PDA

View Full Version : Playing against a tricky aggressive player #1

mikeca
05-15-2003, 03:47 AM
I played 0.5/1 at PP for about 3 hours yesterday with an apparently tricky aggressive player (TA) at the same table. I had played against this player about a week ago, and my notes from that session indicate he was very, very weak tight, and never raised pre-flop. Perhaps this was a different person playing from the same account, or he had completely changed his whole style in a week.

I’m in late middle position with Qh Qs. UTG limps, fold, TA limps, couple more folds, and I raise. Cut off, button and blinds fold. UTG and TA call.

Flop is 9h 3h Kh

UTG checks, TA bets out. At this point I have realized TA is not weak, tight anymore. I don’t suspect AK here, but KQ or a heart flush is possible. I figure I am behind, but I have a draw to the second nut flush. I call. UTG folds.

Turn is [ 9h 3h Kh ] Ks

TA bets again. I am now thinking KQ, KJ, and call with my flush draw.

River is [ 9h 3h Kh Ks ] 5h

TA bets out again. I’m confused here. He must have a heart, but is it the Ah? I call.

TA shows Ah Qc for the nut flush.

TA limped UTG+3 with AQo, bet his nut flush draw into a pre-flop raiser on the flop, and continued to bet into me when the board paired on the turn. What should I have done differently here?

RockLobster
05-15-2003, 05:31 PM
Hi Mike--

I would raise the flop to try and take control of this hand, esp. with position. Ideally, you're now heads-up with the flop bettor. I'd call a 3-bet. With all that said, it sometimes doesn't matter what you do at $.50-$1, people will call with just about anything (I have quite a bit of experience at this level).

The turn decisions depend on the outcome of your flop raise. Assuming your heads up, I would
- Bet if checked to.
- Call if bet into (hoping for flush on river, or that my opponent is wild)

River (4th heart, you have 2nd nut flush, board has KK)
Can't fold here. Bet if checked into, call otherwise.

Vehn
05-15-2003, 05:36 PM
I think you played it fine. You're seeing the river regardless and because of your characterization of your opponent you will be seeing a showdown. I would USUALLY raise the turn though and see what happens, and bet the river if a heart or Q comes. To be honest it doesn't matter much what you do here as long as you don't fold. Although you should realize that most low limit players love to bet their draws into preflop raisers so the Ah is likely.

Louie Landale
05-15-2003, 09:16 PM
Perhaps we have different definitions of "tricky". To me, these players ROUTINELY play the flop differently than thier hand warrents. Expect such players to check and either raise now or on the turn when they have something good (such as K), but to bet when they have enough but not very good.

Against THIS player you are a big favorite when he bets out. Now, do you WANT to drive out the 3rd player? You WANT this player in the pot (drawing dead to a small flush or very slim to a small pair), unless he will fold a weak pair of Ks for 2-bets.

Calling the turn encourages him to bluff one more time on the end; a likely scenario for this player. On the end the Heart was a BAD card since the Ah was high on the list of TA's likely holding. So all-in-all I'd say you played this one fine, although for a few poor reasons.

What did you do wrong? You pegged him as "tricky" but then [1] interpreted his play as if he was a straight forward player, and [2] (as per your last paragraph), apparently couldn't believe he bet such a weak hand all the way.

When you peg someone a certain way, go with it. Really.

- Louie

This sort of reminds of a post a while ago: Hero 3-bet with KK and Villian playing EVERY hand called, flopped 9sUp2s and won a big pot from Hero. Hero "couldn't believe he'd play 92". Well, I pointed out that Hero should be SURPRISED if he through any hand away. I mean, what does "playing every hand" really mean?