PDA

View Full Version : How is this for Weak Tight? (1)

Mikey
05-15-2003, 06:46 PM
I raise on the button with A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif after a weak limper who is playing way too many hands limps in.

The sb calls and the BB calls.

The flop is J 9 2 with one heart.

Everyone checks, I check.

Turn 2h. now the board contains 2 hearts.

SB bets out. A very solid player.

BB folds, limper folds.

I raise.

He calls.

River 2.

He checks, I bet.

He folds.

CrackerZack
05-15-2003, 06:50 PM
I like the way this was played. You used your position to bully him out although by the action, you may have had him with Ace high anyway. I usually bet the flop here hoping to win it there and take a free card on the turn if he calls. But I like the turn raise after picking up 9 more outs.

Ulysses
05-15-2003, 07:27 PM
You know you had the best hand, right? I bet SB had either T8s, QT, or a smaller flush draw.

Joe Tall
05-15-2003, 09:09 PM
Well played. However, the contents of this hand don't have anything to do with weak-tight.

Mikey
05-15-2003, 10:11 PM
Come how do you know this? What if he had a Jack or 9?

How can you be so certain of this just by reading my post.

Ulysses
05-15-2003, 10:16 PM
What if he had a Jack or 9?

If a solid player calls your turn raise with a Jack or a Nine, he sure as hell is not mucking it on the river when the third deuce shows up. And if he mucked a Jack on the river, he's definitely not a solid player.

Is it possible he had a better hand? Sure. Perhaps he had a small pocket pair. But I doubt it.

Homer
05-16-2003, 11:13 AM
I can't see the point in betting the river once the third deuce comes. What better hands are going to fold? What worse hands are going to call?

-- Homer

biggambler
05-16-2003, 11:20 AM

Vehn
05-16-2003, 11:27 AM
Its called bluffing Homer. He only has to make a better hand (small pair, 9, ace high w/ flush draw that would have chopped the pot with him) fold a small percent of the time to make a profit on it. That being said you will go broke trying to outplay everyone every hand, never giving your opponent credit for a hand, and trying to win every pot you're in by running over everyone with moves.

Homer
05-16-2003, 11:32 AM
Bl...uff...ing? I'm not familiar with that term.

There is no way in hell a small pocket pair or a 9 is going to fold to a bet on the river, given that they called the turn and a third 2 came on the river. Maybe you can get an A-high to fold, but more often you are going to be called by a 9 or a small pocket pair, so the bet has -EV.

I really think I'm right on this one. Now, someone prove me wrong. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

-- Homer

Vehn
05-16-2003, 11:43 AM
I'm not really disagreeing, I'm just saying its probably worth throwing out that last bet on the river given the way he played it in the hopes that he gets a better/tying hand to fold. It has to work 15% or so of the time, that's not a lot. Plus there are MANY people who will automatically call a turn raise with anything and fold the river if they don't improve.

Robk
05-16-2003, 02:09 PM
I don't like the turn raise at all. 1. If your opponent has a head on his shoulders, your flop check and turn raise limits you to 2 possible hands: Big hearts or a set. Note that even a set is likely to bet the flop since many free cards could give someone a straight or straight draw, so big hearts seem really likely.
If he can beat A high he's going to call the river whenever a heart misses, and you burn 3 BB's. 2. If your opponent isn't too sharp, then your confusing play is going to rattle him into calldown mode. My play would be to call the turn and if I miss, then I have a decision to make.

Michael Davis
05-16-2003, 05:45 PM
"Maybe you can get an A-high to fold, but more often you are going to be called by a 9 or a small pocket pair, so the bet has -EV."

You don't have to get your opponent to fold a better or split-pot ace that often for this bet to have +EV.

-Mike