PDA

View Full Version : Is this a really bad laydown?

09-29-2005, 11:27 PM
Villain hasn't been too active thus far, he's got his chips through a big hand where he tripled up QQ vs AK vs AA. Could a fold preflop be a good move here? I mean I am waiting for a flop like this but the villain has shown strength before and after the flop and I don't want to blow my tournament like this.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

SB (t10880)
BB (t3102)
Hero (t5420)
UTG+1 (t1860)
MP1 (t4126)
MP2 (t1230)
MP3 (t4405)
CO (t10805)
Button (t14395)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Hero calls t200, UTG+1 calls t200, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t800</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Hero calls t600, UTG+1 calls t600.

Flop: (t2700) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Hero Checks, UTG+1 checks, Villain bets 1200
Final Pot: t2700

bweiser8311962
09-29-2005, 11:29 PM
he could just as easily have AK or AQ. I call this flop or push if I'm first to act.

LethalRose
09-29-2005, 11:45 PM
fold preflop if you're not prepared to be aggressive if you flop overs.

Iconoclastic
09-29-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he could just as easily have AK or AQ. I call this flop or push if I'm first to act.

[/ QUOTE ]

Push??? maniac

09-30-2005, 04:35 AM
agree. the only way you find out what he has for as little as possible is to bet into him. if u get rr, then you have a decision. if you check and raise and get reraised you have cost yourself alot to get info. but why did you call pf? if its just to see if you get a set then nothing more to talk about, but if not, what could be better than this?

play2win
09-30-2005, 01:34 PM
Assuming MP1 is not a total idiot, he has just seen you call UTG and the player next to you call. A call UTG represents a strong hand, so he must have a strong hand as well to be raising here.

He has been playing conserviativly thus far, so there is no reason to believe that he has changed gears yet. I put him on at least AQs or AKo if not another over pair.

You have to be worried that UTG+1 has limped with a powerhouse too, so the call PF is a little risky. Never the less, the check on the flop is a big mistake. Bet at least half the pot here, checking to him is just giving away the pot. Being the aggressor preflop puts him in a position to bet regardless if he is holding the better cards or not, he is just making a standard continuation bet here.

Take a shot at it and throw out the bet, having an over pair with 88 on the flop is rare, but it might be good. If you are RR this makes the fold easy. If you are flat called here and the turn is a blank you have to put in another bet. Because you checked and he put in a big bet, you have to fold now, you have no knowledge of his holding. /images/graemlins/spade.gif

illegit
09-30-2005, 01:40 PM
Lead the flop, and fold to a raise. If he just calls and a non A-K hits the turn then push.

Checking this flop does nothing for you as you've gained no information about his hand and now the only way to do that is to check-raise which is much more costly than just betting out. So costly that it's not really a viable option and you just have to fold

Rex Ruthless
09-30-2005, 04:11 PM
Hard to tell where you're at without paying for the info a bit. I raise before the flop, if I get reraised then you may have a tough decision before the flop. If you just get called, bet out on that flop. If you get raised then (or maybe even just called), again time to play some poker and make a decision. No way to tell where your at though with the way you played the hand.