PDA

View Full Version : Villain is Auto-Folding!

09-29-2005, 01:14 PM
On the bubble, the large stacks have ~3300, myself and one other player have ~1700. He's to my immediate left and the top stacks are not aggressive, so I've gotten a lot of opportunities to push my small blind into his big for 7-8xBB's. I've done this a few times, and I can tell he's clicking the 'check/fold' box. How, if at all, should I modify my play to take advantage of this? He's seen me push into him a few times, so if I start min-raising, I'm worried he'll catch on and stop auto-folding, so I can't count on getting away with this too many times. Should I:

a) Wait until I have a borderline hand that I would have pushed (ie T9s), min raise, and fold if he isn't set to auto-fold this time and pushes back over me.

b) Wait until I have some real crap that I wouldn't usually push (ie 23), min raise, and fold if he isn't set to auto-fold this time and pushes back over me.

c) Keep pushing, it's still the correct play.

bluefeet
09-29-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
c) Keep pushing, IF it's still the correct play.

[/ QUOTE ]

wiggs73
09-29-2005, 02:15 PM
The thing is, if he's autofolding, options A and B probably have about the same EV over the hands he is playing. Just my thoughts... I still probably push / fold myself.

Freudian
09-29-2005, 02:57 PM
I click the check/fold when 8-tabling. I don't think it would be wise to make any assumptions about my calling range from it.

TheNoodleMan
09-29-2005, 03:10 PM
why not mini raise? It has all of the advantages of pushing here with less risk if he has a real hand.
Also, If he is AFK, you can just call and get the same result.

ebaudry
09-30-2005, 01:33 AM
"I click the check/fold when 8-tabling. I don't think it would be wise to make any assumptions about my calling range from it. "

I wonder. Seems to me like I would assume a tighter range of calling hands for someone autofolding. This could be for a couple different reasons. You could be multi-tabling, meaning you are slightly more likely to know about good calling ranges, hence would call pretty tightly. The autofold could also be a sign of someone who wants a monster to call the bs/push because most observant type players would want to call the occasional 2BB min. raise and might be watching if you push into them 5 of the last 5 rounds.

So I guess I would say that facing an auto-folder, slightly lower your pushing requirements to relfect the slighty lower probably of getting called. I think the T9s example is perfect as a sort of hedge. You are making more money on mediocre hands you would normally fold, and still have a good hand if he wakes up with a hand. Sounds like a good, properly hedged investment to me /images/graemlins/grin.gif

To exploit players who tend to autofold I tend to wait a couple seconds longer in the CO or btn to give them a chance to set their auto-folding /images/graemlins/smile.gif