PDA

View Full Version : Getting a safe

STLantny
09-29-2005, 02:43 PM
I need a safe, I think i might have smoeone getting me one for free, but if that falls through, I need suggestions on a good one. I need it to be at least 2ftx2ft.

MINETZ
09-29-2005, 02:44 PM
whats going in the safe?

Brainwalter
09-29-2005, 02:44 PM
I need one too but not that huge.

The Truth
09-29-2005, 02:45 PM
large sums of money hopefully.

I wanted to get one, but then the thieves would know to just steal the safe.

-blake

jakethebake
09-29-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
whats going in the safe?

[/ QUOTE ]

He lives on The Hill. Don't ask. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

STLantny
09-29-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
large sums of money hopefully.

I wanted to get one, but then the thieves would know to just steal the safe.

-blake

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya that was my other concern, how to make it "permanent" so someone cant walk out with it, I dont have much room in my apartment, and basically no closet space left.

Whats going in it? The usual, drugs, guns, and cash.

slamdunkpro
09-29-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I need a safe, I think i might have smoeone getting me one for free, but if that falls through, I need suggestions on a good one. I need it to be at least 2ftx2ft.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you want theft protection or theft and fire?

shant
09-29-2005, 02:55 PM
You better put the safe behind a framed painting. I've always wanted to have a framed painting of a safe with a safe in the wall behind it.

STLantny
09-29-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

theft

STLantny
09-29-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You better put the safe behind a framed painting. I've always wanted to have a framed painting of a safe with a safe in the wall behind it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My walls are plaster, they barely support the picture, let alone the safe. But, if I could build something, aroudn teh safe that would be sweet, like a lazy-boy recliner that doubles as a safe...hah.

asofel
09-29-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
whats going in the safe?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wait, capital hill? have i missed this the whole time?

swede123
09-29-2005, 02:59 PM
If you are storing large sums of money there are these neat things called "bank accounts." They will even pay you what is called "interest" as a thanks for keeping your money with them. And if the money gets stolen it's actually "insured" for up to 100K. Grab yourself a small ghetto safe they sell at Walmart etc. One the size you want will run you about a hundred bucks, and will store all the money you realistically want to keep at home, and will deter most ordinary burglars.

Swede

STLantny
09-29-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
whats going in the safe?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wait, capital hill? have i missed this the whole time?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, its an area in st louis, thats "very italian", similar to mulberry street in nyc. One of these days, Ill get pictures of the "storage room" that was built under my garage. Its basically a dungeon that was used to hide liquor, and interrogate people/

STLantny
09-29-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are storing large sums of money there are these neat things called "bank accounts." They will even pay you what is called "interest" as a thanks for keeping your money with them. And if the money gets stolen it's actually "insured" for up to 100K. Grab yourself a small ghetto safe they sell at Walmart etc. One the size you want will run you about a hundred bucks, and will store all the money you realistically want to keep at home, and will deter most ordinary burglars.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Banks = taxes.

JTrout
09-29-2005, 03:01 PM
A high school buddy of mine's granddad was a bookie. But a church-going bookie.
Coming home from church one Sunday noon, a pickup took off through his backyard to a backroad.

Upon entering his home, he noticed that his safe had been moved a foot or so from the wall.

This was a very heavy safe that two grown men would have trouble moving. It stood on legs high enough to slip a shoebox underneath.
The safe contained the usual insurance papers, legal notes and such.
The shoebox underneath the safe held $125,000! It was untouched!

slamdunkpro
09-29-2005, 03:02 PM
OK theft only, 2ft x 2ft.

Things to look for

Hidden hinges, outside hinges can be chiseled off.
Recessed door – If the outer door plate seem can be seen – pass
Locking pins on all sides of the door. Active pins (retracting) are better but the prices go up

A 2 x 2 interior is going to weight about 300 pounds – got an elevator?

As for removal, most non-fire safes have holes in the bottom so that you can bolt it to the floor.

Depending on your area – used safes can be had reasonably cheaply. There are a couple of dealers in the DC area where I live. I bought a great one (really big) for $800.

bravos1
09-29-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

theft

[/ QUOTE ]

Just take your rolls and rolls of cash along w/ your drugs... wrap em in a few ziplock bags and stuff it in the tank of the toilet. Should be pretty safe /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

STLantny
09-29-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

theft

[/ QUOTE ]

Just take it... wrap it in a few ziplock bags and stuff it in the tank of the toilet. Should be pretty safe /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I [censored] you not, thats what my uncle suggested I do.

