PDA

View Full Version : Endurance running

mackthefork
09-29-2005, 08:50 AM
Any military or ex-military types who think they could cover 900 miles by foot on good roads, in 10 days? Assume indoor accommodation is available at the end of each day, and the desired food and drinks will be carried by someone else, riding beside you on a bike. Just wondering how close to possible this is.

Mack

jakethebake
09-29-2005, 08:54 AM
I was pretty damn good at the "recon shuffle" but no way in hell.

09-29-2005, 08:55 AM
I could do it in 8 days. Less, if there were no dangerous animals on the way. Not that they would stop me, I’d make poison darts out of the poison of the deadly frogs. One milligram of that poison can kill a monkey. Or a man. Prick yourself and you’d be dead within a day. Or longer. Different frogs, different times.

ChipWrecked
09-29-2005, 08:57 AM
90 miles a day for 10 days is pretty respectable by bike. Impossible on foot, IMHO.

(are you talking American miles, or wimpy klicks?)

jakethebake
09-29-2005, 08:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
90 miles a day for 10 days is pretty respectable by bike. Impossible on foot, IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not impossible. Google Yannis Kouros.

spamuell
09-29-2005, 08:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The mile is an Imperial measurement.

diebitter
09-29-2005, 09:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You tell these colonial johnnies what's what, what!

mackthefork
09-29-2005, 09:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mack

mackthefork
09-29-2005, 09:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I could do it in 8 days. Less, if there were no dangerous animals on the way. Not that they would stop me, I’d make poison darts out of the poison of the deadly frogs. One milligram of that poison can kill a monkey. Or a man. Prick yourself and you’d be dead within a day. Or longer. Different frogs, different times.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm slow today, took me 5 mins to get that one.

Mack

judgesmails
09-29-2005, 09:05 AM
I ran a marathon back in the day, and could not imagine running 3.5 of these a day for 10 days. Not so much because of the cardio or muscular requirements, but because of the pounding on your body. I weighed 200 lbs and finished in 4 hrs and 1 min and my body paid a price. I was never winded or tired from running, but my back, knees, and ankles would begin to hurt from banging the pavement.

Maybe a small person could do something like this? Seems unlikely to me though.

ChipWrecked
09-29-2005, 09:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

The John Bulls are feeling their oats today /images/graemlins/wink.gif

(btw, by 'Imperial' you mean 'Roman', right? Because isn't a mile 1000 Roman paces?)

mackthefork
09-29-2005, 09:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I ran a marathon back in the day, and could not imagine running 3.5 of these a day for 10 days. Not so much because of the cardio or muscular requirements, but because of the pounding on your body. I weighed 200 lbs and finished in 4 hrs and 1 min and my body paid a price. I was never winded or tired from running, but my back, knees, and ankles would begin to hurt from banging the pavement.

Maybe a small person could do something like this? Seems unlikely to me though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah 14 stone and some is fairly heavy for long distance running, unless you are very well put together. I'm fairly sure I could do 3.5 times the marathon in a day, but not confident i would be able to move the next day, or probably for 2 weeks afterwards.

Mack

diebitter
09-29-2005, 09:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Different frogs, different times.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was after a band name, this would be it.

diebitter
09-29-2005, 09:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

(btw, by 'Imperial' you mean 'Roman', right? Because isn't a mile 1000 Roman paces?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but because the British Empire was the largest one ever to exist on the face of the Earth, it defaults to us anyway.

mackthefork
09-29-2005, 09:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah 6 day, 1000 mile races, that guy is sure one hell of a mentalist.

Mack

ChipWrecked
09-29-2005, 09:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the British Empire was the largest one ever to exist on the face of the Earth

[/ QUOTE ]

So far. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

mackthefork
09-29-2005, 09:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Touche.

Mack

jakethebake
09-29-2005, 09:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever read about his first Ultra? His very first Ultra he ran against all the best in the world at the time and crushed them all by hours. Part of it was at night and they all thought he cheated. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

diebitter
09-29-2005, 09:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the British Empire was the largest one ever to exist on the face of the Earth

[/ QUOTE ]

So far. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

'was' means the past.

