PDA

View Full Version : general guidelines for game selection?

lane mcbride
09-29-2005, 07:54 PM
my question is if you don't have anything else to go on (pokertracker stats, notes about a specific player), what are guidelines for good table selection? What would be stats you would consider to be a "good" game.

By stats I mean:
1. % seeing flop or % seeing fourth and
2. pot size (in terms of big bets).

for example... a good hold em game may be 40% seeing flop and a pot size of 7x the big bet

What would you guys say for each of the different types of game (i.e hold em, omaha hi and hi/lo, stud hi and hi/lo, and if somebody feels like being extensive: draw, 5 card stud, pineapple hi and hi/lo, razz etc.).

thanks in advance

-Lane

ZenMusician
09-29-2005, 10:41 PM
Hi.

I NEVER sit at a game I didn't scout first. A poster in high-stakes
(who I wish would post more) once told me that he plays 15/30
up to 100/200 and never thinks in terms of $ just in BB. He also
said that he lives by the motto: Poor play by your opponents will
always make more money than your skillful play will.

That being said...I like "overstakes" games. An example would be
low % to a flop but 15BB average pots. This tells me that the game
is tight preflop but aggro post-flop. I sit down to this game with
50-100BB because they are HIGH VARIANCE! This is one example
of a "good game" A better format for less aggressive players would
be high % to a flop, pots averaging 7-12BB. This will assure you some
variance as well, but allows YOU to be the aggressor, as the pots
would be huge if people were very LAGgy.

This is anchored around LHE, I'll let others (if any) dabble in the
other forms I don't play much.

Stay to the aggression factor that you can handle and good luck.

-ZEN

jstewsmole
09-29-2005, 10:47 PM
Why on earth do u like tight but aggressive games?

09-30-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
my question is if you don't have anything else to go on (pokertracker stats, notes about a specific player), what are guidelines for good table selection? What would be stats you would consider to be a "good" game.

By stats I mean:
1. % seeing flop or % seeing fourth and
2. pot size (in terms of big bets).

for example... a good hold em game may be 40% seeing flop and a pot size of 7x the big bet

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't make some blanket statement in holdem about what pot size or percentage of players seeing flop you are looking for. It depends on the stakes you are playing at, number of players per table, and you're always choosing relative to whatever are the local conditions.

I look for tables with a VP$IP (voluntarily put $ in pot, for those who might not know) of at least 50%, but then, I play at tables where this level of looseness can be found.

MyTurn2Raise
09-30-2005, 04:00 AM
For hold'em: I like to see 1/2 the table seeing the flop, 3 or more going to river, and showdowns (It means value bets are good on river and I can learn what cards my opponents are playing and in what way).

For omaha hi/lo: 5 or more seeing the flop. 4 or more going to the river.

That's all I play very competitively

09-30-2005, 11:35 AM
How do you find these tables before you sit down at the table? I know you can do a little data mining ahead of time, but how do you get the table stats? I'm using GT+, but it only displays stats for tables where I'm playing.

arx
09-30-2005, 11:46 AM
If you run Gametime+ using one of the players at the table you can get the stats before you seat.

09-30-2005, 01:37 PM
I'm an idiot.