PDA

View Full Version : Does this job exist?

kurosh
09-28-2005, 11:55 PM
Is there a job that combines medical doctor with math or computers?

Anyone know how much more a doctor makes than an actuary?

jba
09-29-2005, 12:08 AM
I work for a medical software company and we have had several MD's work for our company in various positions and many on a consultant basis, typically doing product development. My understanding is that they would would make 10-50% higher for us than for their market salary in the medical field. The higher end are typically people with more diverse backgrounds for example MBA/MD types that have never really practiced medicine (and these guys have been terrible, small sample size though).

09-29-2005, 12:19 AM
I heard that dentists are in high demand and can easily make more than your average MD.

I have no facts to back this up, however.

theben
09-29-2005, 12:21 AM
an actuary makes usually makes in the range of 60-300k. doctors can make a lot more and they also have a higher average pay.

i dont know about the first one. maybe something to do w/ fancy radiation therapy

JordanIB
09-29-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the stuff they do these days with cross-sectional scans of the body?

wacki
09-29-2005, 01:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My job, bioinformatics.

kurosh
09-29-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My job, bioinformatics.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't believe I've ever heard of bioinformatics as a standalone major.

What major would you recommend for someone going into this field?

Are you an MD?

Do you make close to what a practicing doctor makes?

afk
09-29-2005, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe I've ever heard of bioinformatics as a standalone major. What major would you recommend for someone going into this field?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's slowly creeping its way into schools, at least in Canada. My school has a new bioinformatics undergrad degree. They're just starting out so it's not that popular yet and still evolving. Though I have a good friend in it. She's taken a lot of comp sci and various biology/biochem courses.

wacki
09-29-2005, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

What major would you recommend for someone going into this field?

[/ QUOTE ]

bioinformatics, CS, biology, chemistry, etc.... so many possibilities

[ QUOTE ]
Are you an MD?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I've taken a lot of the same classes.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you make close to what a practicing doctor makes?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pure research, grant funded style, so I'm poor. But I've had some amazing jobs. But not all bioinformaticians are poor. Private industry is where the $$$ is in my field. And from what I've heard there is a lot of it. I dunno though.

2+2 wannabe
09-29-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe I've ever heard of bioinformatics as a standalone major. What major would you recommend for someone going into this field?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's slowly creeping its way into schools, at least in Canada. My school has a new bioinformatics undergrad degree. They're just starting out so it's not that popular yet and still evolving. Though I have a good friend in it. She's taken a lot of comp sci and various biology/biochem courses.

[/ QUOTE ]

which uni are you at?

Ulysses
09-29-2005, 02:18 AM
Not as directly related to your question as bioinformatics, but you should look into biomedical engineering. Very fascinating area.

wacki
09-29-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not as directly related to your question as bioinformatics, but you should look into biomedical engineering. Very fascinating area.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, massive earning potential if you start your own company. Purdue University has a very good program for biomedical engineering. The female scene there sucks though. Trust me I know both from first hand experience. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ok, now I'm curious. Exactly what is your educational background? I mean I've always thought you were a businessman but you seem to have a mild interest in science stuff. At the same time you never go into any real detail. So I don't know.

xorbie
09-29-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good place to look if you're more into the math/CS stuff:

http://csbi.mit.edu/

It's one of the best comp. bio departments in the world, doing some really interesting research. Biomedical Eng. is also really getting hot from what I understand.

There's definitely money to be had in the field, but mostly in industry or even as an MD/PhD doing research at a Hospital or something.

mmbt0ne
09-29-2005, 03:13 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah kurosh. You can come do the GT/Emory deal here, and hang out with me in your spare time. I'll let you beat up my younger brother when he does drugs, and there are plenty of 6s and 7s you can date who won't get raped or ogled by other guys.

The Truth
09-29-2005, 04:23 AM
I am with you Kurosh. I am premed, and I am about to start applying to medical school... but I am just not sure if its what I want to do. So im kinda up in the air now.
So, I'm just working on a tripple major while trying to decide.

Any cool job ideas appreciated.

Keys are freedom, intellectual development, money in a more minor way. I think it'll have be some type of phd program to satisfy me. Graduate school is an option, but then I might switch all over and go for physics or stats.

Im confused.

-blake

ChipWrecked
09-29-2005, 04:25 AM
Just don't go to work for Skynet and design the Terminators like these other fuckers are going to do.

