bet

Ralle
05-16-2003, 03:50 AM
Eighthanded low-limit hold' em game. MP calls, I raise on the button with TT. BB and MP calls.

Flop comes 3TQ rainbow. Checked to me, I bet, BB folds, MP raises, I re-raise, MP calls.

Turn is an 8, four suits on the board. MP checks, I bet, MP calls.

River brings a K, for a 3TQ8K board. MP bets, I call.

Afterwards I realized this was a mistake. I now believe I definitely should have raised since I think that there is only one hand he could possibly have held, and I beat that one. Can you see which hand it is? (Or am I wrong? Could he have had more than one hand?)

Also, was I right to re-raise on the flop? Or should I have waited and tried to get in a raise on the turn instead?

Bob T.
05-16-2003, 04:21 AM
Four hands, KK, QQ, AJ, and J9.

Because it is now headsup, I would have waited, and raised the turn, instead of reraising. If I was in first position, I would reraise the flop, and bet the turn. Actually, I would reraise the flop and bet the turn with a lot weaker hand than this, if I am giving up position.

Given that he check called the turn, I think that he probably had a pair of queens on the flop, I think KQ is his most likely holding, and he just made two pair on the river. I would raise the river, and expect to get pair off. If he reraises, I probably make a crying call.

Ed Miller
05-16-2003, 07:19 AM
I think you have a clear river raise. AJ is unlikely... as is a bigger set. Looks like your opponent just hit his kicker.

CrackerZack
05-16-2003, 08:38 AM
I agree with this completely although I think its hard to be faulted for putting the re-raise in on the flop... the point is you put the re-raise in. Heads up I like to wait to the turn with position, if i'm sure I can get a check-raise (he won't 3-bet a draw and check behind) I might try to check-raise the turn if I'm first to act. I think a raise on the river is warranted and will be paid off. I'm not sure what he would've had as opening in MP I would raise, AJ, KQ and if I decided to play KTs I would raise also. There isn't too much I would see myself open-limping with there unless the back-end of the table was really loose for 1-bet.

Ralle
05-16-2003, 09:05 AM
The hands that would beat me are AJ, J9, KK and QQ. All of these are possible preflop, but he would have bet or re-raised with KK or QQ pre-flop. Since he check-raised on the flop we can rule out AJ. With J9 he would have either bet out or check-raised on the turn. So the only reasonable conclusion is that his hand is inferior to mine. I made a mistake not raising on the river. :-( I think the reason for this is that I've recently been beaten a number of times by rivered straights, and was simply too afraid of this happening again.

Also, it seems obvious that he was helped by the river. His check-raise on the flop indicates that he has a Q (again, with an overpair he would've bet harder pre-flop), or a straight draw with KJ (J9 not possible because of the turn). From this we conclude that he must hold KQ or KJ.

It turned out he actually had KQ.

Homer
05-16-2003, 11:05 AM
The river raise is fairly clear as the only hand your opponent could reasonably have is KQ.

-- He wouldn't have gone to war on the flop with AJ (gutshot straight draw)
-- He wouldn't have slowed down on the turn with QQ (top set), and also he would have raised with this preflop
-- He would have raised preflop with KK

This leaves only KQ.

-- Homer

biggambler
05-16-2003, 11:24 AM

Homer
05-16-2003, 11:28 AM
If he had 33, why would he call the four-bet on the flop, check-call the turn, then bet the river? How did the K on the river change his hand or the hand he put his opponent on? Do you think he put his opponent on just top-pair of Q's and bet for fear of it being checked through?

I'm not sure why you think 33 is a likely hand...

-- Homer

biggambler
05-16-2003, 12:21 PM
Line of reasoning for a LL player? I just flopped trips I'll wait til the turn to bet. Hero then bets. OK you want to bet I'll raise you. uh oh you raisded me back?!? Do you have 3 tens? Turn comes: I better just call. River: Really can't see a reason to bet here. So maybe you are right he can't have trip 3s?

Nottom
05-16-2003, 12:26 PM
Even if he did have 33 it doesn't change the fact that hero should raise.