PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone keep calling me? (NL Hold 'em)

09-29-2005, 05:55 AM
I've had a very frustrating few days this week and lost about $1000. Here's a major problem I keep running into:

Everyone calls my pre-flop raises.

Here's what I raise on: Pocket pairs, suited connectors, and any 2 split cards 10 and above (10 J, J A, etc).

I don't bluff with preflop raises, at all. Yet everyone calls me without a second thought. This rarely occurs when any other player raises. When another player raises, they'll average 2-3 callers on a full table, but when I raise, I average about 5.

I raise the same general amount that everyone else does pre-flop. Granted, when I raise, I like having at least a few callers to get some value out of my cards, but with 5 callers per raise, alot of people see the flop against me with complete and utter crap...and they hit.

It's just really frustrating to have a guy with 7-5 offsuit call my $10 raise in a $1-$2 NL game, and then hit two pair or an open ended straight on the flop just to suck me out further down.

Am I doing something wrong?

Should I tighten my starting requirements for a raising hand?

Loosen them?

Why does everyone call me?

Popinjay
09-29-2005, 05:59 AM
wrong forum, try this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=begin)

Ulysses
09-29-2005, 06:07 AM
Probably because you pay off like a slot machine when they flop a better hand than you.

Shaun
09-29-2005, 06:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Probably because you pay off like a slot machine when they flop a better hand than you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best advice I've seen in one sentence in a long time. I'm right there with you original poster, and I think El Diablo hit it on the head. We are paying off too much.

RikaKazak
09-29-2005, 09:04 AM
this is so obvious, raise more (times the bb), wow, I'm a genius

yvesaint
09-29-2005, 09:15 AM
everyones out to get you