PDA

View Full Version : Daily Song Single

judgesmails
09-29-2005, 11:34 AM
I just bought an iPod and figured out how to use it.

Mock me over this if you will, but I am uncomfortable with file-sharing and prefer to spend the $0.99 per song at iTunes than copy from other's computers.

My reluctance toward file-sharing is more based on long-term security fears for my computer and my financial transactions, than moral objections to artists "intelectual" property rights... If it matters. Not that I know if my fears are rational on any level.

That garbage established, I would like you to recommend a single for my purchase today.

My tastes lean toward blues and jazz. I play tenor sax, very poorly, and appreciate music that I can somewhat relate to. I can appreciate most every genre', but shy away from rap and country. I must admit that I do like the occasional Eminem or Tim McGraw song though, if it has quality lyrics and some interesting musical composition backing it up.

What should I buy today?

asofel
09-29-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just bought an iPod and figured out how to use it.

Mock me over this if you will, but I am uncomfortable with file-sharing and prefer to spend the $0.99 per song at iTunes than copy from other's computers.

My reluctance toward file-sharing is more based on long-term security fears for my computer and my financial transactions, than moral objections to artists "intelectual" property rights... If it matters. Not that I know if my fears are rational on any level.

That garbage established, I would like you to recommend a single for my purchase today.

My tastes lean toward blues and jazz. I play tenor sax, very poorly, and appreciate music that I can somewhat relate to. I can appreciate most every genre', but shy away from rap and country. I must admit that I do like the occasional Eminem or Tim McGraw song though, if it has quality lyrics and some interesting musical composition backing it up.

What should I buy today?

[/ QUOTE ]

Know anything by the Allman Brothers?

judgesmails
09-29-2005, 11:45 AM
I know their music in a general sense and have one single, " I'm No Angel," and love it.

What other Allman Brothers songs would I like?

I like the one song so much I may buy a bunch if you could make some good recommendations.

asofel
09-29-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know their music in a general sense and have one single, " I'm No Angel," and love it.

What other Allman Brothers songs would I like?

I like the one song so much I may buy a bunch if you could make some good recommendations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent. "I'm No Angel" is actually a Greg Allman song from his solo stuff. You should also check out "Its Not My Cross to Bear"...its slow bluesy with good guitar and Gregs usual raspy wails. The preview up at iTunes is from the beginning of the song and doesn't show much of the guitar or more dynamic points of the song.

You also must check out In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, the version from Live at the Fillmore East. Its a beautiful instrumental that features some amazing playing by Duane Allman. Pay attention to about half way through the 11th minute. Duane comes back in with some riffs that give me goosebumps. Turn it up nice and loud.

Dreams is also a classic. Very chill beautifully simple song.

Other favorites of mine include Don't Keep Me Wonderin', Midnight Rider, One Way Out, and Statesboro Blues. Just go to iTunes, run a search on Allman Brothers and preview a bunch of the songs there. There's a good mix of upbeat songs, more rock type songs, and more bluesy stuff.

If you have any questions on them after previewing lemme know!

irishpint
09-29-2005, 12:01 PM
as far as allman bros, how about blue skies?

as far as other music, try nothing to fancy by umphries mcgee, i think you'll love it. plus at 10 minutes long you get your .99 worth.

samjjones
09-29-2005, 12:05 PM
I also just ordered an iPod (yes, I am 4 years behind the times), and am looking forward to ripping all of my CD's. My attitudes towards file sharing are a bit more cavalier, however, so if somebody doesn't mind educating a complete newbie, please PM me.

asofel
09-29-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
as far as allman bros, how about blue skies?

as far as other music, try nothing to fancy by umphries mcgee, i think you'll love it. plus at 10 minutes long you get your .99 worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

definitely, blue sky is a great song. Of the 3 versions at iTunes the 5:11 is the old version with Gregg providing backing vocals for Dickey. The others don't have Duane playing on them, but they're still good.

By the way, a recommendation that I got from someone here, Ann Peebles - Trouble, Heartaches, and Pain. Short but beautiful song.

judgesmails
09-29-2005, 12:27 PM
I am looking at a version of Blue Sky that is 8:40. Could this possibly be bad? Or worse than the 5:11 version you suggest?

asofel
09-29-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am looking at a version of Blue Sky that is 8:40. Could this possibly be bad? Or worse than the 5:11 version you suggest?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I'm sure it'll be good as well. Just different guitarists. That version has Dickey and Warren who can more than handle their own.