STLantny
09-29-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK theft only, 2ft x 2ft.

Things to look for

Hidden hinges, outside hinges can be chiseled off.
Recessed door – If the outer door plate seem can be seen – pass
Locking pins on all sides of the door. Active pins (retracting) are better but the prices go up

A 2 x 2 interior is going to weight about 300 pounds – got an elevator?

As for removal, most non-fire safes have holes in the bottom so that you can bolt it to the floor.

Depending on your area – used safes can be had reasonably cheaply. There are a couple of dealers in the DC area where I live. I bought a great one (really big) for $800.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, good info.

bravos1
09-29-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

theft

[/ QUOTE ]

Just take it... wrap it in a few ziplock bags and stuff it in the tank of the toilet. Should be pretty safe /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I [censored] you not, thats what my uncle suggested I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's actually more common than people imagine. A friend of mine used to have $40K in his upstairs toilet until the cleaning lady brought him the bag and asked him to hold it while cleaned the inside of the tank.. I guess she was uncomfortable being around the money. He was like WTF?? Who cleans the inside of the tank? He gave her a nice tip though...

Wish our cleaning lady was like this.. instead she stole $15K of my wife's jewelry, yet we were unable to "prove" it.

MuckerFish
09-29-2005, 03:11 PM
some added advice to the above-
If the free one falls through, where ever you get yours from, arrange for delivery and placement. The first one I ever got they pretty much just dropped at the front door and said too bad on getting it into the office. Trust me, even the smaller ones are awkward and weigh a ton. For like an extra 10 bucks most services (UPS, etc, whoever is delivering it) will take it to the room you want it in. Probably not a big deal for just an apartment, but if you got to shlep it through a house or office, pay the extra or slip the dude some cash to get it where you want it to go.

slamdunkpro
09-29-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
pay the extra or slip the dude some cash to get it where you want it to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don’t pay the “inside delivery charge” just bribe the driver. Put the money where the work is. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

PocketJokers72
09-29-2005, 03:39 PM
Hidden Wall Safes Look Kool (http://www.hiddensafes.com/hidden.htm)

theben
09-29-2005, 03:45 PM
if you have a decent amt of money in your bank account, you probably could get a free safety deposit box at a bank . . .

STLantny
09-29-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you have a decent amt of money in your bank account, you probably could get a free safety deposit box at a bank . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Aye I have one, but I need a cache on hand, and its a pain in the ass to go to the bank to get money etc.

Duke
09-29-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Banks = taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

You handled the condescending smugness that was actually dead wrong for obvious reasons much better than I would have.

~D

LetYouDown
09-29-2005, 04:03 PM
Just watch a movie with a safe in it. Hot girl optional.

http://www.cineclub.de/images/2003/11/the-italian-job-1.jpg

jakethebake
09-29-2005, 04:07 PM
forget a safe. You need a Panic Room.

http://www.centrodorio.com.br/imageva/panic_room1.jpg

LetYouDown
09-29-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
forget a safe. You need a Panic Room.

[/ QUOTE ]
They're definitely harder to steal. I would end up making some kind of grave error after this was installed, most likely resulting in the entrapment/death of an animal or a small child.

benfranklin
09-29-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Aye I have one, but I need a cache on hand, and its a pain in the ass to go to the bank to get money etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cash stash. (http://eagle2.american.edu/~nl1125a/book1.html)

Ray Zee
09-29-2005, 08:46 PM
so they steal the safe as they know thats where your money is. or if they cant get it out they wait for you to come home and make you open it up for them after they beat you for a few hours with the butt of their pistol and maybe kill you since you can finger them.

STLantny
09-29-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so they steal the safe as they know thats where your money is. or if they cant get it out they wait for you to come home and make you open it up for them after they beat you for a few hours with the butt of their pistol and maybe kill you since you can finger them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do business have safes then? I do not see any difference, between myself and a place of business. Ps ray, I was kidding about the drugs and guns part, it will be fore cash and documents, and CD backup storage. Although, eventually I want to buy a gun, but I need training first.

benfranklin
09-29-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Why do business have safes then?

[/ QUOTE ]

To keep the money away from the employees. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

J.A.Sucker
09-30-2005, 01:31 PM
You should tell them what to do with the safe. There really should be a Ray Zee's guide to home protection post. Stuff of legend, and right on, BTW.

sfer
09-30-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so i steal the safe as i know thats where your money is. or if i cant get it out i wait for you to come home and make you open it up for me after i beat you for a few hours with the butt of my pistol and maybe kill you since you can finger me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reads better, doesn't it?