PDA

View Full Version : Should I set myself up for the trifecta?

J.A.Sucker
09-29-2005, 02:45 AM
80 - 160 game. My opponent is a total wacko and loves to play the game, moreso than he likes money. I say this because he does all kinds of wacky things just because they are fun, not necessarily because they are right. The best thing is that he actually realizes this and doesn't care. The non-California players know the type of guy I'm talking about, but I don't know if the others do. He's a nice guy and we have some good banter going.

He opens for a raise in the SB and I 3 bet with 66 in the BB. He calls.

Flop comes: 8-5-3. Rainbow. He checks, I bet. He checkraises. I call.

Turn: 8. He checks again. I bet. He checkraises again. I call again.

River: Q. He checks. I do what?

Comments on all streets welcome.

obi---one
09-29-2005, 02:52 AM
I would bet and call a checkraise against the player you descibe, and i think you should have three bet the turn.

Klepton
09-29-2005, 03:54 AM
just check

mike l.
09-29-2005, 04:30 AM
bet again. im putting him on A5 maybe only A high. you may be trifectad but it doesnt count if you have him beat.

anyway im not sure why you didnt 3 bet the turn, that seems to be the definite play to me.

baronzeus
09-29-2005, 04:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
he does all kinds of wacky things just because they are fun, not necessarily because they are right

[/ QUOTE ]

it's close, but i think you should bet and pay off one more because hed play a pair of fives like this (based on your read) and i hate missing value bets.

The Truth
09-29-2005, 04:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he does all kinds of wacky things just because they are fun, not necessarily because they are right

[/ QUOTE ]

it's close, but i think you should bet and pay off one more because hed play a pair of fives like this (based on your read) and i hate missing value bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like betting too. Even if he has you beat and trifectas you; at least you got to make a fish happy, that'll keep him comin back.

-blake

Lawrence Ng
09-29-2005, 04:59 AM
Value bet or not, even wackos can sometimes pick up pocket pairs (99 to AA) and play them awkwardly.

I take the more conservative route on this hand and just check the river.

Lawrence

Ray Zee
09-29-2005, 09:22 AM
the correct answer is to bet again. he wants the oportunity to have checkraised three times in one hand, so will almost certainly do it with the winner or not.

good poker aint just starting with the best hand

fnord_too
09-29-2005, 09:36 AM
Bet and call a raise. He's there to have fun, oblige him. I think betting and calling a raise is +EV on it's own, but the fact that a guy who doesn't mind spewing if he's having fun gets to have the type of fun he likes is gravy.

flawless_victory
09-29-2005, 12:07 PM
im really surprised you didnt threebet the turn here...
i think the question of whethwer to bet depends alot on whether he is fourbetting 77-TT PF. if no, then bet for sure. looks 100% like a 5... if he checkraises and shows you 888, fine... but that just seems unlikely.

AceHigh
09-29-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He checks. I do what?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would check, unless you think your opponent would think it's fun to check/raise you again. Then I would bet and let him have his fun.

Justin A
09-29-2005, 01:18 PM
Bet and call the checkraise, then shake your head in humiliation about being trifecta'd as you're stacking all the chips.

J.A.Sucker
09-29-2005, 01:45 PM
OK, here's the thing. I knew what was going to happen, and I knew what the right play was, and that was to bet and call the checkraise that would surely come. Unfortunately, I chickened out and checked behind. He had 5-3o, flopped bottom two and got counterfeited by the 8. I played this one badly.

I didn't 3 bet the turn because I feel that I get more information this way. Of course, I need to use my information wisely, and I didn't here. Big mistake on my part.

flawless_victory
09-29-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
im really surprised you didnt threebet the turn here...
i think the question of whethwer to bet depends alot on whether he is fourbetting 77-TT PF. if no, then bet for sure. looks 100% like a 5... if he checkraises and shows you 888, fine... but that just seems unlikely.

[/ QUOTE ]should read: it yes , then bet... oops.

Boris
09-29-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't 3 bet the turn because I feel that I get more information this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming you mean that you get more information by calling. But the statement makes no sense unless when you call, the opponent gives off a physical tell that more clearly defines his hand.

J.A.Sucker
09-29-2005, 04:10 PM
I don't know if there was a tell, but I guess there might have been a feeling, you know? Then again, maybe I'm just full of it again, which is probably true.