Ulysses
09-29-2005, 05:16 AM
I have a BSEE in Electrical &amp; Computer Engineering. I've been a software startup business guy for pretty much all of my career. I dabble in all sorts of stuff, though.

wall_st
09-29-2005, 05:22 AM
One of my friends just graduated with a degree in Biological Systems Engineering from UCDavis. It sounds a lot like what you are talking about, he did some software stuff, some hardware stuff and a lot of biological sciences (I think this was the majority of his major). He is applying to a lot of places right now, Genetech is one of the ones that comes to mind.

The Armchair
09-29-2005, 07:48 AM
You need a new avatar.

http://fly.srk.fer.hr/~poljakow/images/locutus.jpg

CD56
09-29-2005, 10:41 AM
I'm a 3rd year med student, the MDs i see using technology for patient care the most are....

Radiologists-using new imaging studies, which is a field that is exploding as i understand it

Cardiac Electrophysiologists-monitoring and fixing the electrical activity in the heart

What i don't see on a day to day basis are the MDs who don't actually interact with patients, but I know they're out there, you could work for a pharm company (or probably just about any type of industry) figuring out how their product would affect peoples health using computer generated models etc.

Financially you'll be fine in any medical sector with an advanced degree.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-29-2005, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
an actuary makes usually makes in the range of 60-300k.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's one helluva range.

Jingleheimer
09-29-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that it is what you were asking, but if you are interested in becoming and MD for the $$$, you will likely be pretty unhappy and also a bad doctor to boot.

As has been pointed out, there are a large number of jobs which combine the medical fields with technology: BME, bioinformatics, radiology, biophysics, and so on. You could even get graduate degrees in EE, ME where your research focus was on medical devices.

There are a number of subdisciplines of bioinformatics that deal with things like genomic analysis, protein folding, image analysis and so on, so you should do some exploring to see what you like.

But for all of these fields, even if you only terminate with a Master's degree, your salary will be sufficient that you can live comfortably and you should just concentrate on job satisfaction instead of maximizing $$$. (But if you just want to maximize $$$, why not use this technical training to become a patent lawyer or an MBA. Jobs that you will likely not like but are almost guaranteed to make more.)

J

MINETZ
09-29-2005, 02:07 PM
im going into actuarial science... the deal /w the huge range is that when you start out you might have 1 or 2 exams passed, you have to pass 8 to technically become an actuary, after you start your job you get paid time off to study for exams and when you pass an exam you get a huge bonus, average out of college salary - 50k, avg after 4 years out of college = 100k

StevieG
09-29-2005, 02:32 PM
Good points.

[ QUOTE ]

But if you just want to maximize $$$, why not use this technical training to become a patent lawyer or an MBA. Jobs that you will likely not like but are almost guaranteed to make more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or combine an MD with law school and join the fury of malpractice litigation that has helped push healthcare to eat up 15% of the U.S. GDP.

theben
09-29-2005, 02:34 PM
yeah. i was giving an approx. range including what top actuaries make and what bottom ring out of college, 1 exam under belt actuaries make

kurosh
09-29-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good points.

[ QUOTE ]

But if you just want to maximize $$$, why not use this technical training to become a patent lawyer or an MBA. Jobs that you will likely not like but are almost guaranteed to make more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or combine an MD with law school and join the fury of malpractice litigation that has helped push healthcare to eat up 15% of the U.S. GDP.

[/ QUOTE ]Wouldn't I be in grad school for 10 years?

09-29-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Radiation Oncology.

diebitter
09-29-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Radiation Oncology.

[/ QUOTE ]

Medical research. Medical Statistics is a big field too.

mslif
09-29-2005, 08:09 PM
I am a graduate student in Cellular biology. The specific area I study uses a lot of math i.e. determining diffusion using partial derivative and partial differential equations. Several aspects of integral calculus are used as well. It is extremely interesting. I will be working in research, most likely stem cell research.

rory
09-29-2005, 08:15 PM
do not under any circumstances focus on biology. take as much engineering and mathematics, focusing on computational modeling and numerical methods sorts of classes as you can while an undergrad.

biology you can just read a book and learn. it is a lot harder to do that with engineering and mathematics. once you have a firm grounding in engineering and math you can move onto a more biological-oriented field in graduate school and pick up what you need to know along the way.