PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Reviewing Your Sessions

09-28-2005, 11:38 PM
I'm curious how many people actually take time out and review their poker sessions either by re-reading their hand histories, or replaying them in the PokerTracker gametime window, or just posting them on 2+2 (or whatever method)...

09-28-2005, 11:41 PM
I don't know how the questions got reversed. Oh, well.

I rarely review my hands (big mistake on my part), but I think it's very important to review a lot more than I do.

SackUp
09-29-2005, 01:22 AM
Reviewing your hands is absolutely essential to picking up on leaks and improving your game.

I highly recommend the method suggested by the pokertrackerguide (which I suggest reading an buying btw).

So what I do after each session is go into the hand session and sort them by most money won and most money lost. I review the 8-12 hands that I lost the most money on and review the hands I won the most money on. This way I can look to see if I made really bad mistakes on the big losses (especially getting bet happy or call down happy) and then looking to see how I played the really big pots.

This obviously misses out on many of hte close situations, but it has helped me fix quite a few hands. Also, I definitely advocate posting a hand after playing it if you are really lost. Then you will be able to remember all of the reads and give stats on the players. the time spent doing this is well worth it long term - which btw is the only term people should be worrying about.

ReadyEddie
09-29-2005, 11:32 AM
What i do is i make notes of hands i am unsure on as im playing them. Then i go back and look over those hands in PT.

callmedonnie
09-29-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What i do is i make notes of hands i am unsure on as im playing them. Then i go back and look over those hands in PT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do the same thing. Rereading/reviewing an entire session would drive me insane.

Mister Z
09-29-2005, 01:33 PM
I use a hand converter tool at the pokermentor website which allows you to convert hands and filters out all the preflop folds. So I just export 300 hands or so from PT, stick it in the converter, and it spits out about 30 minutes worth of reviewing material.

hellite
09-29-2005, 02:45 PM
I review usually after every session. This is essential so I can see exactly how thin I had my opponents drawing before they sucked out on me. It doesn't make me feel any better about the losses, but it does help me cry myself to sleep. It would be nice if 2+2 initiated a program like neteller. That is, have weekly and monthly drawings /images/graemlins/grin.gif for cash prizes that you can enter using sklansky bucks. At least this might help my deflating bankroll.

MN_Mime
09-29-2005, 02:52 PM
I don't play as much online as most as you seem to, but I will spend a rainy afternoon and go over hand histories to complete my reads of other players I sse often (I think my leaks will attend to themselves). That way I've got something more useful than random battle notes, "BAD", or a mouse icon to help me next time.

09-29-2005, 03:04 PM
I have just recently started review my hand histories. Of course that can be attributed to a nasty little downturn. /images/graemlins/frown.gif Doing that has in turn led me to find a fairly large leak and a couple of smaller ones that I hopefully have plugged. So I think that in order to get better you have to review and/or replay your sessions. I know it's helping me. Now I just need to start posting more hands. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

thesharpie
09-29-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a better way of doing this than making a mental note, writing a paper note, or typing it in a text editor?

If not I guess I'll open a text editor as I play.

09-29-2005, 05:24 PM
I review my hands when I'm on a downswing. When I'm on an upswing I remember I'm the greatest player in the poker world and reviewing my hands isn't necessary.

MyTurn2Raise
09-29-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I review my hands when I'm on a downswing. When I'm on an upswing I remember I'm the greatest player in the poker world and reviewing my hands isn't necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

so true

GrapeJuice
09-29-2005, 07:28 PM
fwiw, I'd use poker villain. Bizarre noone knows about it. Other than that, you can just pull out the hands afterwards from your PT game list, right? Unless you're 8-tabling, you probably remember what your hole cards were if the hand caused you trouble?

Pog0
09-29-2005, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unless you're 8-tabling, you probably remember what your hole cards were if the hand caused you trouble?

[/ QUOTE ]

I still rememeber while 8-tabling.
Also, most hands that stick out in your mind will be near the top of your net winning or net losing hands, and you can search that way in the game notes section.

09-30-2005, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I use a hand converter tool at the pokermentor website which allows you to convert hands and filters out all the preflop folds. So I just export 300 hands or so from PT, stick it in the converter, and it spits out about 30 minutes worth of reviewing material.

[/ QUOTE ]

I checked this site out. What's the catch?