PDA

View Full Version : PP to stars transition (NC)

09-30-2005, 12:52 AM
like the disk icon? yeah, it was my idea, tryin to spruce the post up.

I've recently made the jump from PP to Stars for the MTT's, and I've found that in my boredom, Im playing some of my sweet sweet SNG's. However, my tried and true Aleo+Modifications method will have more leaks than the Titanic with this structure.

So, Im wondering, in general, what types of game tweaks have yall made going to Stars from PP.

It seems to me that its just going to be more like ... I dont know, poker? I mean, you actually have chips to make moves with, and such.

Now, my second question may not be so easily answerable. Much of my meager success at the party SNG's was based on my knowledge of the "average" PP player. Is there a distinction to be made between the average players at the low limits on the two sites?

Thanks for the answers guys.

Thriller
09-30-2005, 09:07 AM
I play mainly on Stars, just because that's where I've started and I've only made a few forays over to Party.

IMO - the very fact that you have more chips means that solid poker will get you much further in the tourney than it would on PP. I've found that my opponents are more willing to call off their chips on marginal plays. This lets you sit in 4-6 until you catch a hand or until it gets time for you to start the PP all-in dance. Let the donks knock each other out.

I guess, to put it concisely, the larger stacks give me an opportunity to gain chips and never really have to face the all-in fest on the bubble. If I don't get the cards by 50/100 or so, I'll start loosening up my ultra-tight table image by stealing some blinds. Usually, by this time, you're down to 5 or 6 players. If I'm sitting around 1100 to 1200 in chips here, I'll start looking for places to push following a raise, or using aggression to stay above 10BB.

I find myself in far fewer races or coin flips at Stars.

sir..please
09-30-2005, 09:37 AM
yeah Stars S&g#s are so much better than pp. Although IMO the standard of player is better

Jbrochu
09-30-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So, Im wondering, in general, what types of game tweaks have yall made going to Stars from PP.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, I never played higher than 11's at PP so I'm not sure how the higher levels play there.

I made this transition about ten months ago, and since have worked my way up to the 33's on Stars. I believe the lower the limit you intend to start at at Stars, the more you should play a similar "super-tight" style.

Anyway, I found that I needed to open up more early. You want to actively accumulate chips with the following methods:

1) Limping in late position with small suited connectors and limpers ahead of you.

2) Open raising with suited connectors from late position when it's folded to you and the blinds are playing tight (provided you can play post-flop well).

3) Medium pockets like J's and 10's are often limping hands from EP with low blinds on PP, these should be open raised far more often at Stars.

4) Learn how to extract chips when you have monster hands (since you play MTT, you should already have a good idea of how to do this).

5) At a very aggessive table, I'll sometimes limp with A's from EP hoping for a chance to re-raise. I never did this at PP. (Some people will of course suggest not doing this at Stars either.)

Early on, you get about the same number of hands per level on both sites. However, late in SnG's you see way more hands per level on Stars. You need to "recalibrate" when to start pushing and with what hands to push and call all-in with.

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a distinction to be made between the average players at the low limits on the two sites?

[/ QUOTE ]

My opinion is, at the lower levels no. It might feel like Stars players are better until you adjust to the structure. I think it might actually be harder to move from Stars to Party.