PDA

View Full Version : Filet Mignon Pan Sauce Recipes?

samjjones
09-29-2005, 11:28 AM
Does anybody know of a quick pan sauce recipe for steak, in this instance filet mignon? I do not have the time to prepare a proper demi-glace.

Shajen
09-29-2005, 11:38 AM
http://www.ipcsupplies.com/images/OT375941S.jpg

Ok, seriously, you're preparing filet mignon but don't have time to make a proper sauce?

Uh, run to the store and buy some boar's head horseradish sauce? Don't cook it til you have more time?

This thread makes me unhappy.

Ok, if you have any red wine, try this:

6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (or use salted, it don't matter)
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 1/2 cups dry red wine

melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt. Add garlic and oregano and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in some tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Whisk in the wine. Simmer until the sauce reduces by half, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat. Strain the sauce into a small bowl, pressing on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard the solids in the strainer and return the sauce to the saucepan and bring back to a slow simmer. Cut 4 tablespoons of butter into small 1/2-inch chunks and whisk in the sauce a little at a time. Season the sauce, to taste, with salt and pepper.

09-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Try foodnetwork.com. Rachel (?) does a show about meals in 30 minutes or less, maybe she has something.

samjjones
09-29-2005, 11:44 AM
It takes 10 minutes to grill a filet. It takes 10 hours to make a proper demi-glace.

JaBlue
09-29-2005, 11:44 AM
search www.epicurious.com (http://www.epicurious.com)

Great site often has feedback on the recipes as well as a rating of which users would make it again.

slamdunkpro
09-29-2005, 11:52 AM
Just Deglaze the pan with a little red wine, then whisk in some soft butter, a touch of garlic powder, Worchester and a little heavy cream.

Or really cheap out and go with bottled Béarnaise sauce.

Shajen
09-29-2005, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It takes 10 minutes to grill a filet. It takes 10 hours to make a proper demi-glace.

[/ QUOTE ]

10 hours?

Are you growing the ingredients?

Either way, sucks that you don't have time. Try the recipe I sent you, or hit google.

xadrez
09-29-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just Deglaze the pan with a little red wine, then whisk in some soft butter, a touch of garlic powder, Worchester and a little heavy cream.

[/ QUOTE ]

add some shallots to this and youre money

slamdunkpro
09-29-2005, 12:29 PM
If you want to use shallots, just use 1, mince it up and put it in when you deglaze the pan.

samjjones
09-29-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

add some shallots to this and youre money

[/ QUOTE ]
This sounds perfect. Thanks guys.

09-29-2005, 02:03 PM
shallots are key. mince and saute briefly.

deglaze. If I don't have any wine around, I'll use balsamic vinegar, or red wine vinegar. I like to add a bit of tarragon, fines herbes, or herbes de provence.

butter of course.

09-29-2005, 02:10 PM
Demi Glace concentrate (http://www.clubsauce.com/products/demi_glace.shtml)

You will feel dirty using it, but this stuff is pretty decent and your company will not know the difference, especially if you add a bit of butter and wine while reconstituting. Lasts a long time, so easy to have on hand in the future.

slamdunkpro
09-29-2005, 02:15 PM
You can knock it out in a couple of hours with a pressure cooker. (I know, still too long)

elwoodblues
09-29-2005, 02:26 PM
After cooking the filets, cook some shallots and garlic in the pan until fragrant. Add about 1/2 C madeira wine (sherry as a substitute) and cook until reduced by 1/2. Stir in 1 tbs (about 1 filet) minced anchovy. Take off heat...stir in 1-2 Tbsp butter to thicken. Add chopped fresh parsley.

The recipe is from memory, so the proportions might not be quite right...It's a very good sauce - thank you America's Test Kitchen.

slamdunkpro
10-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Results?

mmcd
10-06-2005, 08:28 PM
You can make a bernaise pretty easily and quickly. Just whisk together egg yolks, a little tarragon vinegar, and butter over low heat until the mixture thickens (make sure you're pretty much constantly whisking the mixture). Just be careful with the heat so you don't scramble the eggs. This will take you ~5 minutes to make and it tastes great on filets.

cdxx
10-06-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
shallots are key. mince and saute briefly.

deglaze. If I don't have any wine around, I'll use balsamic vinegar, or red wine vinegar. I like to add a bit of tarragon, fines herbes, or herbes de provence.

butter of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

every time people describe a recipe to me, i am tempted to suggest replacing herbs with weed.

you are no exception.