PDA

View Full Version : AA utg tips and pionters please

09-29-2005, 10:17 PM
Hi all,

This hand was played a while ago but remains a bit of a question mark to me. At the time I was younger and a lot less experienced. I was taking a shot a higher limit than the usuall 4-8 dross. So with some encouragement from one of my friends (10yr pro) I sat down in the 10-20 determined to prove something. I had a grand in the pocket but sat down with $500 keeping another 5 as backup. In my first 1/2 hour at the table I got dealt (K-K, K-K, AKo, AKo, AQs - not in that order) these were the only hands I played, folding all but one of them to terror boards/scare cards the K-K I did not fold won me probably the smallest pot that anybody won since I sat down. I was definbately the tightest player at the table as there was alot of loose calling going on. The CO in the story was by far the most aggressive player at the table and had by far the biggest stack. He was playing nearly every pot and raising liberally. He would regularly turn over cards like K9s for trip 9s or 10-9 for an unlikly straight. I had him pegged as loose aggressive in the extreme.

Pre-Flop

Any way UTG I get A-A, I can't beleive the hands that I've been getting and losing with so I determine to take the lead and knock some people out = raise
mp1 call
mp2 call
CO 3-bet (without looking, while stacking up from the last pot he won)
bb call
UTG cap
mp1 call
mp2 call
CO call
bb call
5 players in for the flop = 20.5 small bets

Even though the game was loose aggressive I was shocked and dissapionted with that many callers but once they were in I wanted to charge them some addmission.

Flop
3-5-8 rainbow

UTG bet
mp1 call
mp2 call
CO raise
bb call
UTG 3-bet
mp1 call
mp2 fold
CO cap
bb fold
UTG call
mp call

3 players to the turn, Pot = 33.5 small bets

Turn
3-5-8-2

UTG bet
mp call
CO raise
UTG raise
mp call
CO call

3 players to the river Pot + 9bb = 25.75bb

River
3-5-8-2-J

UTG bet
mp call (what a calling station[can anyone read this guys hand]!!! )
CO raise
UTG call
mp call

I just kept firing bullets, in hind sight it looks like I was on tilt but I was genuinely playing the hand in way I thought was right. It was a blank flop and I was certainly not going to get bullied by the cutoff. I read him strongly for no set. A pair to the board (A-8s maybe) or an over pair seemed likely to me. With his aggro I thought we would drive out the rest and I'd isolate him, which is sort of what happened. The 2 on the turn was a complete blank for me. I mean no-one could have been in that pre-flop action with 4-6 or even A-4 surely, so I try to stamp some authority on the hand by ramming and jamming. I want them to know I've got a hand. I'm probably more scared by the calling station than the CO but I've seen this guy call down with nothing (bottom pair, busted draw, high card) plenty of times in the 1/2 hour I've been at the table.

By the river I'm really not sure about anything anymore and just bet it out and call down.

How did I play this hand (poor, ok, good) and what are your reads on their hands. I'd love to know how some of you would have played it and what you think the other guys have got.

This is my first hand post, so excuse the lack of cultural sensetivity

thanks all

shant
09-29-2005, 10:20 PM
This is what you had to do and if he had JJ that sucks. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

ncboiler
09-29-2005, 10:21 PM
I stopped reading halfway through the first paragraph. You have a bankroll of $1000?

crunchy1
09-29-2005, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I stopped reading halfway through the first paragraph. You have a bankroll of $1000?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see anywhere that he says the $1000 was his bankroll... he was referring to what he bought in for at the table.

Warbler - I think you need to find a c/r on the flop (or maybe turn) you know that the CO is going to be if checked to and it will give you a good chance to face the two MP players with two bets cold (as opposed to betting knowing that the CO will raise and face only the lone BB for two bets).

I don't really see a fold anywhere against these players with the reads you gave.

09-30-2005, 12:47 AM
Thanks for your replies.

First of all the $1000 was just what I brought with me to limit potentiall heomorraging (excuse the spelling)

Secondly I thought about the check raise but rejected it at the table for one main reason I was almost sure that I would get action weather or not I bet so I figured that bet/raising looked stronger then check/raising particularly if I bet it out on the turn. i.e. turning it from the a weak lead into a strong lead.

They were my thoughts at the table, tell me do you think that check raising would have been stronger. I mean there are really three groups of players in the field
1. silly callers that will fold to heat
2. silly callers and legitimate draws that will call no matter what
3. the aggressors with real hands (top pair, second pair, AK)

So my reason to keep the lead and re-raise and cap was primarily directed at them and their action on later streets.

Yeah I don't know maybe I should have check raised the turn, that should get rid of the mp, thereby reducing CO's equity and exposing him to a direct raising war. Still not sure though.

10-05-2005, 12:26 AM
Ok it's time to reveal the villians hand. He had J-5 !!!

Well I stood up after turning over my aces and said good luck gentlemen and left. I really wanted to reload but figured I was steaming. I was you know, really steaming. And I never been back. This was over 2 years ago and I've never attempted that limit again.

Alex/Mugaaz
10-05-2005, 01:20 AM
This is limit holdem, gotta love it.