PDA

View Full Version : Party $11: Poorly played straight in level 1

Jackrabbit Slim
09-29-2005, 05:39 AM
As it turns out, I simply don't know how to play poker and I had a bad feeling the entire hand. I get my open ended straight draw on the flop, but it's the ass end and there's a flush draw out so I'd be pretty happy if someone bet their ace heavily here and I could just fold. Instead, my evil foes decide to give me great odds so I call the measly 25 and hit my straight on the turn. I don't feel that confident that my hand is even best right now since QJ is a very common limping hand and as an added bonus there are now two flush draws out. I have to bet here to see where I stand, but I believe this is the first big error, my 100 bet seems too small?

So I get not one but two callers, fantastic. I guess the J /images/graemlins/club.gif would be the worst possible river card, but the J /images/graemlins/spade.gif is a pretty close second. Should I just check/fold this now or take another stab?

Maybe I should just stop completing with hands like this in the SB since I'm having so much troubles with post flop play?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP3 (t1135)
CO (t645)
Button (t2065)
Hero (t785)
BB (t745)
UTG (t355)
UTG+1 (t690)
MP1 (t675)
MP2 (t905)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls t15, CO calls t15, Button calls t15, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t90) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t25</font>, MP3 calls t25, CO calls t25, Button folds, Hero calls t25, BB folds.

Turn: (t190) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>, MP1 calls t100, MP3 folds, CO calls t100.

River: (t490) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero throws up in his mouth and does?

09-29-2005, 05:47 AM
pot the turn, to force him to make a mistake by calling.

on the river, I would say to lead out with a blocking bet of 1/2 the pot... since there are alot of hands that could call you other than the flush.

Also, if you have a read on how tentative the call on the turn was, you might bet the pot here, hoping to scare him with the flush.

there are two options, now someone who's smart come tell me which is correct here.... or if both are wrong.

overall though, you have to pot the turn.

jedinite
09-29-2005, 12:11 PM
I agree about betting the turn bigger - but that wasn't the question - at that point there's 190 in the pot, I'd generally raise 200. But at the $11 a lot of people with fourflushes are going to call anyways.

With two callers behind at $100 on the turn, the river jack that completes one of the two flush draws (and invalidates your straight to any queen) is certainly a terrible card. I'd just check here, at the $11 - I doubt your opponents are sophsticated enough to fold to a bluff holding any non-nut hand that actually beats you and you'd have to risk too many of your chips to make an effective bluff. Check and call a small bet but let it go if someone pushes.