PDA

View Full Version : $33: AA hand.. what to do?

chipzilla
09-29-2005, 06:40 AM
Seat 10 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: Gigababe (780)
Seat 2: THEBUM1 (655)
Seat 3: DaPhatAce (1020)
Seat 4: HERO (980)
Seat 5: yunonymous (880)
Seat 6: Martin19811 (782)
Seat 7: Snow88Man (750)
Seat 8: aurelie_23 (785)
Seat 9: Morten271 (535)
Seat 10: godiva150 (833)
Gigababe posts small blind (15)
THEBUM1 posts big blind (30)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ As, Ah ]
DaPhatAce calls (30)
HERO raises (100) to 100
yunonymous folds.
Martin19811 folds.
Snow88Man folds.
aurelie_23 folds.
Morten271 folds.
godiva150 folds.
Gigababe folds.
THEBUM1 folds.
DaPhatAce calls (70)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ Th, 7d, 6c ]
DaPhatAce checks.
HERO bets (180)
DaPhatAce calls (180)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 8c ]
DaPhatAce bets (175)
HERO?

Actually.. I called the turn bet and faced with an all-in bet on the river.. What are your thoughts on this hand?

Hornacek
09-29-2005, 06:55 AM
Raise more preflop.

Once you get to the turn, if you're stuck against a 10-9, so be it. Loose caller, take a note on him, take your hit in stride. Otherwise, if you ran into a set, so be it as well.

Finally, you hope he has A10. Go broke with AA. Push.

hyde
09-29-2005, 07:08 AM
My thoughts are AA gets cracked about 15% of the time. this is one of those times.
Looks like a set to me.

the emotional distress of laying down AA is why God invented beer......

Fatdogs12
09-29-2005, 07:41 AM
I ain't laying down aces. Raise more preflop for sure (like 125 is fine) I push all in on the turn for sure, probably bet more on the flop too. Aces get cracked some times, so what it's +EV to be aggressive with them. Enough idiots will call with garbage to make this +EV (even if you pushed preflop I think that would probably be acceptable too. You will get KK, pos QQ or JJ to call. Better to win a little then lose a lot.

se2schul
09-29-2005, 09:09 AM
I like your raise PF. It was enough to get a single caller. Good flop bet. You could also overbet the pot on the flop.
I push on the turn. He could be making this play with top pair, or even a draw.

What range of hands do you put the villain on?

09-29-2005, 11:02 AM
I think this is a standard line if he thinks you have just overcards with a wide range of hands...the trouble is, with the board the way it is, the vast majority of that range has you beat - TT, 99, 88, 77, 66, T9, T8, 98, 87, 76, 86, T7, A9, and you are only ahead of hands like AT, KT, QT, JT, unlikely limped JJ, very unlikely played QQ or KK, unlikely 55 and lower pairs. If he has any of those 2 pair hands or a hand with a 9, he does bet the turn if he thinks you have overcards or a big pair.

If I'm doing this, I've probably got you beat unless I decided to limp JJ or happened to have 55 and thought you just had overcards. Of course, I don't move in on the river with 55 unless the river is a 5 or a 4.

Unless you really have a reason to think your opponent is a total donk, I'd like to think I'd be able to fold this...and I think its an easy fold if you call here and get an all in on the river.

That said, I think you played it right, you just got an awful board for your aces and you should leave...which is better than getting an awesome board for your aces but having them be second best.

Dennis

09-29-2005, 11:14 AM
Preflop - Raise was fine - I like to vary between 3X and 6X randomly.

Post - I think your raise was too small for my taste. I understand you bet most of the pot, but if I get an opponent to call a substantial raise pre and I have AA KK or QQ, I really bet hard on the flop to protect my hand. I can see you were not too intimidated by that board, as there was no 2 flusher and only a remote straight draw; however, my preference is if my opponent is going to see another card, he is going to pay alot. Usually I bet about double the pot if not push. This is more personal preference, though, and your bet was certainly reasonable given that flop.

Turn -- Without a doubt, I either push or check here. I would either decide that I do not think he has a 9, and push, or just check. I think just another solid bet was counterproductive here.

River -- Basically the same decision as on the turn: do you think he has a 9 or not. 99 or a9s are very possible hands. I would find it hard to believe even online that an opp would push on the river with just two pair or a pair here. I would probably fold and regroup at this point.

Again, the biggest mistake in my opinion was made on the flop. I hate getting into those dillemas that can cost me my whole stack - that is why I raise more or even push on the flop.

junkmail3
09-29-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Looks like a set to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then push and river a better set.