PDA

View Full Version : Power supply too weak?

handsome
09-29-2005, 10:59 PM
I'm running an Intel D850 board and after trying my problems with installing a Chaintech VNF3-250, I think the problem is with the power supply. I tried two different boards and two different processors, and when I turn it on, I'll see the HSF turn on but it shuts off after a quick second.

I *think* my power supply is a 300 watt'er, which I figure would be plenty for any board, but someone please convince me that some boards require more power than others. I think I may go insane.

09-30-2005, 03:54 AM
It's not the board itself that consumes a lot of power, its mainly the CPU and grahpics card, but RAM, optical drives, HDD, all draw power too. 300 watts should run most systems provided you are not running a top of the line grpahics card or cpu, but the PSU itself could be going bad.

Make sure that your motherboard isn't making contact with the case anywhere as what you are describing is exactly what a system would do if it was shorting out becasue some part of the board is touching the case.

Also try booting the system with only the RAM, CPU, and HDD hooked up to the board and see if it does the same thing. Unplug everything else including PCI/AGP/PCIx cards and optical drives. There is a good chance that one of your peripheral compoenents is causing the system to short out/reboot.

handsome
09-30-2005, 03:56 PM
Anyway, it turned out to be an insuffient power supply. A 430W PS worked. But still having problems with the motherboard /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Luv2DriveTT
09-30-2005, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, it turned out to be an insuffient power supply. A 430W PS worked. But still having problems with the motherboard /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you had a 300 watt PSU with that motherboard and video card, I would venture to guess that you may have done some damage to the mobo/video card or both.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif