PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting hands from tonights session

hobbsmann
09-28-2005, 10:44 PM
I don't remember specific reads from both of these hands, but I will post the stats for the relevant villians.

After reading a reply from Rory about how he recommended taking notes will playing to facilitate analyzing hands that brought confusion during a session I decided to give it a try. The following are a couple of hands that I thought I had some interesting decisions....

Hand 1:
UTG is a 50/25/1 monkey
CO is a 63/26/0.8 monkey
SB is unknown

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8 SB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, CO calls, SB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, CO calls, SB folds.

River: (9 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero???

Just to note I was going for a bet/3bet on this flop as I thought the pfr was aggro enough to raise a wide range of hands on the flop. Yesterday I commented on a river action where it was heads up with a 4 flush and hero had a non-flush set and I now realize that a bet is best in that situation. So on this hand has does the situation change with 2 opponents I was pretty lost as to the optimal line here.

In the second hand I don't have much of a read on the villian aside from him being kind of LAGgy and had over played a TPGK hand against me an orbit or so ago. Do we like this river bet?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls, MP calls.

Flop: (12.40 SB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (10.20 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (14.20 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>....

odawg09090
09-28-2005, 11:01 PM
Hand 1: I probably Check-call but not a raise. I hate it. It's a sanity call though.
sure he has 9,8 (risking 2 bets to win 1)

Hand 2: I really don't like to bet this on the river after a flop cap and a turn raise. You have to be more than 66% sure he has 9,8 here to make this a profittable bet. And I I think he'll bet for you (or just call) anyways for the most part if he had top pair.

MoDOH
09-28-2005, 11:07 PM
In hand 1 I would check and depending on the action I would either call or fold.
If it went bet-call or bet-raise I would fold otherwise i call
In hand 2 I would have 3-bet the Turn instead. What makes you think you are behind? Only hands you are behind are 22,77,88 and 99 . To a lesser extent 78,79,89,TJ but...
And why donk the river? The only thing that has changed is that you are now ahead of 89 which isnīt a likely holding to begin with...

W. Deranged
09-28-2005, 11:13 PM
Posting two hands at the same time annoys me, as it leads to discontinuities in posting flow... I take it as a sign you are a giant fish.

Hand #1. I think you need to check here into two players, and NOT overcall.

Hand #2. River bet is nice, though I really only like it if you are capable of folding to a raise from this player. This sort of counterfeit value-betting situation is very interesting in my mind, but one thing to note is that a bet is often going to go in on the river if villain has 98, which means you are often not losing value there anyway. After the turn cap, bets will go in from the lesser overpairs as well much of the time.

obsidian
09-28-2005, 11:16 PM
Check hand 1. People won't generally call here without a heart. Check and don't overcall anyone. If people are left to act behind you I would probably still fold.

3-bet the turn. How often does this guy cap 77-99 or TJ? If he's sane probably not often. You already said he overplays his hands. 3-bet the turn and be prepared to see TT-KK at showdown.

hobbsmann
09-28-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Posting two hands at the same time annoys me, as it leads to discontinuities in posting flow... I take it as a sign you are a giant fish.

Hand #1. I think you need to check here into two players, and NOT overcall.

Hand #2. River bet is nice, though I really only like it if you are capable of folding to a raise from this player. This sort of counterfeit value-betting situation is very interesting in my mind, but one thing to note is that a bet is often going to go in on the river if villain has 98, which means you are often not losing value there anyway. After the turn cap, bets will go in from the lesser overpairs as well much of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

This can serve as a reply to the previous poster as well. Concerning hand 2 I felt given the action from preflop to turn raise his range is very likely to be something like 22/89/JT and maybe a very overplayed A9 as this guy would have raised both 88/99 and other overpairs preflop a vast majority of the time. So given his range the 7 is a very good river card for IMO and I treated betting the river as more of value bet situation.

I do think W. makes a good point that the 89 probably stills bets this river if checked to so a check/call might be better. Check raising the river with the intention of folding to a 3 bet also crossed my mind, but I'm still unsure given his range how viable that is.

MoDOH
09-28-2005, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
River bet is nice, though I really only like it if you are capable of folding to a raise from this player

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding to a river raise in this spot would be a major mistake IMHO. If I were him and had KK I would pop it once more for sure as that 7 didnīt change anything...
Since hero has underrepresented his hand he canīt fold to a river raise

hobbsmann
09-28-2005, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check hand 1. People won't generally call here without a heart. Check and don't overcall anyone. If people are left to act behind you I would probably still fold.

3-bet the turn. How often does this guy cap 77-99 or TJ? If he's sane probably not often. You already said he overplays his hands. 3-bet the turn and be prepared to see TT-KK at showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy limped then called preflop and then went nuts on the flop. It appears you have the main villian and the preflop capper mixed up.

irishpint
09-28-2005, 11:39 PM
hand 1, like everyone has said, ill check and see what happens, not overcalling and not calling a raise obviously.

hand 2 is pretty neat i think. you say he is LAGGY so i figure he would raise 88 or 99 pf probably, which means he either has a set of 2s, 2 pair that we beat now when the board pairs or a straight- but would he cap the turn with a draw? my problem with the hand is i dont think we need to pay off a raise, since if he raises us we're beat like always i think. rather a LAG is going to bet his top pair here often enough and i'd rather pay the same 1 bet and get to showdown.

obsidian
09-28-2005, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This guy limped then called preflop and then went nuts on the flop. It appears you have the main villian and the preflop capper mixed up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm, yes I do. Looks like you are screwed. Don't donk the river.