PDA

View Full Version : Maximizing value heads up

09-29-2005, 03:53 AM
How do I extract the most bets out of this guy? I think every street is debatable, and I'm unsure about the line I took.

His stats - 45/0/2 wts% 35% after only 30 hands. I also raised first in from hijack the previous hand (he was in SB and called) and he folded to the continuation bet on a ragged board.

Party Poker 2.00/4.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(9 handed)</font> link (http://www.darksun.lunarpages.com/poker/)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (2.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (4.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 6.75 BB.

MyTurn2Raise
09-29-2005, 03:59 AM
My problem is that this does not seem consistent with the previous hand against that player. You're setting up a pattern of betting the flop when it doesn't hit you and checking when it does. I've seen quite a few players who do this and they become easy to pick apart. You might as well stay consistent and bet out.

Then again, I'm extrapolating from a sample size of 2, so I can be totally off base here.

mowz
09-29-2005, 04:01 AM
Yes if you are going to be tricky, at least be consistent. Tricky would be betting the flop as you did previously, but then checkraising the turn, and then betting the river. I would just stick with a bet, bet, bet line though. The way you played it will cost you money against all but the most agressive opponents.

Buck_65
09-29-2005, 04:05 AM
Bet the flop, you don't always have an opportunity to suck maximum value out of every hand. Sometimes your opponent has a hand and will call or raise you on the flop, other times they will fold which is better than allowing a free card that might complete a straight. What were you thinking when you check-called the turn? If it's value you want from your hands, you need to play them stronger by, oh, I dunno, maybe putting bets into the pot. Just bet every street and re-raise if given the opportunity, you'll be fine.

09-29-2005, 04:12 AM
Yeah, very valid point. I've seen players do this, and it can be an obvious tell. Though, from what I've seen this opponent appears to be playing based on his holding. I also doubt he has enough information on me after 30 hands, only ~3 of which have went to showdown, to accurately identify my betting patterns.

Though, it is important to vary your play and avoid giving away info on your hand.

09-29-2005, 04:19 AM
Betting this flop for protection is a little silly in my opinion. He overcalled two cold pf, meaning I can almost totally rule out a straight draw. That's not to say I shouldn't have bet the flop, as he probably would have called with overs or even A-high.

I wasn't thinking when I checked the turn /images/graemlins/blush.gif

mack848
09-29-2005, 04:30 AM
I agree that protection is of little importance here -it's about extracting the most with your monster.

Betting the flop tells your opponent exactly nothing more about your hand than he knew preflop - as players almost always bet the flop after raising preflop. He liked his hand enough to cold call, so will most likely call or raise post flop; he may well have a pair and like the fact that there is no A or K on the flop.

Checking the flop here is almost like saying "I have a monster - please don't fold yet".

MyTurn2Raise
09-29-2005, 04:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Checking the flop here is almost like saying "I have a monster - please don't fold yet".

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post

shant
09-29-2005, 05:21 AM
I think this is a good spot to bet the flop and check the turn. It looks like you're giving up on your blind steal, and most opponents will bet with anything on the turn because of the weakness. Then you can checkraise them and they go "wtf" and call you down and pay you off.

PatJ
09-29-2005, 06:24 AM
I like being consistently agressive - the flop bet can be less scary than checking. Being you checked the flop i'd bet the turn. Being that you checked the turn and he bet, i'd check the river too and pray for him to bet so we can raise.