PDA

View Full Version : Marmite, Vegemite, and Peanut Butter

Luzion
09-29-2005, 03:17 PM
Marmite, Vegemite, and peanut butter. These are supposedly good examples of food stuffs that you must grow up with in order to enjoy. So Im bored and curious to see if this is true. Are these food stuffs really that nasty that the only way someone would like it is if they had a childhood built around this stuff?

Anyone wanna share their experience of say, traveling to Australia and trying out Vegemite? Or perhaps some non-Americans came over here and tried peanut butter for the first time? What was your reaction to these foods?

bravos1
09-29-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Marmite, Vegemite, and peanut butter. These are supposedly good examples of food stuffs that you must grow up with in order to enjoy. So Im bored and curious to see if this is true. Are these food stuffs really that nasty that the only way someone would like it is if they had a childhood built around this stuff?

Anyone wanna share their experience of say, traveling to Australia and trying out Vegemite? Or perhaps some non-Americans came over here and tried peanut butter for the first time? What was your reaction to these foods?

[/ QUOTE ]

Vegemite is just plain nasty! I don't know of anyone who thought peanut butter was nasty (talking about non-americans). Some don't like it much, but could still eat it... I can not say the same for vegemite! I almost puked.

STLantny
09-29-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Vegemite is just plain nasty! I don't know of anyone who thought peanut butter was nasty (talking about non-americans). Some don't like it much, but could still eat it... I can not say the same for vegemite! I almost puked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like peanut butter, I dont know what the other things are.

cold_cash
09-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Obviously you don't come from a land down under.

bravos1
09-29-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No suprise there... I was visiting (and nearly puking)

Luzion
09-29-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How much of it did you eat? Ive read that a little goes a looong way.

samjjones
09-29-2005, 04:12 PM
http://www.nndb.com/people/550/000042424/colin-hay-goofy-med.jpg
HE likes it...

JaBlue
09-29-2005, 04:16 PM
vegemite is disgusting

nutella, on the other hand...

bravos1
09-29-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How much of it did you eat? Ive read that a little goes a looong way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not much at all.. a very little bit spread on a small peice of bread. It was spread about as thickly as you spread butter on toast.

Ray Zee
09-29-2005, 04:35 PM
even most aussys wont eat that stuff. its awful.

Dex
09-29-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where women glow and men plunder.

4_2_it
09-29-2005, 04:43 PM
If vegemite was served in prisons, the ACLU would be filing lawsuits faster than a 2+2'er holding quad aces calling an all in re-raise.

sfer
09-29-2005, 04:47 PM
Vegemite is gross on many levels. Not the least of which the label:

http://www.ozbird.com/oz/OzCulture/oz_culture/vegemite/vegejar.gif

I've had it once, spread on hot buttered toast like I was told. Disgusting.

Luzion
09-29-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that true? Damn. Then which aussies eat that stuff? And is it the same for Marmite in the UK? Those Marmite commercials Ive seen online seem to try to take advantage of that fact that you either hate it, or love it.

daveymck
09-29-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that true? Damn. Then which aussies eat that stuff? And is it the same for Marmite in the UK? Those Marmite commercials Ive seen online seem to try to take advantage of that fact that you either hate it, or love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love marmite but I also like Bovril which is simiar type of thing but have it in drink, was brought up on that nighttime soccer matches with my dad we always had a flask of bovril for half time warming up. Marmite on toast is fantastic as are marmite crisps (chips). People say vegemite is the same as marmite but it isnt is completely horrible disgusting stuff.

Can get vegemite in most stores in the uk though so must be a market for it here.

BUt marmite is a love hate thing it seems.

lem45216
09-29-2005, 06:04 PM
Im in the UK, and i like peanut butter, but not many people seem to, certainly not as many as in the US, where, as i seem to remember, they were always making reference to peanut butter sandwiches on sesamee street. But yeah i've grown up with the stuff. I also like marmite, and i've grown up with that.
Not too sure bout vegemite though, what is it? Whats the difference between it and marmite?

daveymck
09-29-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im in the UK, and i like peanut butter, but not many people seem to, certainly not as many as in the US, where, as i seem to remember, they were always making reference to peanut butter sandwiches on sesamee street. But yeah i've grown up with the stuff. I also like marmite, and i've grown up with that.
Not too sure bout vegemite though, what is it? Whats the difference between it and marmite?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do like peanut butter as well but havent tried it with jam.

Vegemite I think is hard to describe but its a bitter and different consistency to marmite.