PDA

View Full Version : Money stolen from home, what do you do?

captZEEbo1
09-29-2005, 05:59 PM
I'm 98% sure my money was taken from my wallet that was in my room (room door left visibly open, no locking abilities anyways) while I was asleep on the couch downstairs last night. I don't really know my roommates all that well, but we go to a Christian college, so generally you can trust people more (in the dorms, it was pretty rare to find people that locked their doors when they left their room, except when they were going to be gone for 2 weeks over christmas break or whatever).

Anyways, the amount of money is not much (only $80-90, which means nothing to me). Also gone, 1 near-full loaf of my bread? Not sure what that's about. I haven't noticed anything else missing, and I have no idea if my rooommates got anything stolen either, since I haven't talked to them all day. Anyways, they DIDN'T take my credit card or id, they didn't take my ipod which was inches away from my wallet, didn't take any electronic gear or dvds. Friends of my roommates come by all the time, it's not uncommon to have a former roommate come into the house while I'm at class (to visit one of my roommates), and take a glass of beer out of our keg and eat their lunch when nobody was found home. The head guy in our house is in a band, and some friends bands come over too. Basically random friends of theirs come by all the time.

My roommates don't really have a clue how much money I make, but they assume I make a decent amount off poker. Part of me thinks that it might be one of my roommates that took the money, and took the loaf of bread to "throw me off track" to think it was a homeless person or some random person outside of the house (b/c no roommate would steal a whole loaf of bread).

What should I say to my roommates without sounding like an accusing dick? Should I just move out and get my own place? I'm not really that close to these people, but I'd get depressed living by myself I think, and all my closest friends apartments are full. The reason I'd want to move out is b/c I don't want to live somewhere where I'm afraid to get things stolen from me and live in that fear.

offTopic
09-29-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 98% sure my money was taken from my wallet that was in my room (room door left visibly open, no locking abilities anyways) while I was asleep on the couch downstairs last night. I don't really know my roommates all that well, but we go to a Christian college, so generally you can trust people more

[/ QUOTE ]

Turn the other cheek.

daveymck
09-29-2005, 06:04 PM
Saying nothing is the worse option if they think wont notice or wont say anything then more of your stuff will walk.

Just say whats happened dont accuse anyone and hope that puts a stop to it, if it doesnt then move out.

Tron
09-29-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 98% sure my money was taken from my wallet that was in my room (room door left visibly open, no locking abilities anyways) while I was asleep on the couch downstairs last night. I don't really know my roommates all that well, but we go to a Christian college, so generally you can trust people more

[/ QUOTE ]

Turn the other cheek.

[/ QUOTE ]

vvnh

RacersEdge
09-29-2005, 07:21 PM
Ask them if they had anything missing as if someone else broke in. Talk about maybe calling the campus police. See what happens.

Yeti
09-29-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyways, the amount of money is not much (only $80-90, which means nothing to me).

[/ QUOTE ]

You are like, soooo cool.

Ulysses
09-29-2005, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Turn the other cheek.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice!

MyTurn2Raise
09-29-2005, 07:38 PM
I've never trusted the Christians

RunDownHouse
09-29-2005, 10:24 PM
I don't see why you would, after they handed your people those blankets.

STLantny
09-29-2005, 10:28 PM
Ive found people that are really religious etc, can turn out to be the biggest scum of the earth.

09-29-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ive found people that are really religious etc, can turn out to be the biggest scum of the earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Layoff the Mormons.

STLantny
09-29-2005, 10:33 PM
don't really know my roommates all that well, but we go to a Christian college, so generally you can trust people more

All Im saying is that it is naive and wrong to say you can generally trust someone more because he is religious.

Sponger15SB
09-29-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guarentee there is a bigger "scum of the earth" percentage of people among non religious people.

Jimbo
09-29-2005, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guarentee there is a bigger "scum of the earth" percentage of people among non religious people.

[/ QUOTE ]

A guarantee of an umprovable opinion, how quaint.

STLantny
09-29-2005, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im pretty sure most priests would be forced to disagree.

Seriously, you are probably right, I personally would be more inclined to trust someone JUST becasue they are religious.

BottlesOf
09-29-2005, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
we go to a Christian college, so generally you can trust people more

[/ QUOTE ]

ooops.

tonypaladino
09-29-2005, 10:43 PM
We need Sklansky to weigh in on whether beleif in God causes theft.