PDA

View Full Version : Overplayed draw?

ElSapo
05-15-2003, 11:15 AM
Following a bit of a disaster on a previous hand, I suspect my raises will be getting lots of callers. So in EP I get dealt A8s and raise. Four callers and the blinds fold. The Flop comes J7T with two spades, and I bet out. One fold and three call. Turn is a K, giving me three more outs (any spade and the other Queens). I bet again and get raised. All call, river brings another K, not a club, and I check-fold here.
Did I way overplay this draw? The first issue is, I suppose, the raise with A8s, but once I have the draw should I be in there betting?

Nottom
05-15-2003, 11:39 AM
The pre-flop raise is bad. After that you played it fine.
On the flop, you got good value for your bet with 3 callers on your 2-1 shot. The turn bet is still good as a semibluff, obvious call on the re-raise with 11 out to the nuts and easy laydown on the river.

Bob T.
05-15-2003, 11:42 AM
Following a bit of a disaster on a previous hand, I suspect my raises will be getting lots of callers. So in EP I get dealt A8s and raise.

How do you spell T-I-L-T? What are you trying to do with this raise other than give away money? If you had a disaster on the previous hand, your opponents are going to look for you to do something goofy on this hand, because if players tilt, that is the most common way to do it. This has to be a monstrous leak, and if you can't fix it, no amount of strategic help is going to save you.

After that, you played your draw fine, you didn't mention it, but you also had the one card draw to a 9 for a straight on the flop.

Louie Landale
05-15-2003, 09:41 PM
You seem to be about a 3:1 underdog to make the nuts on the end and got 3:1 for your bet (and the raise). Except for the chances of splitting the straight, looks like an EV wash to me. So you appear to be cementing your loose-raiser image at no addional cost.

So the $64k question is: Are you going to be able to take advantage of that image or are you just "disaster" prone?

Really. You need to answer that for yourself. You also need to ASK that question of yourself the next time this sort of thing happens, since you can easily turn away potential "disaster" by just being aware of it.

- Louie

PS. Aren't you even TEMPTED to bet this one out on the end?