PDA

View Full Version : Hooligans - anyone seen it?

sexdrugsmoney
09-29-2005, 01:37 AM
Just saw this film Hooligans (aka Green Street Hooligans) starring Elijah Wood and thought it was f**king great. (I wanna see it again)

Anyone else seen it?

daveymck
09-29-2005, 04:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just saw this film Hooligans (aka Green Street Hooligans) starring Elijah Wood and thought it was f**king great. (I wanna see it again)

Anyone else seen it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything that glams up the mindless idiotic thugs involved in this element of football and makes out there is honour and great lessons to learn from it isnt somthing I want to watch.

sexdrugsmoney
09-29-2005, 04:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Anyone else seen it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything that glams up the mindless idiotic thugs involved in this element of football and makes out there is honour and great lessons to learn from it isnt somthing I want to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a really good film, and doesn't "glorify" it I assure you.

Check it out.

Tron
09-29-2005, 05:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Anyone else seen it?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this is basically the exact opposite of what the movie does. I liked it a lot.

They had a Q&A with the director after the screening I wen to... Man the ArcLight is awesome.

sexdrugsmoney
09-29-2005, 05:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Anyone else seen it?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this is basically the exact opposite of what the movie does. I liked it a lot.

They had a Q&A with the director after the screening I wen to... Man the ArcLight is awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's she like? (the director)

I heard she's a German kickboxer. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

daveymck
09-29-2005, 05:18 AM
The reviews I have seen and heard have suggested otherwise I quote from one.

"Green Street is a colossal misstep at every turn, and it's the sort of film that's bound to appeal more to one who knows not a single thing about football and the UK than one with even the slightest knowledge. It's patronising, cheap and violent in all the wrong ways."

Going to matches can be bad enough at some places and I have been in enough bad situations to not really want to see it.

sexdrugsmoney
09-29-2005, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The reviews I have seen and heard have suggested otherwise I quote from one.

"Green Street is a colossal misstep at every turn, and it's the sort of film that's bound to appeal more to one who knows not a single thing about football and the UK than one with even the slightest knowledge. It's patronising, cheap and violent in all the wrong ways."

Going to matches can be bad enough at some places and I have been in enough bad situations to not really want to see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough but I suggest you read the Roger Ebert review, it's quite accurate.

BTW what club do you support?

Cheers,
SDM

daveymck
09-29-2005, 06:00 AM
Sunderland for my sins.

sexdrugsmoney
09-29-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sunderland for my sins.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what to say so I'm saying nothing. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
09-29-2005, 11:53 AM
I have not seen this, but it's a thug movie w/ Elijiah Wood? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

sexdrugsmoney
09-29-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have not seen this, but it's a thug movie w/ Elijiah Wood? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a 'ard cnut. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

No seriously, Ebert said the same thing before seeing it, but once you see it you'll see why they chose Wood, and what it says about some misconceptions of these groups.

Seriously, highly recommended film.

diebitter
09-29-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sunderland for my sins.

[/ QUOTE ]
I remember seeing them play an FA cup once. 71-72? Against Leeds, was it?

Did Norman Hunter play for them then?

Am I hopelessly confused?

daveymck
09-29-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sunderland for my sins.

[/ QUOTE ]
I remember seeing them play an FA cup once. 71-72? Against Leeds, was it?

Did Norman Hunter play for them then?

Am I hopelessly confused?

[/ QUOTE ]

1973 one month after I was born and our last major trophy, its been one let down after another ever since then. Was a good win in the cup were a division lower and Leeds were the Man utd or Chlesea of their day, also has one of the greatest double saves in the history of the game done by Jimmy Montgomerie.

NOrman Hunter played for leeds I think.