PDA

View Full Version : When you bust what is the reason?

bweiser8311962
09-30-2005, 12:00 AM
There are several ways to bust out of a tournament obviously. What do you find the most common reason for your elimination:
1) Your mistake
2) Opponent's luck
3) Bad run of cards
4) Other (feel free to extrapolate)

I really hate it when I make a mistake I knew I was bound to make and was preparead to avoid.

The latest example:

I have just over 11K in a $5 tournament on Pokreroom and am in the big blind (500/1000).

I am dealt Q/10o.

UTG makes the minimum raise to 2000. I have to defend my blind here, don't I?

Flop is Q/J/10. In trying to piece together the hand, I felt I was good on this flop with two pair. What is the minimum raise from UTG showing? Either AA or A/ragish.

The small blind also called preflop. He bets the minimum (500) and I make my mistake - I'm all-in. UTG instacalls and the SB folds. Of course, UTG has JJ and I'm out.

Scary thing is, if I had just folded the BB and SB, I would have cashed. There were 24 left and 20 finished ITM. I even said on the previous break that I had yet to make my fatal mistake and probably would before we got to 20.

mts
09-30-2005, 12:01 AM
everytiem i bust its a bad beat. thats how good i am. if there was no luck id win every time. etc...

billyjex
09-30-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you find the most common reason for your elimination:

[/ QUOTE ]

usually it's better an opponent showed down a better hand than me.

LethalRose
09-30-2005, 12:11 AM
thats not a mistake its results oriented thinking. You are way ahead of a lot of possible holdings for both villians.

disguised bad beat post!

jwiles
09-30-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
everytiem i bust its a bad beat. thats how good i am. if there was no luck id win every time. etc...

[/ QUOTE ]
Will the real Phil Hellmuth please stand up?

mts
09-30-2005, 12:26 AM
phil got it from me, your all just suckers

bweiser8311962
09-30-2005, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
thats not a mistake its results oriented thinking. You are way ahead of a lot of possible holdings for both villians.

disguised bad beat post!

[/ QUOTE ]

you may think it's a bad beat. i don't. i overplayed my hand and it cost me. a bad beat is when you are ahead at some point (significantly).

09-30-2005, 12:28 AM
twice in the last week I've made the "I know Im about to do this and its wrong" mistake. Its funny, going into the hand you think... Im about to lose this... and then the flop comes, and that all goes outta your head.

nath
09-30-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i overplayed my hand and it cost me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, with eleven big blinds I'm usually looking to find a way to dump a flopped two pair, because you always have to worry about the person last to act having a set.
I mean, what?

[ QUOTE ]
I even said on the previous break that I had yet to make my fatal mistake and probably would before we got to 20.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, um, way to prove yourself right. Perhaps if you trusted your own ability your results might improve.

Look, don't take a tough break as a sign you are hopelessly flawed. The key is not to take the results personally but to analyze your play, learn, and improve. If you think you made a mistake, assess what it was, and what you can do to avoid it in the future. And hell, ask us. That's the point of this board-- "If you know, come to teach; if you don't know, come to learn," as it were. Are you seeking knowledge or sympathy?

(BTW, my brief analysis: the only move that might be considered a mistake is betting all-in on the flop, since it's something of an overbet, but it's not even that big a mistake. Your range for UTG is overly limited, but even if you were much more accurate you probably wouldn't get away from this hand in this situation.)

Rocco
09-30-2005, 04:02 AM
It goes like this...

Usually when I bust it's either because I pick the wrong spot to raise all-in (run into a bigger hand) or being outdrawn by a donk. These reason why it occurs is ALWAYS because I've been playing to passively with a semi-big/big stack... So, often it's not down to the specific occasion when you bust, it's your play the last half hour before.

prana
09-30-2005, 04:12 AM
Is this honestly supposed to be a thread about what usually happens or the excuse you hear most often. heh heh heh. "I was playing to win." /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

beenben
09-30-2005, 06:27 AM
I think I most often take a crippling bad beat;

second most frequent- I wait too long for premium cards as a smaller stack and then pick the wrong spot to push. or steal attempt, fold. steal attempt, fold, turning myself into a smaller stack and then picking the wrong spot to push.

third most frequent - playing wrong cards from wrong position the wrong way

09-30-2005, 06:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
playing wrong cards from wrong position the wrong way

[/ QUOTE ]

ding ding ding ding!!! couldn't have said it better myself