PDA

View Full Version : Which SNG's favor more skilled players?

Befolder
09-29-2005, 05:03 PM
This comes off from a thread I read earlier, but I wanted to focus specifically on teh question above and to see what factors I'm missing.

If you are better than most players in an SNG, and your goal is to make sure you maximize your profit, is it not better for you to play in SNGs that have slower blinds or more starting chips to counteract the possiblilty of card deadness decreasing your odds at making it in the money?

The better player certainly has the advantage if they get to see more hands than if they're card dead or miss their hands a lot early, therefore having to 'push' earlier than a good player would want to.

I guess there is also the question of the length of these longer formats. I myself am not so concerned about hourly rate than I am in cashing in a greater percentage of tournaments.

What am I missing and what do you all think?

Befolder

splashpot
09-29-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess there is also the question of the length of these longer formats. I myself am not so concerned about hourly rate than I am in cashing in a greater percentage of tournaments

[/ QUOTE ]
You should be concerned about hourly rate. That's really the only thing that matters. If there were a SNG structure that gave you a 90% chance of making the money but it took 10 hours to play, would you do it?

Mr_J
09-29-2005, 05:37 PM
"and your goal is to make sure you maximize your profit"

"is it not better for you to play in SNGs that have slower blinds or more starting chips to counteract the possiblilty of card deadness decreasing your odds at making it in the money?"

No.

"I guess there is also the question of the length of these longer formats. I myself am not so concerned about hourly rate than I am in cashing in a greater percentage of tournaments."

You talk about maximising profit and then say hourly rate isn't important?

If you want to cash the most often, play HU sngs.

If you want maximise hourly rate, 12 table party sngs.

tshort
09-29-2005, 05:41 PM
Skill is relative.

downtown
09-29-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are better than most players in an SNG, and your goal is to make sure you maximize your profit...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I myself am not so concerned about hourly rate...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are concerned about maximizing profit, you are concerned about maximizing hourly rate.

If you are concerned about maximizing ROI and ITM, you are not necessarily looking at your hourly rate, and not necessarily interested in maximizing profit.

Max ROI and ITM do not equal max hourly rate, which I think is what you are missing.

Edit: Oops, Mr. J's post says about the same thing mine does.

Befolder
09-29-2005, 05:47 PM
Understood that if my pure motivation for playing was to make the most money possible, I would definitely only play the format where my win rate was largest. However, my time limitations and overall motivations don't really allow me to do this kind of analysis.

I do track every penny I win/lose and the type of game I played, but beyond that, I don't have the time to commit to a further analysis of it all.

So for comparisons sake, limiting this to the SNG structure of different tournament on different sites, that would be interesting to hear about. Obviously an apples/oranges comparison like SNGs vs. MTTs is not really equal. And actually I tend to play more SNGs than MTTs because w/o even doing the analysys, my ROI is much higher for the time spent in SNGs right now.

Befolder

P.S. Thanks for the reply

09-29-2005, 05:57 PM
WORD!