Er, you Yankee johnnies not working on a time machine/tank combo, are you /images/graemlins/frown.gif

yoshi_yoshi
09-29-2005, 09:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Only after having distinguished himself in over 70 races and run more than the distance from the earth to the moon (384,000km)"

Holy [censored].

mackthefork
09-29-2005, 09:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever read about his first Ultra? His very first Ultra he ran against all the best in the world at the time and crushed them all by hours. Part of it was at night and they all thought he cheated. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I know it's a minority sport but that guy is incredible.

Mack

Shajen
09-29-2005, 10:27 AM
I don't think so.

My unit was in 29 Palms doing some training with the grunts of 2/1.

The CO of 2/1 got the idea to hump back to Camp Pendleton (roughly 200 miles or so, IIRC) from mainside 29 Palms. They had to carry all of their supplies and would hump 25-30 miles a day.

They got about half way before they started losing troops at an alarming rate.

900 miles in 10 days? 90 miles a day? Sun up to sun down you'd be walking. No way.

jakethebake
09-29-2005, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think so.

The CO of 2/1 got the idea to hump back to Camp Pendleton (roughly 200 miles or so, IIRC) from mainside 29 Palms. They had to carry all of their supplies and would hump 25-30 miles a day.

900 miles in 10 days? 90 miles a day? Sun up to sun down you'd be walking. No way.

[/ QUOTE ]

25-30 miles isn't that far. When I was MCRD, the recruits all did a 25 mile hump. And it was a cakewalk for me. In fact I used to shuffle most of it. I've been on longer humps. The troops they were losing were surely the shitbirds.

Shajen
09-29-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think so.

[/ QUOTE ]

25-30 miles isn't that far. When I was MCRD, the recruits all did a 25 mile hump. And it was a cakewalk for me. In fact I used to shuffle most of it. I've been on longer humps. The troops they were losing were surely the shitbirds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, everyone did the hump up Mount MFer. That's not the thing. They were road walking, with full packs.

Not [censored] birds, I went on float with those crazy bastards. Just wrecked a bunch of people's knees and legs.

daveymck
09-29-2005, 10:57 AM
Not planning to run from John'o'Groats to Landsend are you?

Walking it may be possible (how long did it take Botham?) running I suspect would be too hard, you would need to train very hard for a few months and even then on the run itself the chance of injury would be high.

jakethebake
09-29-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, everyone did the hump up Mount MFer. That's not the thing. They were road walking, with full packs.

Not [censored] birds, I went on float with those crazy bastards. Just wrecked a bunch of people's knees and legs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not talking Mt. Mother. I don't know when you went through. I was stationed there awhile after boot camp. They had added a long hump that was more what you're talking about. Mt. Mother was all about mental. I remember when I was a recruit, it seemed hard as [censored]. Later I used to go do it with the recruits just for fun. As a recruit, you were just so mentally tired everything was a challenge.

BreakfastBurrito
09-29-2005, 11:11 AM
Kouros' record for the 1000 mile is 10 days 10 hr 30 minutes, so your challenge looks like it is barely possible, but only achievable by the greatest endurance runner in all of history.

Shajen
09-29-2005, 11:11 AM
I went to bootcamp July 5th of 93.

Our longest hump was around 25 miles or so. It included Mt Mfer.

The mountain wasn't all that bad.

I assume you went through around 87-88?

jakethebake
09-29-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I assume you went through around 87-88?

[/ QUOTE ]

'87. Maybe it was just the stress fracture in my right femur that made it seem so bad to me then. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

When i was in boot camp, I think our longest was some 12 miler. Pretty weak. Al Gray fixed that when he got in there though.

Voltron87
09-29-2005, 11:21 AM
I don't get why you were running so far. I mean that's way longer than any of the boats in the navy, I know some of the aircraft carriers are long, but still. Shouldn't you be swimming more instead?

Shajen
09-29-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't get why you were running so far. I mean that's way longer than any of the boats in the navy, I know some of the aircraft carriers are long, but still. Shouldn't you be swimming more instead?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're teh funny. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
09-29-2005, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if I had money like you, I could've been out finding hookers instead of running at all. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

mackthefork
09-29-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Kouros' record for the 1000 mile is 10 days 10 hr 30 minutes, so your challenge looks like it is barely possible, but only achievable by the greatest endurance runner in all of history.

[/ QUOTE ]

He ran 639 miles on the road in 6 days, that makes me think 900 miles in 10 days would be tough to impossible for a normal decent club runner. 14 might be do-able though, if they could recover for the next day.

Mack