PDA

View Full Version : Top set + gutshot on a Broadway flop from the SB

jhall23
09-29-2005, 12:51 PM
I've just completed 1 orbit and don't have any real reads yet.

I checked here, but think maybe a bet out trying to trap some money due to my bad relative postion might be better.

Pot-Limit Omaha High, $1 BB (9 handed)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG ($99)
UTG+1 ($65.35)
MP1 ($95.70)
MP2 ($81)
MP3 ($61.80)
CO ($104.30)
<font color="#C00000">Button ($106.05)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($95.50)</font>
BB ($130.20)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls $1, MP3 calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $5.5</font>, Hero calls $5, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls $4.50, MP3 calls $4.50.

Flop: ($23) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero ....

joewatch
09-29-2005, 03:57 PM
I don't like leading out here. I'd much prefer to see the action behind before putting any money in the pot. If it goes bet-raise, then you don't have odds to call.

09-29-2005, 04:42 PM
I flopped a similar hand a while back and posted (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=PLomaha&amp;Number=3408390 &amp;fpart=&amp;PHPSESSID=) it.

I like checking here to see the action behind me, but I am weak and pretty new to this game.

Filip
09-29-2005, 06:41 PM
Hero raises preflop to get the pot headsup so he doesnt have to face situations like this /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tough one, you might try a blockbet for $4 and fold to a raise that doesnt give u correct odds.

Another approach would be to check and call any bet aslong as there is 2 player in with u. I figure you have some 30% equity against 2 opponents.

Filip
09-29-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I flopped a similar hand a while back and posted (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=PLomaha&amp;Number=3408390 &amp;fpart=&amp;PHPSESSID=) it.

I like checking here to see the action behind me, but I am weak and pretty new to this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thread, to bad i missed that one since i also posted a similar hand a while back.

jhall23
09-29-2005, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like leading out here. I'd much prefer to see the action behind before putting any money in the pot. If it goes bet-raise, then you don't have odds to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think so? Pot got realtively big due to the pre-flop raise. If it goes bet raise I think my equity would be pretty good three way to see the river.

My problem here was my bad relative postion to the raiser. Post hand I was thinking that if I bet out I might be able to trap some money between me and the raiser and then if he has the straight he'll push and my overlay would be better. Even if it goes fold to the PFR and he pushes I think I can gamble here. Worst scenario I came up with on two-dimes I was 30 % heads up (TJKK) I'm 35% against KQTJ. Could be up to 42.5% against the straight with no help in the side cards JT98.

Filip wrote:
[ QUOTE ]
Hero raises preflop to get the pot headsup so he doesnt have to face situations like this

Tough one, you might try a blockbet for $4 and fold to a raise that doesnt give u correct odds.

Another approach would be to check and call any bet aslong as there is 2 player in with u. I figure you have some 30% equity against 2 opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't want to raise Pre-flop as I handn't done any raising yet and would just be announcing my hand while being in bad position without getting much of my stack in.

I also am not sure like the idea of a block bet, because I think it just begs to get raised.

jhall23
09-29-2005, 07:35 PM
Agreed good thread, with some similarity to this. At least discussing equity getting all-in.

Thanks chimiconga!

Filip
09-29-2005, 10:26 PM
Wouldnt a raise enable you too put in some 25% of your stack preflop?

jhall23
09-29-2005, 11:01 PM
Yes, but with those crappy side cards and my crappy postion I don't think 25% is enough. Allows villian to play too perfectly against me.

KDawgCometh
10-01-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wouldnt a raise enable you too put in some 25% of your stack preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

which is way over commiting with this hand. We have no flush potential, and only one broadway to go with it, and reraising OOP PF basically commits us to the pot here, which blows if you really look hard at the hand. I think this call PF is perfectly fine because of our bad positon to the rest of the field, but excellent position to CR and shut out the entire field postflop on a flop like this.

as I just said, I'm CRing this flop in a heartbeat, and probably putting my whole stack in. Yes we could be in some trouble against a hand with J10 in it, but this is a really big pot to begin with and we have top set. I think the risk/reward ratio here is high, not to also discount the fact that we very well might have the best hand

jj_frap
10-02-2005, 02:18 PM
You have 6 boat outs (9 on the turn), 1 quad out, and 4 straight outs with no flush draws on the board.

I want all of my chips in the middle here if I can get it.

At low stakes, you're ahead reasonably often, and if you're behind, you're not that much worse than even money with two cards on the come.

jhall23
10-02-2005, 08:23 PM
FWIW, I'm not really concerned about putting my stack at risk in this hand. As you mention even if I'm behind I am drawing very live. That and the fact that I could be ahead of another set are worth gambling a little here.

I was a little confused on how to proceed due to my bad relative position to PFR. Very likely that people with check to the raiser so It's hard to trap money from other players.