PDA

View Full Version : American Red Cross

BoogerFace
09-29-2005, 01:33 PM
Today at lunch, I read the "Katrina Aid Stirs Unintended Rivalry" story on the front page of the Wall Street Journal. It turns out that the Red Cross is pwned by the Salvation Army in terms helping people in the hardest hit disaster areas. The Red Cross can't get to the hardest hit regions because it needs telephones, buildings, electricity, etc. in order to help people out.

About a month ago, I gave $5 to the Red Cross when I was at Starbucks (mostly because the barista chick was hot and asked so sweetly) and I was under the misguided impression that fiver would go on to help an actual Katrina victim.

It burns my ass that the money will probably go towards one microsecond of those crappy 'give blood' commercials.

I want my $5 back. Somebody should get kicked in the nuts ACJ style for this.

That is all.

09-29-2005, 01:50 PM
The Red Cross sucks? Old news. (http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial_s&hl=en&q=red+cross+911+liberty+fund +war&btnG=Google+Search)

slamdunkpro
09-29-2005, 01:57 PM
I don’t know about all the conspiracy theories about the Red Cross or the United Way, but I’ve never liked their strong-arm tactics and their 70% “overhead”. The fact that the Red Cross bought 900 BMW X5’s for their volunteer supervisors just after 9/11 really rubbed me raw. Small independent charities are the best!

BoogerFace
09-29-2005, 01:59 PM
Holy [censored].

This should make you feel better (from Forbes):

American National Red Cross
emergency relief
Washington, DC
Top Person: Marsha Evans
Top Salary:* $651,957

The Truth
[ QUOTE ]
I don’t know about all the conspiracy theories about the Red Cross or the United Way, but I’ve never liked their strong-arm tactics and their 70% “overhead”. The fact that the Red Cross bought 900 BMW X5’s for their volunteer supervisors just after 9/11 really rubbed me raw. Small independent charities are the best!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, if at least 90cents out of every dollar doesnt go toward "the cause" then the group is just robbing people.

-blake

BoogerFace
09-29-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This should make you feel better (from Forbes):

American National Red Cross
emergency relief
Washington, DC
Top Person: Marsha Evans
Top Salary:* $651,952 plus 5 bucks from BoogerFace.

YSSCKY

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

slamdunkpro
09-29-2005, 02:11 PM
Remember when is was such a scandal that the head of the United Way (Armstrong) was pulling down 300k??

youtalkfunny
09-30-2005, 02:22 AM
The Red Cross is not diverting NEARLY as much money away from victims, as you guys think.

In 2003, the apartment building I was living in burned to the ground. No injuries, but a dozen families lost everything they had.

The Red Cross was there the next day. Gave me $750 to go to K-Mart to get clothes and groceries. Another voucher for shoes. ANOTHER voucher to a furniture store, to buy beds for my family. ANOTHER voucher to replace prescription drugs that were lost. They also asked if we had a place to stay. We did, but I'm sure that if we didn't, they were going to help.

Some concerned neighbors called the Salvation Army, and Goodwill, and asked them what they planned to do to help these 12 families. Both said, "Not a freaking thing."

So please, if any of you ever have the chance to help the Red Cross (money, blood, time, whatever), please do so.

And I can't believe they bought 900 BMW's. Unless it was part of a deal to get a huge contribution from BMW.

BoogerFace
09-30-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Red Cross is not diverting NEARLY as much money away from victims, as you guys think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they are helping Katrina victims NEARLY as much as you think.

[ QUOTE ]

So please, if any of you ever have the chance to help the Red Cross (money, blood, time, whatever), please do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the wrong answer.

The problem is I gave to the Red Cross to help Katrina victims. (Go to Starbucks and read the sign next to the register - you'll see what I mean.) The Red Cross can't get close enough to help most of the Katrina victims, because they lack the infrastructure they need to provide their version of 'help' in totally devistated areas.

Only a moran would write checks to people in NO where all the banks/stores/everything are 3 feet underwater.

I agree the Red Cross is helpful for isolated incidents (like yours.) But I remain unconvinced that they are particularly helpful in large disaster scenarios like Katrina.

I still want my fiver back.

slamdunkpro
09-30-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And I can't believe they bought 900 BMW's

[/ QUOTE ]

Sad but true.

09-30-2005, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The Red Cross, under the Liberty Fund, collected $564 million in donations after 9/11. Months after the event, the Red Cross had distributed only $154 million. The Red Cross' explanation for keeping the majority of the money was that it would be used to help 'fight the war on terror'. To the victims, this meant that the money was going towards bombing broken backed third world countries like Afghanistan and setting up surveillance cameras and expanding the police state in US cities, and not towards helping them rebuild their lives.

After the devastating San Francisco earthquake in 1989, the Red Cross passed on only $10 million of the $50 million that had been raised, and banked the rest.

3,000 people died after thousands of Canadians were infected with HIV and hepatitis C from tainted blood supplies.The Canadian Red Cross pleaded guilty to the charges earlier this year after they had been directly caught knowingly shipping out the infected blood.

youtalkfunny
10-01-2005, 03:38 AM
OK, you guys are right, they're a bunch of cut-throat scumbags.

And my family sleeps on the floor.