PDA

View Full Version : $55: Another JJ I botched

Taraz
09-28-2005, 07:12 PM
Just played this one horribly. I'm continuing to see why JJ is the hardest hand for me to play, I have no idea. Thoughts?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t800)
UTG (t2015)
UTG+1 (t927)
MP1 (t940)
MP2 (t945)
MP3 (t1270)
Hero (t1660)
Button (t955)
SB (t488)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls t15, UTG+1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t72.50) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t15</font>, Hero calls t15, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls t15.

Turn: (t117.50) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t150</font>, Hero raises t375, UTG+1 raises t747 all-in, Hero calls . . .

09-28-2005, 07:28 PM
You gotta raise this preflop. You are in position and if you dont raise, even if SB doesnt complete, you are lookin at 3 limpers. Gotta thin the heard to have a shot at making those jacks good.

On the turn, If you were afraid to raise preflop, and didnt raise postflop, why would you push the turn? The jacks had the most value preflop and you wouldnt bet them.

seems like because you dread this hand that you play it too timidly. If you dont want to raise preflop to protect it, then maybe you are better off folding it before it costs you chips and gets you in trouble...those are just my thoughts.

Supersetoy
09-28-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does this look like a man who is beaten by jacks?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I hate jacks too. I do better with pocket 10s than jacks. Don't ask me why. And I've seen other players do worse with jacks than pocket 10s too (with statistical evidence to back it up).

But yes, please raise in your position.

Taraz
09-28-2005, 07:32 PM
I was fine with limping because I was basically playing for set/overpair value. Unfortunately I got the overpair and just played the flop like a bitch.

09-28-2005, 08:15 PM
I understand about playing it cautiously, but there is also playing playing it foolishly. JJ is still a very good preflop hand, whether you like it or not. Limping in with position isnt playing it cautiously, its too cautious and when you play that timidly, you are doing a disservice to yourself and this is probably why you stuggle playing it. Overcome your psychological aversion from JJ and play it like it more aggressively.

As for playing it for overpair and set value...well, you got your overpair and you ended up paying someone off...maybe you should rethink your preflop strategy and loosen up a bit...

Im with you though, i dont like JJ, but i still wouldnt limp in your position there.

Hendricks433
09-28-2005, 08:20 PM
I dont even totally diagree with limping eventough I would raise. You have to raise this flop. I dont think you can push the turn after jsut calling on the flop.