PDA

View Full Version : Too passive, or am I keeping people in?

ElSapo
05-15-2003, 11:09 AM
Folded to me in MP, and I limp with A8c. Three more callers plus the blinds, six to the flop. It comes a favorable AsQc4c. Top pair and a draw to the nut flush. SB checks, BB bets and I just call. At this point, I figure I want to keep people in. Seems to me that I'm drawing to the nuts and my top pair is either good or it isn't - definite kicker problems. I think I'd rather have callers. This was my logic at the time anyways. Two more callers, button and SB fold.

Turn is the 3c, completes my flush. BB bets, and again I just call, looking to keep in the other two players and raise the river. Other two fold, it's heads up. River is the 3s, BB bets, I raise and he calls. My hand is good.
The play looks passive on the flop and turn I think, but I also thought at the time that I wanted callers, both for the draw and once I made the flush. Should I have raised before though? BB showed down A9 for a bigger kicker, though it wouldn’t have played.

ECondreras
05-15-2003, 11:37 AM
Let me preclude my comment with stating that I am no expert. However, I like to read these posts and compare them to how I would have played the hand.

You didn't mention the table conditions, but I would assume that it is a typical loose low limit table. With that in mind, I know that agressive play on the flop and turn is not going to fold everyone, but I would be looking to get people out with Ace-mid/low kicker. My fear being the full house. For me, if your heads up opponent had reraised, I would be thinking that he put you on the flush and that he was holding A3 for the boat. Then I would have been scratching my head. Anytime a pair hits the board, I am not feeling to great about my flush.

Anyway, I would have been more agressive hoping to fold some marginal hands that could come back to haunt me. But like I said, I am no expert and I just wanted to see what you thought.

Nottom
05-15-2003, 01:51 PM
I like it, sometimes its nice to just call. You may have the best hand, but most likely you need to hit your flush. If he doesn't have an ace, you don't want to scare him off and you don't want to push out the other players either so calling is good on the flop. On the turn, calling is still good based on relative position since again, you are better off hoping for an over call. Easy raise on the river.