PDA

View Full Version : Value bet the turn/river?

09-28-2005, 08:26 PM
Villian(s) are semi-passive post flop and it's a protected pot, so I'm not sensing any unusual trickiness.

Do I cap the turn? Do I bet the river? When the board paired and a villian 3-bet I figured odds were good I was up against a better flush or a full house. Then on the river I was thrown by the villian check, but with 2 players still in I was reticent to bet.

Who caps the turn? Who bets the river? If you bet the river, it's a mandatory call if you're check-raised, right?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)
converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (17 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 17 BB

09-28-2005, 08:31 PM
i'm not capping the turn against a check/3bet like that, but once he checks the river i think he's telling you that he has trips and not the nut flush.

deepsquat
09-28-2005, 08:35 PM
This is a super easy turn cap. You think BB plays the flop the way he did with a set? This is an 8 most likely or possibly a flush but we have 3rd nut flush and this needs to be capped imo.

09-28-2005, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a super easy turn cap. You think BB plays the flop the way he did with a set?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, that's exactly what I was thinking. A slow-played set.

Drontier
09-28-2005, 08:57 PM
i cap this turn and bet this river.

baronzeus
09-28-2005, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i cap this turn and bet this river.

[/ QUOTE ]

me454555
09-28-2005, 09:13 PM
The way it played out I think you can value bet that river. The 4s looked like it scared everyone so my read is that SB has a weak hand, prolly AT w/out a spade. BB looks like he mad trips or a weaker flush. I think the river is a value bet b/c you don't have to be right as often b/c you'll get called by both people w/the pot size this big.

Capping the turn is a tougher decision IMHO. If villains is semi passive, than the call 3 bet really scares me. OTOH, you didn't play your hand like you have a flush either so he could read you as having an overpair and call/3bet trips or a weaker flush. I don't think not capping the turn is wrong here given the read but once its checked to you on the river, you have clear value bet

deepsquat
09-28-2005, 09:33 PM
Looking at the flop action i have no idea how anyone could put BB on a set. Even the dumbest/smartest or most passive player in the world will be 3bettingthis flop with perfect position to trap everyone.

09-29-2005, 12:16 AM
Yep, you guys nailed it. I had the best hand and failed to pull in some BB's. I think this is probably a worse leak than hands I lose...failing to extra bets against someone who shows strength.

Villian hands were 89 (the BB) and AT.

Not capping the turn was probably the lesser error, though still bad. Not betting the river was terrible. If someone made the nut flush, they're betting out, not going for a check raise given the way things played out.

Thanks folks.